TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal wants fresh legs and fresh minds come tournament time

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal wants fresh legs and fresh minds come tournament time
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 06:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tournament time is a whole new ball game and you better be ready because their are no second chances.

One thing Kentucky coach John Calipari normally tries to do as a season progresses is give his players additional rest to keep them fresh.

This year’s platoon system has reduced the minutes players have played in most games, but Calipari still wants to have a fresh team when postseason play starts in March.

“We’re doing stuff now. I’m not ready to talk about what we’re doing,” said Calipari Tuesday. “It’s a little different than I’ve ever done. I probably want to wait a week before I talk about that. My thing are fresh minds and fresh legs. But there’s all kind of ways of doing this.

“You got coaches at the end of the year that’ll practice three hours, three and a half. They don’t care. That’s what they’re doing. And their teams win, too. Last year we did practice long at the end of the year, longer than I had ever practiced, because we had to. This team is different.”

At South Carolina Saturday, the UK coach gave his players a choice of an early morning shoot around or extra sleep. They chose extra sleep.

“They played well. So I trust them. They’re making decisions (about) what’s best for them and their bodies. We ask and try to get their opinion on it, but at the end of the day – like, today’s practice is that one practice that we’re gonna be after each other,” Calipari said.

Calipari said sometimes it’s hard to know what might work. He remembers UK’s loss at South Carolina late last season and “10 days later we are a different team” that made the NCAA championship game.

“That team that I saw against South Carolina was in the championship game without Willie Cauley (-Stein), who we probably win the whole thing if he’s playing. I have no answer when I watch that tape. Like, that’s crazy,” Calipari said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-29-2015 06:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is doing a great job with minutes and there is no one on the team that 27 minutes a game which is unheard of in modern day basketball.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-29-2015 06:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coach K usually does a good job of managing minutes but even he has 2 players playing 30 minutes and his senior guard Cook playing 35 minutes a game.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-29-2015 11:38 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Without Okafor he has nothing inside!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123982 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-29-2015 11:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Okafor gets in foul trouble Duke has a big problem

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-30-2015 06:41 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
3 games in 5 days, I guess we'll find out jus thow fresh we can be, HUH?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123982 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-30-2015 10:36 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Three games in 5 days should should not be a problem. Our style of play and depth at every position gives us the advantage to play our players less minutes per game. We don't have a player that plays much over a half a game. Three games in 5 days should not cause us any problems. imo

[ 01-30-2015, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-30-2015 12:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think our depth is our biggest asset especially in the NCAA tournament.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com