TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » whats wrong with college basketball?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whats wrong with college basketball?
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 04:19 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes--what-s-wrong-with-college-basketball-and-how-to-fix-it-082255594-ncaab.html

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-28-2015 06:17 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pat Forde is correct -- the game has become less enjoyable to watch. But I place the blame primarily on the referees. They are fully in control of how much bumping, slapping, pushing, and hacking is going on. Coaches (and players) will adapt to what is allowed.

But, Forde being Forde, he just can't help but to sully Kentucky's season. He does make brief mention of Virginia's agonizingly slow pace, but the focus of the article is those big, brutish Wildcats. [Roll Eyes]

Good to hear from you, Pat. Now go back to your little sad corner of the world and write some more hate articles.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 06:46 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So far this season, I've seen absolutely nothing wrong with NCAA B-ball. We're undefeated! [Wink]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-28-2015 09:40 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For once I agree with Ford. I tried watching Bama and Florida last night, ugly game, unworthy of watching. Final score was 52 to 50, hardly worthy of being on TV. Alabama are really a very bad team, I would think Grant might be in his last year as their coach. They were a lot more competitive when they had Mark Gottfried.

[ 01-28-2015, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-28-2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the article yet, but I think college basketball has been going down the tubes for about a decade now. I think a lot of it has to do with AAU basketball and kids not knowing the fundamentals of the game. You also don't have a lot of upper skilled Juniors and Seniors because they have all left for the NBA, and to many teams have become so physical on defense that is stalls play.

They have tried to improve the flow of the game, but I think they let it go so long that the officials possibly can't get it fixed now. An official could call three or four fouls on nearly every possession down the court right now.

I really stopped watching the college game, other than UK, about 5 years ago and I used to watch 20 to 30 games a week probably. Now I find the NBA so much more enjoyable. It took the NBA nearly two decades to clean up and overcome the Detroit Pistons "Bad Boy" and New York Knicks "football on the basketball court" type of play in the NBA. The NBA today reminds me of the NBA in the early 80's when you had the Celtics, Lakers, Hawks, and 76ers running the break and scoring, while at the same time still playing defense with their feet and not their hands.

The NBA has a great product right now in my opinion.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-28-2015 10:32 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, I am just the opposite, watch at least thirty college games or parts of them per week but never watch an NBA game. I agree, college basketball right now is a damaged product and I find myself enjoying it less and less with the exception of our Cats. There are really some bad teams in college basketball this year and only a few quality good ones. I have never really been much of a fan of professional sports, like amateur sports and watch no professional sports on tv other than golf. Same way with football, watch the college version but not the NFL. Used to be a Washington Redskin season ticket holder for some forty years but after the Joe Gibbs era, lost interest in their game too.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-28-2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC,

I wish I still liked to watch the college game like I use to. I knew a lot more about other teams, but like you said it is a damaged product. I did put on the Florida and Bama game for about 5 minutes last night and turned it off.

I actually watched UK vs. Michigan last year in the Regional Final since I have it on DVR. That was a great college basketball game. Actually UK played 4 great college games in a row last year (Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan, and Wisconsin) in the tournament.

[ 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 12:06 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THE REASON MID MAJOR TEAMS ARE BETTER IS BECAUSE THEIR PLAYERS ARE STAYING 4 YEARS, AND PLAY TOGETHER AND GET BETTER, YOU TAKE WESTERN KY I THINK THEY HAVE WON 11 GAMES IN A ROW NOW.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 01-28-2015 02:19 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't stand the NBA. The lack of effort on defense and the way the 'stars' get every single call to go their way is sickening.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 02:44 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like watching both college and the pro's. I do think watching the pro's is fascinating because they are the best of the best but hate to see how the games are called. The college game is fun to watch too as you can see teams and players get better by the game.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-28-2015 03:55 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that the stars get more calls in the NBA, but I would disagree about the defense being played. I think they play great defense in the NBA, but sometimes the skill level of the offensive players is just ridiculous and they make tough shots.

When Klay Thompson put up his 37 points in the 3rd quarter against the Kings last week I would say he was very well defended on 11 of his 13 shot attempts and makes. I see that a lot watching the NBA. Just unbelievable talent and skill in the league.

--------------------

redbone

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 06:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I enjoy the passing even more than the shooting it's amazing to see how some of the better point guards can thread a needle to get the ball to the shooter in at the right time and in the right place.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com