TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » JOE B. /TO CAL.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JOE B. /TO CAL.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 09:07 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I WAS WATCHING KSTV SPORTS WITH THOMAS BEISNER, AND THEY PLAYED A CLIP ON CAL SAYING THAT JOE ASK HIM, WHEN WE BEAT KANSAS FOR TITLE, WHY DID HE SLOW THE GAME DOWN, WITH 17 MINUTES TO GO, AND CAL SAID MAN I WAS TRYING TO WIN, NOW TO ME, IF U SLOW A GAME DOWN, YOU ARE PLAYING NOT TO LOSE, THATS JMO. CAL DOES IT ALL THE TIME, JUST LIKE WHEN HE PUTS THE WALKONS IN , AND MAKES THEM DRIBBLE THE BALL OUT AND NOT SHOOT, HECK THEY DONT GET NO PLAYING TIME LET EM JACK IT UP, WHO CARES WAT A COACH THINKS, ITS NOT LIKE BOOKER IS STILL SHOOTING. JMO

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-28-2015 09:38 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our team and not real good at trying to sit on a lead, I call it playing not to lose rather than to win the game. It scares me in close games when we start playing the clock with a small lead rather than playing the way that got us the lead to start with.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 09:47 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AND THE KIDS , PLAYERS DONT LIKE TO DO THAT, LIKE RUPP SAID WHEN U GET EM DOWN, STOMP EM, PUT YOUR FOOT ON THEIR NECK. KIDS LIKE TO PLAY FAST THESE DAYS, HECK GONE ARE THE DAYS OF DEAN SMITHS OLD STALL BALL. I TELL U BEING UNDEFEATED STRESSES ME OUT.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-28-2015 10:05 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I suppose that one way of looking at it is to consider our defense. Cal's teams always play great defense, especially by the end of the season. So, by slowing down and reducing the number of possessions, your defense becomes a real asset. We may or may not score out of our offensive set, but we are more likely than they are to do so.

But, I agree.. the same argument holds regardless of the tempo. Let 'em play!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 10:22 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THATS ONE THANG I LIKED ABOUT PITINO, EVEN IN HIS FIRST YEAR HE WOULD RUN A TEAM UNTILL THEIR TONGUES HANGED OUT, HE LOVED DEFLECTIONS, I KNOW RICK AINT POPULAR WITH UK FANS BUT I FOR ONE LIKE HIM, AND HIS COACHING, I WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT HE DONE FOR UK, AFTER I READ THAT SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ARTICLE AND FRONT PAGE IT SAID, SHAME, RICK SAID THAT DAY WHEN HE WAS INTRODUCED IN THE RAIL FRAIL LOOKING, AND I QUOTE, HE SAID WE WILL BE WINNERS, IT MAY NOT BE IN WINS AND LOSSES RIGHT NOW BUT WE WILL BE WINNERS, AND WE WERE, ROCK OLIVER SAID RICK TOLD HIM AFTER WATCHING OUR 8 PLAYERS MOSTLY WHITE COULDNT JUMP, BUT ROCK SAID RICK SAID ROCK, GET EM IN SHAPE, BECAUSE THERES ONE THANG THEY CAN DO IS SHOOT THE BALL, GET THEM IN SHAPE AND WE WILL RUN AND SHOOT TEAMS IN THE GROUND, THEY BOUGHT INTO IT, HECK RICHIE QUIT WENT BACK TO CLAY COUNTY, AND RICK WENT TO CLAY COUNTY AND TOLD HIM HECK WE MAY AS WELLALL QUIT, AND RICHIE CAME BACK WITH HIM, AND IT WAS ON, THAT TEAM SCORED A 100 POINTS ABOUT 8 TIMES I THINK, I WILL NEVER THROW RICK UNDER THE BUS, HE WAS A WINNER. AND I LOVED WATCHING US PLAY. WHEN CM, HIRED RICK, HE TOLD OSCAR COMBS THERE IS A GUY IM GOING AFTER TO COACH OUR TEAM, AND IM GONNA GET HIM. I COULD GO ON AND ON, ABOUT THIS, CAUSE I WAS THERE. BUT I WONT TAKE ANY MORE TIME UP HERE ON RICK, BUT I LIKE RICK.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-28-2015 11:20 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Pitino is a heck of a coach. Just wouldn't want my daughters anywhere near him. [Smile]

I think that he has found it slightly harder to recruit the kind of talent he used to get at Kentucky. It may be a stereotype, but I think Cal is getting both highly skilled players AND players with high character. Pitino gets some skilled players, but often has to settle for less on the character side. It often ends up biting him.

If Pitino had remained at Kentucky, I am convinced we would have 2 or 3 more titles at least. Imagine if he had the players we have today!

