TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » HERES A GAME OF THE WOODCHUCK.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HERES A GAME OF THE WOODCHUCK.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 12:00 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=W2Bt7LmSDMs&x-yt-cl=84503534#t=118

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-26-2015 09:05 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green-bean,

Those boys are playing some great fundamental basketball. Looks very different from the AAU ball our kids play. Makes me wish for the old days...

We had a husband-and-wife team come to the college I work for for a year as graduate students. They both played basketball, and joined our "NBA" (noon-time basketball league). They were such well-coached and skilled players!

I am not sure what a "woodchuck game" is, but that was a fun game to watch.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TIP I LOVE FUNDEMENTAL BASKETBALL, THATS WHAT WE PLAYED BACK IN THE DAY, PRINCETON USED TO PLAY THAT FUNDEMENTAL BALL, A THANG OF BEAUTY, RUPP SAID ONE TIME IN HIS PRACTICE THAT I SNEAKED IN AND WATCHED WHEN I WAS 13 AND WORKING FOR UK, HE TOLD HIS PLAYERS IF YOU JUST PLAY FUNDEMENTAL BASKETBALL WE WILL WIN EVERY GAME, WHEN RUPP COACHED, THE PLAYERS WOULD COME OUT TO PRACTICE AND U COULD HEAR A PIN DROP, NO ONE SAID A WORD, BUT HIM.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 09:17 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Times have changed and would be interesting to see how Rupp would have done with all the talented athletes of today.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 09:18 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The talent level of these kids today are mind-boggling.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 09:19 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can you imagine a player like Anthony Davis or John Wall playing in the 50's?

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WILT CHAMBERLAIN, AND BILL RUSSELL, WAS PRETTY DARN ATHLETIC. SO WAS HAL GREER, AND JOHN HAVLECHEK, AND WALT FRAZIER.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 09:54 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The today's players are so many compared to the past and if your honest Bill Russell would not be near as good in todays time. Russell was 6'9 or maybe 6'10 with his shoes on. He was not near as agile and with his size in todays game he would probably have to play a power forward and today's power forwards and play and drive like guards. imo

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-26-2015 10:29 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the greats of old would give today's greats a good game.

Would they be as athletic? No. But they could put the ball into the basket and defend. As we have seen all year, the less-athletic team can dictate the tempo.

Bill Russel. Larry Bird. John Havlicek, Oscar Robinson. Wes Unseld. Oh, the team that could be made!

BTW, in my post above, I omitted the key part: that husband-and-wife team were from New Zealand. Those Kiwis could play some ball!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 03:53 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
pistol pete could play with anyone, imo Oscar robinson was the greatest player of all time. I tell u elgin Baylor was good too. we beat elgin and seattle, in the championship game back in the day. I think the bigs back in the day were better than they are today, I mean true centers etc, like walt bellamy, and others I agree with tip, I think the guys back then could hang, cause they had basketball iq, don't forget jerry west. those old time guys were true basketball players they would out smart you, and they didn't have to dunk, cause u wasn't allowed to dunk back in the day. sam jones was good them Celtics my favorite pro team had some great teams back in the day.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 06:07 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What made Boston so good was the way they ran. They won 12 titles between 62-86 when Auerbach ran every team into the ground and they only had 7 basic plays..

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com