TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal says Cat's not ready to be compared to other great teams

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal says Cat's not ready to be compared to other great teams
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:30 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is smart and will not let this team get over confident.

When asked what he thought to coaches like Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Larry Brown and others comparing UK to the best college basketball teams ever, Calipari joked Thursday he thought the question was comparing him to the best all-time coaches.

“I understand that’s not going to be said,” he joked.

But he also noted that his team has no place in the all-time best team discussion 11 games into the season.

“I think when you start talking about some of the teams, that we’re the great teams, they had Hall of Fame players on them. We have yet to prove where we are in that regard,” Calipari said. “I think we’re a terrific team. I think what we’ve been doing to keep reinforcements coming has made us even better and made it even easier for each guy to perform at a high level.

“Let this season play out before they talk in terms of those teams. Because, again, some of them had three Hall of Famers on their team. Their college team had three. To compare us to those teams, come on.”

He said he didn’t know if coaches might be trying to add pressure to his team.

“Maybe they’re looking at us compared to the other college teams the last couple years. I don’t know,” the UK coach said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:49 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It isn't easy getting your team ready for all the teams the Cats play as you can bet all of the coachs we face are staying up nights thinking of ways to beat the Cats. These coach's didn't get their jobs by not being awfully good at what they do and they all have the experience of playing very good teams.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 08:35 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THe great thing about this team, unlike some great teams is depth. These guys battle everyday. Fighting hard against some of the best talent in the country day in and day out makes you tougher.
When you face a different opponent the game ends up being easier because you've worked every day against the best!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 09:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Deepest team I can remember that's for sure.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 09:22 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is doing his darndest to keep the boys focused on the next opponent. The hardest thing to do is keep them from reading the press clippings, internet, facebook, Twitter

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 09:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this team is smart enough to know that if they don't work hard bad things can happen. The coachs are on them every single day and if they ever lose (which may never happen) it won't be because the didn't give it their all.

[ 12-19-2014, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 09:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These guys are awfully young. I'm sure Willie is doing his best to help lead these guys and not let themselves get too over confident!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 09:59 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At some point freshmen become sophomores and with the schedule we play it doesn't take long before they get to the point where they get used to playing big games away from home. The other thing that helps is all our players have traveled a lot playing basketball on summer league teams playing the best talent in the country. Things have changed for the younger players of today especially the highly recruited ones like we get are ready to go by the time they come to Kentucky.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 10:05 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They are 11 games into their 1st season and haven't faced an opponent yet on their (the opponents home) floor!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:24 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
imo I don't think that is a good thing to do especially for freshmen as they should have the opportunity to play games with a hostile environment as when it's conference time we play half our games on the road against hostile fans. I would think it would at least help some to play teams at hostile environments before conference play.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 07:21 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess in one week we'll see how they react to hostile environment!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 11:06 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Yum center is definitely a hostile environment and if we can go in there and win we can play anywhere.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 11:07 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our young Cats will be called names that they didn't know existed. [Wink]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 01:42 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but they better save the Thug name for some of their own players. IE.... Harrell

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 01:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Harrell is a bad dude.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 02:07 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He'll be a mad dude when he faces talent of his equivalent in that game next Saturday too!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 02:13 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure our boys are ready to be compared to GREAT TEAMS yet either. I have to see their entire body of work. The whole season before I'm ready to label them!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 02:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think he will be messing around with any of our bigs. I just wish Pothress could have guarded him.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 02:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You get Poy mad and not much would be left of Harrell.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 02:37 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Montrez has some size on Poy!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 02:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both Poy and Harrell are listed at 6-8..

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 03:21 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but what do they go weight wise?

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 03:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Poy 238 Harrell 240 and Poy is quicker and stronger imo

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com