TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » still undefeated, but a long way to go (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: still undefeated, but a long way to go
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-25-2015 06:52 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's pretty obvious we score better in transition than in the half court set!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 01-25-2015 07:14 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When we play that slow down pass it around until theres 10 sec left on the 35 sec clock does not work at all. These guy's need to run, run,run!!! Turn them horses loose baby!!!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-25-2015 09:24 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like thoroughbreds, they have to run!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-26-2015 06:39 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh you silly old timers. Just because Cal is not running the Wheel, the Flex or having guys screen off the ball does not mean he is not good at Xs and Os. IMO he is one of the best in this ERA. Its the AAU ERA and like it or not the game today is about isolation. Cal is the greatest manager of talent I have ever seen. He knows who they need to attack and how. Thats how our offense is ran. Spread the ball out and pick 1 or 2 or 3 of the 9 Burger Boys and go at the other teams weakest link.

Also our offense is not ran on the offensive end of the floor. Our Offense is created by our Defense and Rebounding. Shoot and Fetch. Attack the other teams weak player and send our team that is only shorter than 1 NBA team (Portland Trail Blazers) to the glass and go get it. Thats why Cal wants us to shoot more because we can suffocate teams on defense and being relentless on the glass.

Screening off the ball or running sets in this ERA is ran by less athletic and less talented teams. Its the Run and Gun Isolation ERA. Screening takes time and takes athletes out of the game. Athletes need to get up and down. Ball players need to get up and down. This is also why Wiltjer is killing it for Gonzaga but he was riding the pine for us. He just couldn't keep up! Facts are Facts old timers. When was the last time you stepped on the court? I sure when you did you said... "what happened to the game? Y'all boys just keep running up and down? Up and Down! Lets run a play..." Not in this ERA. Jimmy Chipwood is not going to get caught watching the paint dry when Cal runs the Picket Fence at them.

PS... I know I called y'all old couple of times and it was just in good fun. I love all you old timers that bleed blue! Go Big Blue!

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 838 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 07:56 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TROUBLE IS WE ARE NOT RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE COURT, HAVE SOME OF U CHECKED THE SCORES LATELY, FROM OUR GAMES. I WOULD HARDLY CALL THAT RUNNING. MAYBE WHERE IM OLD I DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. IN RUNNING AND WALKING. [Smile]

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-26-2015 08:00 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green bean you are right. And thats why I think we are not putting up numbers. Our run outs are limited. The big reason why Cal wants to push the pace is because even when it is sloppy, our guys are still going to come out on top. Our depth and athletic ability will run teams out of the gym. Thats why teams are slowing the pace down when they play us. We just got to get out and run on teams.

--------------------
RLTW!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 08:00 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Basketball has changed just like everything else and with todays athletes who are bigger, stronger, and yes more athletic you have to change your sets to give these players the best chance to use their abilities.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 08:05 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cals recruiting is to convince his recruits that he can get them the best chance to the NBA and that is what he does and his record proves it.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 08:12 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The athletes Cal recruits are the best of the best and are more athletic than most others and need the opportunity to show their skills. We may disagree with his style of play at times but we all have to remember he is trying his best to use his players to the best of their God given talents.

[ 01-26-2015, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 09:07 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WHO?UK:
Green bean you are right. And thats why I think we are not putting up numbers. Our run outs are limited. The big reason why Cal wants to push the pace is because even when it is sloppy, our guys are still going to come out on top. Our depth and athletic ability will run teams out of the gym. Thats why teams are slowing the pace down when they play us. We just got to get out and run on teams.

WHO?UK WITH THE ATHLETES WE HAVE AND THE GUARDS WE HAVE, WE CAN MAKE THESE TEAMS RUN, AND PLAY OUR STYLE. NOW THATS JMO.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-26-2015 12:07 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GB I also agree with that and that is my only frustration with this team on offense. I want the game to be sloppy and look like a pick up game because for 40 minutes no team can run with us. Not even close. Teams may be able to sustain it for a half but not 40 minutes.

--------------------
RLTW!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YEA WHO WHEN WE GET UP ON THEM BY 8 OR 10 POINTS AND WE WILL THEN THEY HAVE TO PLAY OUR GAME.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-26-2015 01:33 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Teams can only beat us by slowing the game up and by playing a lot of zone. That is why Coach likes to grind them out now to get ready for March as we will face the better teams using slow down tactics.

