TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal vs Tubby in first 5 years at UK

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal vs Tubby in first 5 years at UK
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 01:03 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One would think Tubby's deliberate style of play would not compare to Cal's high flying McDonalds All-Americans. The stats show it differently however as Cal's teams have allowed fewer points than Tubby's teams but Tubby's teams averaged more points per game. The difference is minimal and surprising after 5 years. After 5 complete seasons Tubby's teams averaged 76.26 points compared to 75.8 by Cal's teams. Cal's teams allowed opponents 64.02 points per game per 66.2 by Tubby's teams.

The old complaint about Tubby and his slow play has now been put to rest as in 5 seasons of play Cal's teams have averaged less points than Tubby's.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FROM THE GAMES IVE SEEN TUBBYS TEAMS ON TV, THEY GET UP AND DOWN THE FLOOR PRETTY GOOD, IMO TUBBY IS A MUCH BETTER SITUATIONAL, COACH THAN CAL.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-28-2015 01:28 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I liked Tubby, my biggest problem with him was only one trip to the final four, his first year. His recruiting in the last few years wasn't too great either imo.
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 02:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You guys have to admit that Cal with all his high flying Mcdonald All-Americans score less points than Tubby's team in "5" years. Tubby's teams won or tied for 3 SEC titles and 3 SEC tournament titles compared to 2 each for Cal's teams in the same time frame. It also should be noted that Tubby sent a team to the NCAA tournament 10 straight years and never sent a team to the NIT like Cal. These are facts and both coachs had and have great records at Kentucky along with a National Championship and we should be proud of "both" coachs" and their records at Kentucky.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 01-28-2015 02:16 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I don't remember teams playing 'Tubby-ball' until later in his coaching tenure. You know what I mean...pass it around the perimeter for 30 seconds then throw up a prayer. Also, his recruiting the last 2-3 years was just awful; no reason a school like Kentucky shouldn't be in the mix for the top talent in the land, and Tubby rarely got us in the conversation.

I will take Cals up-tempo, dribble drive motion offense any day over watching 10 non-penetrating passes and a prayer. Maybe the kids don't make the shots, but it's a damn sight more fun to watch.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-28-2015 03:52 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatFanInYankeeville:
For what it's worth, I don't remember teams playing 'Tubby-ball' until later in his coaching tenure. You know what I mean...pass it around the perimeter for 30 seconds then throw up a prayer. Also, his recruiting the last 2-3 years was just awful; no reason a school like Kentucky shouldn't be in the mix for the top talent in the land, and Tubby rarely got us in the conversation.

I will take Cals up-tempo, dribble drive motion offense any day over watching 10 non-penetrating passes and a prayer. Maybe the kids don't make the shots, but it's a damn sight more fun to watch.

Tubby's last 5 years UK averaged 74.1 PPG. One basket difference from his first 5. There were some really ugly games though that I can remember. A Kansas game comes to mind.

I liked Tubby. I still like Tubby, but you could see that the UK job had worn him down by the end.

[ 01-28-2015, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 06:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To be honest Trey, Tubby's best move would have been to leave the day he came as there is no way in hades was he going to satisfy a big portion of our fan base and that is sad. He took the Cats to the NCAA tournament all 10 of his years and never even lost the first game. I don't think Kentucky ever had a coach that went 10 straight years to the NCAA tournament.

--------------------

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-28-2015 06:52 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD, I had (and still have) great respect for Tubby. I am glad he is no longer our coach simply because I don't think we'd ever be in the hunt for a championship with him.

I know we won one his first year, but we never made it to the championship game again. His recruiting was getting worse and I would rather be in the hunt for a championship every 3-4 years (and miss the tourney occasionally) than know going in that a championship was not possible. Just my opinion.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 01-28-2015 07:04 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
You guys have to admit that Cal with all his high flying Mcdonald All-Americans score less points than Tubby's team in "5" years. Tubby's teams won or tied for 3 SEC titles and 3 SEC tournament titles compared to 2 each for Cal's teams in the same time frame. It also should be noted that Tubby sent a team to the NCAA tournament 10 straight years and never sent a team to the NIT like Cal. These are facts and both coachs had and have great records at Kentucky along with a National Championship and we should be proud of "both" coachs" and their records at Kentucky.

