TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal may have gotten "Dream Team" that Knight wanted

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal may have gotten "Dream Team" that Knight wanted
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 10:42 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alford was impressed with Cats to say the least.

UCLA coach Steve Alford played for Bobby Knight at Indiana and said Knight always had his dream team that basically would be able to do what UK can do defensively.

“I’ve been around a long time as a player and as a coach, and I played for the best in coach Knight. When you talk about a Dream Team, the starting five that they have, they can basically switch five ways, and coach Knight, I think that was always his dream, that he could get five guys 6-7 and 6-8″ and just switch everything,” Alford said.

“That’s hard to score on. That’s why if you look at their numbers — they’ve played 12 games now. Look at their numbers. They’re holding teams — we scored 42, we came into this game, they were holding teams to 48. We’re not the only team that they’ve really pounded that way from that standpoint.

“They’re really good defensively. They can switch on you, they guard the pick-and-rolls well, and then when you beat them — and I thought we did, we got some angles, we beat them, but then you’ve got two guys 6’10”, 6’11”, 7-foot, one of them jumps, if he misses it, the other one gets it. You don’t see that kind of size, and I think that affects you, and that’s hard to prepare for.”

While Alford said most teams have what he called “over-hyped sizes” that Kentucky might be even be bigger than scouting reports indicated. ” What they are size-wise is legit, and when you have that kind of size, you can do so many different things defensively,” Alford said. “Give Cal credit, give his staff credit. They’ve really got this team playing hard at the defensive end. They continue to play at that level defensively, I’m a firm believer they’ve got a chance to run this thing out. They’re that good, they’re that talented.”

UCLA freshman Kevon Looney said it was so hard to score against Kentucky, which has now blocked 104 shots in 12 games after adding 13 Saturday and also has 102 steals. Opponents have blocked only 25 UK shots and made 58 steals.

“It was pretty difficult, hard to get scoring angles on your layups and try to finish over the top, the real long, great shot blockers,” Looney said. “We couldn’t get to the basket how we wanted. When we did get there it wasn’t easy to finish. When we was driving we wanted to kick it out and we didn’t get movement in the first half, so their shot blocking really made a difference.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 09:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You have to give Alford credit he took it like a man and I hope his season gets a lot better for him. I guess it couldn't get any worse than Saturday's game.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-21-2014 10:04 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know why, but I can't pull for Alford or UCLA!
I guess with Steve, it's because he was a disciple under RMK. As far as UCLA goes. I don't think I need to say anything else there!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2014 10:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I might have agreed with you years ago but Alford has come a long way as a coach and admire the way he handles his players and is a gentleman win or lose. I hope he does well except when he plays our Cats.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-21-2014 11:09 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just don't think the nut falls far from the tree. Krymeariverski was a disciple of RMK Too!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-22-2014 11:30 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you have to realize just because Alford played under Knight that he a clone of him. He is his own man however I'm sure he did take a lot of Knights's good points as Knight was a very good coach and certainly can't blame him for that.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-22-2014 11:35 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to give Steve credit. He is one win away from 500 victories. HE must know what he's doing!

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-22-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Steve Alford was our guest speaker this year at our Chamber of Commerce dinner. I got a chance to talk basketball with him for 15 or 20 minutes. Spoke about old high school rivalries and discussed UCLA and UK.

So I have a picture with him and a signed "IU Basketball" that I keep hidden. It will never be displayed in my home. LOL. I'm actually going to give to a friend who is building an "IU" bar in his basement.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-23-2014 12:18 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have always thought highly of Alford as he always was and still is a class guy. I admire that no matter who someone plays for. I think sometimes we forget basketball is a game but in Kentucky it's a special game. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com