TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Analyst says Ulis could be more important in March

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Analyst says Ulis could be more important in March
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 11:25 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tyler is going to get better by the game and by years end be a very special player for the Cats.

ESPN/SEC Network analyst Sean Farnham says freshman guard Tyler Ulis will be a “very important cog” for UK in March.

“He will be big, especially in the NCAA Tournament when the game becomes a half-court game,” Farnham said. “There is just a calming factor when he has the ball in his hands. When he crosses the time line and has the ball, even if he turns it over or there is a bad shot, there is just a calming factor. That is the feeling you get now, so as the season progresses and he gets more comfortable, I think that is only going to improve.”

Ulis will return to Chicago Saturday when UK plays UCLA, and Farnham has not been surprised by his play this season.

“I had high expectations for him coming out of high school. I saw him play on the AAU circuit, so it was not like it was something I hadn’t seen before,” he said. “He has been so good defensively, too. He is smooth offensively, but defensively his ability to move his feet and pick up full court and make you go laterally is amazing.

“It is very rare that you see Tyler get beat in a north-south drive. He is going to make you go sideways and if you do that, you start taking things away and that really helps the back line of the defense as well, even though Kentucky is so big, they don’t need a lot of help anyway.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-21-2014 11:53 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most teams are lucky to have one top notch point guard. This season, Kentucky has two. The year UK was caught without a top point guard, they missed the tourney all together, after their best player and shot blocker hurt his knee.

I do agree with the Analyst that Ulis brings a valuable skill set to the team. But, he is more valuable than that. With the luxury of having two top point guards, UK is in better shape than most teams if refs call a game too close and start piling up fouls on the guards. And, if one of them hurts a hand or an ankle, he can be rested, while the team still has a top PG to run the team.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 02:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really like that Ulis is getting some quality minutes especially with Andrew a NBA talented point playing ahead of him. It's truly amazing how all these talented players are so close and stick together so well. We are blessed fans for sure.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 09:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't our point guard next year and will be a great asset that will make us a contender again next season.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-21-2014 09:34 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, just before Poythress went down, Ulis was the only player on the two platoons that the NBA Scouts didn't have in their top 2 rounds of the draft. Not to say that he won't eventually become an NBA player. It just might take him 2 or 3 years of college before he's ready!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 10:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think because of his size he has to be a little extra talented to make the NBA scouts realize he can play at the next level. Staying a extra year or two will do him a lot of good if that is what he decides.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-21-2014 11:18 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sure his size is his biggest draw back. He'll get paid to play someday!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 11:52 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In some things size matters. [Wink]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anytime you are under 6 feet tall trying to play basketball, you better bring all of your skills up another level.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 01:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Granted it's hard when your under 6 feet tall but it sure doesn't mean it can't be done.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 01:56 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why you have to improve you "Little Man" skills, Dribbling passing, in your grill defense!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 03:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Ulis gets paid for playing basketball he will have arrived and will know all his hard work has paid off.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, he'll get paid. He may end up over seas if he doesn't succeed in the NBA,

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 03:56 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tyler is already getting some national attention. He just might have to play a few years in Lexington first. I hate it for us!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 04:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ulis can stay at Kentucky for 3 more years if he wants. I think his play will dictate when he leaves and Cal will guide him with his decision.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 04:06 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He will be a big part of the program if he stays no matter who we recruit at the point.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 04:14 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's not bad to have a team leader that will hang around for a couple of years!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 04:15 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This young man has real court smarts. Makes for a great leader!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 07:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tyler is learning a lot from the upper-classmen on how to be a good leader.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 07:42 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Booker is learning a lot too and if both stay it would be one heck of a back court.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 08:06 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember, these boys aren't even a third of the way through their freshman year.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 12:29 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes they are youngsters but they play some mean basketball.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 12:49 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These boy shave played a lot of games in their lifetime already. I've seen some of these AAU teams play more than 50 games during the summer break!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 09:50 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Basketball is these young men's life and it's what makes them so good. They all dream of playing in the NBA and it drives them to reach their goal. You have to give them credit for the desire to succeed.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-23-2014 03:09 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No doubt, and you can't blame them for earning a living doing something they love to do!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 05:22 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why most recruits come to UK. They want the opportunity to play in the NBA and Cal and Kentucky gives them that opportunity. It's a great recruiting strategy that has served Kentucky well.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com