TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Draft expert on WCS-Dakari-Andrew & Ulis

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Draft expert on WCS-Dakari-Andrew & Ulis
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2015 03:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting article.

Veteran NBA draft analyst Ed Isaacson of NBADraftBlog.com took time to offer his insights about some Kentucky basketball players:

Question: Has coming back to UK improved Cauley-Stein’s status with NBA personnel? What improvements/changes have you see in his game?

Isaacson: I don’t know if it really has been as significant as some may make it out to be. I said last year that he could be a late lottery pick because of his size/athleticism combo, and I think if he’s any higher, it’s not by much. He’s still very challenged on the offensive end, from an NBA point of view, but he will be able to provide teams defensive help immediately. “

Question: What other player has impressed you the most from a NBA potential standpoint and why?

Isaacson: “Other than Booker, Dakari Johnson comes to mind. The commitment that he has put in to changing his body is the kind of things that resonates with NBA personnel. His game has slowly improved as well, but a lot of that comes from just being able to move better. Johnson still has a lot of work to do, but he is in a better position now than he was at the end of last season.”

Question: Finally, just from your perspective, what player holds the biggest key to UK winning a national title and why?

Isaacson: “To me, it’s two guys — Andrew Harrison and Tyler Ulis. Depending on how the minutes are going to be handled by March, it will still come down to the point guard position in the tight games. Getting Booker and Aaron Harrison the ball in good spots will be important, and both Ulis and Andrew Harrison have their individual strengths, which can be used accordingly to the match up. The team will need a leader out there, and they will look to those two to get it done.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-27-2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with most of what he said but.......he made no mention of Johnson's jumping ability ? He has lost weight to improve his body and works harder but........ he's not going to improve his jumping ability much. He will get out jumped and have a lot of shots blocked in the NBA. If he can't see that then he is blind or just overlooking the fact.
Posts: 14157 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-27-2015 06:51 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a shame that after almost three years at UK, Willie basically dunks all of his made shots. He did hit one mid range face the basket shot recently but it has not been taught to him as a tool he should use on a regular basis and that is sad. Willie is probably the most athletic big man ever to play at UK and his game has improved since he has been with us but his offensive game has improved very little. If he has the offensive skills to match his defense, he would be the top pick in the NBA at the end of this season. I fear our coaches have done very little to help Willie offensively but then again, he just may not have the natural tools to be a jump shooting big man. Willie will have a good NBA career and make a ton of money, that is what is important at this point in his career, that, and helping win us another national championship. Willie is one of my favorite all time UK players.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-27-2015 08:32 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the big guy are practicing more shots than we give them credit for. Slice was doing the coaches show last night when he reported he had a text from Towns wanting to know if he'd go over to the gym with him and get up some shots!

THese boys have been told what they need to do to get to the next level. Don't think the work ethic isn't there because I believe it is!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2015 10:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Getting to the next level is why they come to Kentucky.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 02:33 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
Getting to the next level is why they come to Kentucky.

well then its not a players first as cal says if it was he would try and teach em, instead of a nba pipeline. I do not care for cals one and done system. and it will go away, and then what will he do? because imo cal cannot win with all three star players he gets players that are as good as they will be, if you are a true basketball fan u would like to watch them develop junt my opinion and it wont change.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 06:44 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me personally, I'm happy tohave the best talent in teh nation year in and year out! I don't thin khe got THAT many 1 and dones at the other two programs he coached. Sure he had 1 or 2 at those programs but not nearly this many!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-28-2015 07:07 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal does teach, and he is widely recognized as a great teacher.

He is the most vocal opponent to the NBA's ridiculous age limit, which creates the whole "one and done" system. Cal has said many times that he would love to have his players stay for two, three, or four years. Imagine our team this year, with Davis and MKG as seniors, Nerlens as a Junior, and James and Randle as sophomores!

Anyway, I think the basic assumption is that without his 'pipeline to the NBA', Cal couldn't recruit. Here are a couple of differing thoughts:

(1) Built in to that assumption is the idea that these kids are NBA-ready, and just have to endure a year in college before they go pro. I think that may be true in a few instances, but I also think that Cal's offense and defense, his teaching, everything is designed to prepare his players for the pros. And it works, so this is a huge advantage for him.

(2) While I think the number of top-quality players coming to UK would slow down if the NBA were to revert to allowing High School kids to go directly into the league, Cal is still the coach of the University of Kentucky, and we would still get our fair share of the diluted talent pool.

(3) Should the NBA wise up and go the OTHER way and require kids to play two or even three years of college ball, then I think Cal would thrive even more. A small handful of programs would basically get all the top talent, and Uk would be foremost in that group.

If NBA scouts could see players play at the top level of college competition for two or three years, then the whole idea of drafting kids only on potential would diminish. With more data, the need to gamble is reduced. The league would benefit, and the college game would benefit. I really don't understand why the Players Union wants this rule.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13621 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-28-2015 10:34 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal and his staff do a great job of improving players.

The two players that quite possibly made the biggest improvement happen to be the two most talented player he has ever coached: Anthony Davis and Derrick Rose. When he got to UK his offensive game was mostly dunks off of lobs or put backs. By the time he left, he had three pretty damn good post moves and was even knocking down some threes. Rose was a turnover machine when he got to Memphis with limited range and by the end of the season he had become an extraordinary point guard with a much improved jump shot.

DeAndre Liggins improved tremendously, Josh Harrellson, Eric Bledsoe, MKG, Teague, etc.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-28-2015 10:39 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WELLTHATS WHY WE ALL GOT OUR OWN OPINIONS AND SEE, COACHES DIFFERENT. [Smile] I LIKE AND RESPECT CAL, I JUST DONT LIKE HIS STYLE, OF BASKETBALL HE PLAYS, YEAH WE ARE 19 AND 0. BUT RUPP WON 129 STRAIGHT HOME GAMES ONCE. IMO RUPP WAS THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME, ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com