But, he goofed and left for Boston, then goofed again and came back to Little Brother. And, ultimately, we got Cal. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-28-2015 11:33 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, if the same lady is working the TSA line in Indy the next time I fly, I may volunteer for a private pat-down. [Smile]

Cavity search? Sure, babe!

--------------------
Tiptree

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 11:42 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TT, that is very good explanation as defense and Cal seem to go together. He does put a emphasis on defense at least since he has coached our Cats. What I can't understand is why can't you also play faster and score more points on offense and take advantage of our good defensive play?

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-28-2015 11:50 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally don't like games that score 100 pts or ,more that is not the type of basketball I like. I love a good college game in the sixties and seventies score wise and enjoy watching teams play good defense. I was never a fan of Pitino either, never liked him at Kentucky but do like the fact that he put excitement back into Kentucky basketball but feel that any good coach coming in at that time would have probably done the same thing Rick did. There was only one way to go and that was BACK UP, we had bottomed out with all the transfers.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-28-2015 11:52 AM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GB, read The Last Great Game, (Duke vs Kentucky, and the 2.1 seconds that changed basketball) Great book which goes into detail how Pitino got the UK job and how the players adapted to his style. Has great interviews with players too. Also has both Duke and Kentucky perspectives on the game. Great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THANX RR I BOUGHT THE FULL COURT PRESSURE BOOK, AND HE SIGNED IT AT BORDERS BOOK STORE BACK WHEN HE WAS AT KY, SHE ENJOYED IT HE SIGNED IT FOR MY DAUGHTER. HE WAS IN TRI COUNTY IN CINCINATTI. I WILL CHECK THAT BOOK OUT ON AMAZON. RR.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-28-2015 01:11 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats pretty cool, I'll have to read that, I like ole slick Rick too GB, and will be forever grateful for what he did for the Cats!!!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-28-2015 03:53 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why can't we do both? Play a smothering defense and make them take a bad shot as the time clock runs out. Then run it down the floor and score quickly. Taking the full clock on offense sometimes leads to a hurried bad shot and most times you don't score. I agree that continuing to stomp on a team when you get them down should continue till the buzzer sounds or you have less than 30 seconds.
Posts: 14116 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-28-2015 04:20 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We do that now --We do get in transition whenever the opportunity arises but if not then we get in our offense and work for a good shot.

Our defense is soooo good that the other team takes a lot of time off the clock attempting a good shot then our offense takes over either scoring in transition or out of our set offense..

Maybe we are watching different games! [Confused]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 05:59 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, I guess it's in the eye of the beholder we all look at things differently at times.

--------------------

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-29-2015 10:27 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I get what you said earlier about less possessions for the other team. However, you typically use that philosophy if you have less talent, or your team is not as good defensively. Trust me, I have to do that alot. I would think with our defense and talent, we would not have to worry about posessions for the other team. It should be the opposite where we are trying to have as many possessions as possible on offense. I get doing it when there is 2 minutes or less left and you are up by 10, but up 6-8 with 4 minutes left, I don't get doing it. I hate dribbling around, pass,a nd then with 10 seconds to go set the pick up top and go. Late game, okay; 4 minutes or more, no. But we are winning, so I guess we can say it is working. Or do we win in spite of that mind set?
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-29-2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't like it either. I prefer to keep up the pressure, attack the basket, and score as quickly as possible. Nothing demoralizes an opponent more than seeing the deficit grow as time winds down.

But the fact is that Cal prefers to start playing the clock fairly early in most games (typically with 5-8 minutes to go). I have been scratching my head and trying to figure out why, because I just don't get it. The only other thought that came to me was maybe he was making them play defense for as long as possible, thus further tiring out what by then should be a very tired opponent.

But any thought I had can be countered. I guess this is just part of Cal's way of managing games. I would much, much rather see us running our attack-mode offense all game long, even if it is the scrubs doing it.

--------------------
Tiptree

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-29-2015 05:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is a strong willed person and he is going to do what he thinks right. It's hard to say to much with his record but sure do wonder at times.

--------------------

bleedblue12
Player
Member # 3137

posted 01-30-2015 03:32 PM      Profile for bleedblue12        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish Coach Hall would teach Cal the 1-3-1 zone trap which I think was created by Coach Rupp. I'd love to see them trap more especially in the corners and full court.
Posts: 90 | From: fishers, in | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-30-2015 04:13 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate this strategy from a viewers standpoint, but Cal sure works it to perfection. If we have a lead with six or seven minutes to go, we win just about all of those games. Cal knows how to get a game over with when he wants to.
Posts: 10321 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-30-2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I WISH CAL WOULD LEARN HOW TO STOP THAT DOUBLE PICK ON IN BOUNDS PLAYS, EVERY COACH KNOWS HE CANT AND THEY SCORE ON IT ALL THE TIME MISSOURI DID LAST NIGHT TWICE IN A ROW, I THOUGHT DOES CAL KNOW WHAT A DOUBLE SCREEN IS.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com