TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What would it take to beat Kentucky? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: What would it take to beat Kentucky?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe 10 NBA players and a couple of ref's that hate Kentucky.

UCLA coach Steve Alford is right, Kentucky could well go unbeaten this year.

“In my 24 years of coaching, this is the best team I’ve coached against. This team is really, really good,” said Alford after UK blitzed his team Saturday in Chicago.

So with Louisville coming up this Saturday, what kind of team is it going to take to beat them?

“They’re a hard team to man, and we tried zoning, and that didn’t work. So we went man, and they’re a very difficult team to man because they’ve got very good inside out,” said Alford. “I would think if a team can come in with a lot of length and throw a zone out there that’s got length and really gets them out of the paint to where they have to shoot jump shot after jump shot, okay, and that might sound like a good game plan, but they rebound — for every two shots they take, they rebound one of them.

“It’s just a hard team to play against. I think their key is defensively. I really think this is a team that if you guard them well and they score 50 points and shoot 20 percent from the field, they still beat you because they hold you to 35. I just think that’s their makeup.

“This team is focused, it’s driven. There’s not a weakness on the team. It is, it wasn’t a fun team for me to watch today, but I’ll enjoy watching it the rest of the season, because it’s good basketball that’s really well coached with really good players.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 08:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is high praise coming from from a coach that was born with a basketball in his hand.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-22-2014 12:39 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously UK is playing great, but I actually think there are 5 teams that I believe are capable of beating UK on a given night:

Virginia/Duke/Louisville/Wisconsin/Arizona

UK's two main Achilles heel are consistent perimeter shooting and cleaning the defensive glass.

I think there are some really good teams in college basketball this year.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-22-2014 07:42 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree on those 5 teams. The can all beat us if things go slightly wrong. But Louisville is the only one left on the schedule. I think a good number of those 5 teams will get knocked off on the way to the final 4 and we'll never have to face them. The can all be beat on a given night also and a lot of them will find that out.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-22-2014 08:01 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has his most experienced team by his standards at Kentucky. That being said, UK still puts a lot freshmen and sophomores out on the floor. They are dominating top ranked teams, with mostly freshmen and sophomores.

The question other teams should be asking is this:

How does any team beat Kentucky, when those young players get even better at the end of the season?

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 08:48 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THe only way that I can see a team beating us is to be shooting lights out on a given night.
It's going to have to be a team that moves the ball with precision. Shooting lights out from the perimeter.

Show me GREAT outside shooting team. MAYBE!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 09:58 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Gasaway, an ESPN analyst says the scary stat about KY is, "They're only giving up 32% on 2 point field goals!"

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 12:08 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our offense is good but it's our defense that will make us the stand out.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 12:10 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once we get to SEC play there is no one that can stay with us.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 12:12 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think we will give many teams any good looks as our size alone will make us a special defensive team plus our athletic big men can move and jump out of the gym.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 12:40 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The nice thing about our size is once they've had a shot or two blocked by us they begin to second guess there shots inside and the begin altering their shots making it harder to make them.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 09:37 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They play team basketball and it shows in our play.

--------------------

WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 12-23-2014 09:50 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team is so much fun to watch I can't stand waiting a week to see them play again!
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It does make it hard, Fantastic. They are a JOY to watch

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 03:58 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Especially when you figure that we went like 3 weekends in a row where we played 3 games in 5 days.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly four days from now the game will be over.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 04:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's hard to schedule games around Christmas and rightfully so. I hope all the players got to spend a Merry Christmas with their families.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-23-2014 05:16 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought it from the get go but I was sure of it after the KS game. I talked myself into a 1 loss season at the beginning but after KS I just couldn't see a loss, unless we have a really really really bad game.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 05:51 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We might still end up with 1 loss. It could be that UL this weekend is just like the IU game of 2011.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 05:52 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping not, but that's why they throw the ball up!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 07:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The IU loss is one that never should have happened and never understood why we didn't call a time out before they threw the ball in to set up our defense.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 07:21 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Playing them at their place is going to be a challenge, just hope we get some decent ref's to call the game. I would think however they will have a good crew for a game of this magnitude. If they call the game halfway close we win easy but if they get away with hacking us the whole game it could get dicey.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 08:32 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THe road game will be a huge challenge!

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-23-2014 08:50 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think they'll let it get rough fearing they could be causing a fight to break out. I expect them to call a lot of fouls on both teams but we have replacements for anyone that has fouls, they don't.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 09:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ricky has gone deep in his bench tonight, but he's facing an opponent that he's been able to zone all night because they don't shoot three's and they zone UL right back and allowing the small white guards to shoot three pointers even.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 09:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CSNU has attempted 3 three pointes the entire night!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 09:06 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was at my company Christmas party the night of the IU game. I recorded the game and never watched it. I think the Vandy game is the only game I saw them lose that year.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 10:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pitino had 5 players that played 25 minutes or more and 3 players that played 10-15 minutes a piece.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 10:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's interesting to hear that Pitino played a zone as you kcan bet he will play a pressing type offense a lot of the time against us. He may try and mix it up to keep us guessing. He is no dummy and you can bet he will have something up his sleeve. I wouldn't be surprised if he has something planned depending who we are playing. If we have Booker in they may press and when we have our big line up in he may zone and protect the middle. It will be interesting as he wants this win as much as any game he has ever coached, he doesn't like Cal one bit.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 10:55 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the feeling is mutual

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2014 09:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This game may be the epic game between the storied teams. I just hope it is a game where no won gets hurt and the best team wins and we all know who the best team is. Go Cats.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-24-2014 02:03 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What will it take to beat KY?

You better hope everyone on KY is having a bad shooting night on the same night. Missing free throws and turning the ball over.

YOU ARE NOT, I REPEAT, NOT, GOING TO BEAT KY. ONLY KENTUCKY CAN BEAT KENTUCKY!!!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2014 02:22 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In exactly 3 days from this very moment we will be playing Louisville and having a good lead.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-24-2014 02:35 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't get my anxiety up already, CMD, I first have to get through Christmas!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2014 02:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Smile] MH your the best UK fan I know and would really like to meet you.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2014 02:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we should try to get TCD gathering before some of us get so old we couldn't make the trip.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-24-2014 02:56 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be fun to get together with some of you guys.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2014 04:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope so.

--------------------

country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 12-25-2014 06:37 AM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i would love to meet all the members on this board----i might not always agree---but i love reading ever post

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-25-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If y'all want to meet me, we may better go ahead and get it set up. After all, I'll be 80 in the spring! I would take some planning and coordination.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com