I never have been a Tubby hater, but what I remember most about his time at UK was his last few years. IMO there was a 0% chance Tubby would have ever won another championship if he retired from UK.

One HUGE difference needs to be pointed out...Tubby followed Pitino while Cal followed Gillispe, enough said.

Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 07:42 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EC, you don't really think with one win, 3 times to the elite eight and "10" straight times to the tournament is being in the hunt? You can't win the tournament unless you get there and Tubby "never" failed to get us there.

He also left Kentucky with 6 players that either played professionally in the NBA, or abroad and some are still playing and putting up big numbers.

Jodie Meeks 3700 points and still playing in the NBA

Patrick Patterson who Tubby recruited and signed with the Cats over Florida and Duke.

Ramel Bradley- Played in the NBA summer league believe is still playing professionally in Europe

Perry Stevenson- played in the NBA D league and Portugal

Joe Crawford played in the NBA for the Lakers and a couple of other NBA teams and I believe is now playing in China.

Ramon Harris plays in the NBA D league for Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

[ 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 08:20 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are we still talking about a coach who was looking for a job before the season was over in his current year?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 08:21 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember, he wasn't fired from KENTUCKY! HE LEFT! He couldn't handle the heat so he got out of the kitchen! He took a step down and went to Minnesota! HE didn't stay there very long either!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 08:23 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THere's only been one Men's B-ball coach that was fired in my lifetime, and he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. (That last statement was easier to see, Hindsight! [Wink] )

--------------------

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-28-2015 08:56 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My best Tubby memory was out coaching coach k in the elite eight. After that season it was hot and cold. There was talent there but he just couldn't get it done. I think that 98 team was not going to be denied. Remember, there was 6 or 7 guys on that team with final four experience...
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 09:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby sent a lot of players to the NBA.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 09:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shandon Anderson, Tayshaun Prince, Rondo, Bogans, and Fitch all played for Tubby and made it to the NBA.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 09:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When Tubby became the coach of the Cats he totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Rupp.

--------------------

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-28-2015 09:19 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD,
Tubby proved for 9 years that "getting there" wasn't enough. I'm glad he's no longer our coach and Cal is. Cal has more McD's AA on this team than Tubby had in 10 years. Like I said, I have great respect for Tubby, but I'm glad he's no longer our coach.

[ 01-28-2015, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: EnterpriseCat ]

--------------------

JD4U

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 09:20 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whatever happen with Tubby and Minnesota?

--------------------

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-28-2015 09:21 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agreed Enterprise
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 09:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Tubster was named national coach of the year honors on three different occasions 1998, 2003 and 2005 and all as head coach of Kentucky. I would think all Kentucky fans would be proud of that.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 09:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would be and I am proud of any coach that won a National Championship for Kentucky.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 09:32 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been waiting for them to hang his jersey in the rafters with all the other national championship coaches!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 09:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's coming MH, it's coming.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 09:58 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TD's jersey is going upon the 21st of February.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 10:07 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A very deserving award for Tony.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 10:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tony is the 43rd person to have his jersey retired at Kentucky.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 10:10 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will be there to see it happen too!

--------------------

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-28-2015 10:11 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am proud that Tubby was our coach. He is a man of class. I am also glad he is no longer our coach.

--------------------

JD4U

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-28-2015 10:18 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TT got beat by 45 tonight...wow
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-29-2015 06:19 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Goodness, I guess the ball line defense took the night off!

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-29-2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THE LINE MUST NOT HAVE BEEN GUARDING TOO GOOD.LOL

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-29-2015 07:06 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MAYBE BALL LINE DEFENSE ONLY WORKS AT HOME, U KNOW MAYBE TARZAN AT HOME, AND JANE ON THE ROAD, HAHAHAHA. LOL. BUT HES A GOOD MAN, HE ALREADY HAS HIS QUOTA OF 10 LOSSES.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com