TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Coach Payne new shooting slump wouldn't last long

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coach Payne new shooting slump wouldn't last long
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-17-2014 11:35 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shooting can come and go in a heart beat but when it does go you have to pick up your defense and cut down on mistakes in order to win and that is the mark of championship teams.

When Kentucky was going through its 8-for-48 3-point shooting stretch and seeing a variety of defenses, UK assistant coach Kenny Payne tried to tell Big Blue fans not to worry.

“We’re happy with the way teams are playing us,” said Payne. “Opponents don’t realize that we do have really good shooters, and eventually they’re going to figure it out.

“It’s not a bad thing that they haven’t figured it out yet.”

Kentucky’s shooting against North Carolina last week likely helped opponents figure out that Payne might be right.

Payne made his observations during a postgame radio show. He offered several other interesting insights — UK assistant coaches are off limits to the media — on UK players:

— On UK’s interior players: ““I’ve always believed we have the best bigs in the country. They can play with their back to the basket, facing the basket, they can move their feet, they can rebound. I don’t know of anybody else that has six quality players the way we do.”

— On Karl-Anthony Towns: “I just love his energy. There’s no complacency there.”

— On Andrew Harrison: “There hasn’t been enough said about the growth that he’s had in a year in this program. For those that have seen it, I think there’s so much more in the tank. Hopefully he does nothing but get better. I would say we were happy with the energy. He’s doing a great job of starting the game off, setting the tone, attacking, and giving us a lot of energy.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186358 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:26 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think by now we have seen most everything but we haven't played Pitino's team yet and you can bet he is going to do something different knowing full well the Cards would lose unless he comes up with something that our young team hasn't seen.

--------------------

Posts: 186358 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 08:25 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With 2 strong defensive teams the team that can shoot 40% or better from the floor will win.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123964 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 08:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is going to be a tough game and never sell Pitino short, there is nothing he would like to do more than beat Calipari and the Cats.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 08:34 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The scary part he is a heck of a bench coach and has beaten a lot of teams that had more talent than his team.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 08:46 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I won't sell Pitino short, but history tells me that Pitino hasn't beaten Calipari too many times since he's coached the Wildcats.

As a matter of fact Pitino has won only once in 7 tries against KY and Calipari!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 08:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We sure have the players this time so it definitely looks like a victory but until it's over one never knows.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 09:14 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Championships aren't won on paper, they're won on the floor.
That's why they throw the ball up!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 09:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I liked what coach Payne had to say about the Cats and he sees them every day in practice. It's a good sign when your coachs have so much confidence in their players.

[ 12-19-2014, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-19-2014 09:58 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard Matt Jones say multiple times that these boys are pretty good shooters. They don't have someone running at them or jumping at them when they are shooting in shoot around though!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:51 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are as a team shooting 47% from the field and 29% on our 3's for the season.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-19-2014 10:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where the Cats shine is their defense holding teams to 30% from the floor and 26% on their 3 point tries. That he awfully good defense.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 07:25 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've been saying since the beginning of the season that if the offense catches up with the defense of this team they might be very dangerous!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 10:51 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they will be dangerous even with our current offense.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 12:22 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a interesting stat about our offense.

We are the 45th best team in the country in scoring at 76.2 where Louisville is the 33rd ranked team in the nation scoring at 77.1.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 12:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is how our defense ranks compared to Louisville and the rest of the nation.

We are ranked no. 2 in the country allowing only 48 points per game where Louisville is ranked 7th in the nation at 52.9 points per game.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 01:49 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you think our schedule has been week though, take a look at Louisville's strength of schedule!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UL has played one ranked opponent. Ohio State. Who's getting their butts handed to them by a UNC team that we lead wire to wire!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-20-2014 01:56 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Louisville up 6 on Western with 5:25 to play!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 01:57 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They have not played a very tough schedule at all but they seldom do.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-20-2014 01:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Western a perfect example of a team Louisville would play.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com