No team in the nation can run with us! period!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-26-2015 02:41 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fact

--------------------
RLTW!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 03:07 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WHO?UK:
Fact

I agree. and then run some more.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-26-2015 04:22 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I am not an old timer (42), but I am on my way. You can still play a fast pace style of ball using screens and movement. THere is movement in the dribble drive when you run it right, the way CAl drew it up at his coaching clinic. I don't think we play a fast style. They do push, but if it is not there, then we settle into pass around the perimeter,stand on the perimeter, someone drive and shoot. The posts do work for position, but I hate when we let the clock get to 10 seconds and then just do the pick up top while everyone stands. I would love if we did run more, and I would love to see us press more. And I mean press, not just occassionally see if we can get a trap, I mean run an actual press and force tempo and steals. I am all for our defense being our first offense, that is what I teach, but if you have to set up you need to be able to execute and move to get some better shots. We are 19-0 and I love it, I just hope our defense can continue to carry us, and that our opffense is ready to explode come tournament time. Maybe there will be an offensive "tweak" at tournament time.
Posts: 5438 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2015 06:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have so much depth it's the perfect team to run and the more the better. The more ball pressure we put on teams the more steals we get and the more steals the more we can run.

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-26-2015 10:24 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Respect the head coach - he doesn't like the full court all in your face defense. Not his style period!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-26-2015 11:37 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ITS NOT A MATTER OF RESPECT, ITS A MATTER OF DISAGREEING, WITH PULLING THE BALL OUT WAY TOO EARLY, STEP ON THE PEDAL, IF YOU GONNA RECRUIT ALL THESE GREAT PLAYERS LET EM GET OUT AND PLAY BASKETBALL. IM NOT A FAN OF WALKING THE BALL UP THE COURT. CAL IS, BUT THAT DONT MEAN I DONT RESPECT HIM, I DIAGREE WITH HIS STYLE. BUT THATS JUST ME.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-27-2015 12:19 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
Well, I am not an old timer (42), but I am on my way. You can still play a fast pace style of ball using screens and movement. THere is movement in the dribble drive when you run it right, the way CAl drew it up at his coaching clinic. I don't think we play a fast style. They do push, but if it is not there, then we settle into pass around the perimeter,stand on the perimeter, someone drive and shoot. The posts do work for position, but I hate when we let the clock get to 10 seconds and then just do the pick up top while everyone stands. I would love if we did run more, and I would love to see us press more. And I mean press, not just occassionally see if we can get a trap, I mean run an actual press and force tempo and steals. I am all for our defense being our first offense, that is what I teach, but if you have to set up you need to be able to execute and move to get some better shots. We are 19-0 and I love it, I just hope our defense can continue to carry us, and that our opffense is ready to explode come tournament time. Maybe there will be an offensive "tweak" at tournament time.

UKMAN U ARE NOT A OLD TIMER, BUT YOU ARE A VERY SMART MAN WHEN IT COMES TO BASKETBALL, YOU AND I AGREE 100 PERCENT ON HOW TO PLAY THE GAME, YOU ARE ALOT SMARTER THAN ME ON IT, BUT I LOVE HOW U BREAK IT DOWN, AND WE THINK ALIKE ON THIS, VERY GOOD POSTER, YOU ARE.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-27-2015 02:38 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
Respect the head coach - he doesn't like the full court all in your face defense. Not his style period!

I agree. Coach has never and will never run a "run and jump press". Honestly the only coach that I know of that runs a run and jump consistenantly is Ricky. Coach doesn't even like running zone in the half court. It's man to man! I'm better than you, NBA style. To get these kids ready. To show new recruits that UK is the best place to go to if you are trying to go to the league. When he does press it's just to speed the game up, not necessarily for a trap. No other UK coach has ever had a better start to their time at UK than Cal. His way works and I'll sit back and enjoy tripe wins.

--------------------
RLTW!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-27-2015 06:49 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Donovan runs that type of defense too. He learned from the master!

