TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Alford is well aware of Kentucky's depth

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alford is well aware of Kentucky's depth
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-18-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It really is a problem for all the team's we play.

UCLA coach Steve Alford says countering UK’s depth will requite his team to do “a lot of good things” on offense and defense.

“We’ve got to take care of the basketball. We’ve always been a good assist/turnover team last year and even into early this season. Those are some things that have been positive for us. I think Kentucky is as good as it gets throughout our country defensively, so that’s a tall order. Can we take care of the ball? Can we value the ball? Can we get the shots that we need to get?” Alford said.

“When you’re playing a team like this you’re going to have to make shots, you’re going to have to be able to have a night where you’re shooting the ball well. It’s not going to be easy if we’re shooting 35 percent. We’re going to have to make some shots, we’re going to have to get to the foul line and take advantage of the foul line. We’ve done a good job of getting to the foul line. We just haven’t been a good foul-shooting team.

“When you’re playing a team like Kentucky — they’re the best rebounding team, I think hands down in our country — it’s not just about trying to guard them. You’ve got to finish the possession. That’s what makes it so hard. We’ve got to be awfully good defensively, and we’ve got to be very efficient offensively to give us a chance in those last five minutes to try to win a game.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-18-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can already tell Steve that we aren't the best rebounding team in the country, Heck, I think the last two big teams that we've played have out rebounded us!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123952 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-18-2014 05:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still think we have the bigs to be the best rebounding team in the country and anyone who plays us knows what they are up against.

--------------------

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-18-2014 07:13 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, I agree. There's no reason in the world why we would get out rebounded. But I know why we do!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-18-2014 07:50 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bet as the season goes on we will see our rebounding numbers increase even higher than they are now. We now are tied for 23rd in the country with a average of 41.1 rebounds per game. Louisville leads with 46.7 rebounds per game.

[ 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:05 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the up coming game with Louisville we are going to have too be extra vigilant on the boards as they will try to push and shove us off our spots to try to get better rebounding position. Hopefully the refs will call that or we could be in in for a real tough game.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 08:20 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully UL will try to zone us. It's hard to get defensive block out position when you are in a zone. You don't have a specific man to block out!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 08:43 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They may play some zone but also press our guards and make it hard on them to get the ball up the court. They will hack and claw as long as the refs let them play. We better be ready for a tough hard nosed game.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 09:06 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't be surprised to see Ulis on the floor with the Harrison twins some. That will cut in to the press a little bit!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 09:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal will do everything possible to make it easier to break the Louisville's press and will play any combination of players that will help do that.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 09:18 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've got big men who can help bring the ball up the floor as well!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 09:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes we do and have some small players who will get some rebounds too. [Wink]

[ 12-19-2014, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com