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-27-2015 06:56 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You don't find too many full court pressing teams winning the national championship if that is their primary defense. Championships are won by grinding it out in the half court and basketball is a very simple game which basically breaks down to two on two much of the time. Too many people try to complicate a game that is not all that complicated. Pitino would have won a national championship in 97 had he been wise enough to play Arizona a half court game rather than press and let Bibby and Simeon break the press which led to Arizona shooting lay ups all night. We had far superior talent to Arizona and should have won that game easily but our coach failing to make adjustments to his defense cost us dearly.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-27-2015 08:06 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WE WOULD HAVE WON TOO IN 97 IF PITINO HAD PLAYED ANDERSON JUST IN THE OVERTIME, DOCTORS CLEARED HIM, BUT PITINO DID NOT WANT VEGAS, BOYS ON HIS ARSE, AFTER SAYING ANDERSON WOULD NOT PLAY, THE NBA PLAYS ONE ON ONE BASKETBALL, BUT THEY DO PUSH THE BALL ALOT, A HALF COURT TRAPPING PRESS WORKS PRETTY WELL, ALOT. IOWA STATE IS A VERY GOOD TEAM, THEY PLAY UP TEMPO SOMEWHAT.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-27-2015 09:05 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The thing is, Anderson went full bore in Friday's practice before the weekend of the NCAA Final Four!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2015 09:09 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You have to play the style that fits your players abilities the best. Cal recruits size and the most talented players in the country. This years team is so talented and diverse they could play most any style Cal wants them to. He has got them playing great defense but it looks like they still are trying find their identity on offense. The good thing is they are undefeated and still can get a lot better on the offensive side of the ball. When they get to playing on offense like they are on defense this team could be scary good and rank up there with the very best teams of all times. They really are that talented.

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-27-2015 09:45 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I DIAGREE WITH HIS STYLE. BUT THATS JUST ME."

Hard for me to disagree with anything he does as his style and record speak for themselves! [Wink]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-27-2015 09:56 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
"I DIAGREE WITH HIS STYLE. BUT THATS JUST ME."

Hard for me to disagree with anything he does as his style and record speak for themselves! [Wink]

WELL WE FINALLY AGREE.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-27-2015 01:53 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love that we just had a discussion of over 50 post about our team that is 19-0! We all need to stop this is hilarious! Go BIg Blue! I love how passionate we are as a fan base! But will we ever be satisfied? Hahahah

--------------------
RLTW!

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-27-2015 03:09 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WHO UK, I think everyone is totally satisfied with this team. This is just an opinion forum for fans of the Cats and there are some very intelligent, knowledgable fans here who really know the game and have various opinions on the style of basketball teams play, offensively and defensively. I have not seen anyone criticize this team.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-27-2015 03:20 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been on this forum since 2004!!!! I know what this place is about. Hahahaha but I still find it funny that WE myself included find the time to discuss where our offense is lacking. At the end of the day we are 19-0 and Coach Cal is killing it. That's why we pay him 7.5 million.

--------------------
RLTW!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-27-2015 08:15 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your team can never be so good that there isn't room for improvement!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-27-2015 09:14 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rebounding and free throw shooting are the first tow things that come to mind that this team could improve on!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2015 09:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bet Cal would tell you we have to improve on every facet of the game

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-27-2015 10:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't disagree with him, "THE BEST NEVER REST!"

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-27-2015 10:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You got that right,no rest for the wicked. [Wink]

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 01-27-2015 10:28 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IF WE WERE NOT MONDAY MORNING QB'S THERE WOULD BE NO BOARD. EVERYBODY LIKES A GOOD CIVIL DISCUSSION.JUST WAIT TILL WE WE LOSE A GAME, AND WATCH THE CAT HAIR GET PICKED OFF, LOL.U CANT REST ON YOUR LAURELS, U GOT TO KEEP STRIVING FOR PERFECTION AND WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO YET. 19 AND 0 IS JUST A NUMBER, WE GOT TO KEEP TRYING TO GET BETTER, WE WILL NEVER BE PERFECT, AND NO ONE EXPECTS US TO BE PERFECT, YEA WE TALK IT BUT WE KNOW BETTER.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-28-2015 06:25 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It hasn't been done in so long that this generation hasn't even seen it!

--------------------

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-28-2015 02:35 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could not agree more with the above. Go Big Blue!

--------------------
RLTW!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-28-2015 08:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We sure have a chance to go undefeated and even if we don't we still are going to have a great season.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com