TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal respects the way Providence plays

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal respects the way Providence plays
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-28-2014 01:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Providence has won their first 5 games and beating both Florida stat and Notre Dame by a point. It sounds like we will be seeing a zone so we will probably see Booker get a few more minutes.

Kentucky coach John Calipari expects a difficult game against Providence Sunday in Rupp Arena.

“Watching them on tape, they are doing a heck of a job putting guys in the best position to score,” said Calipari Friday. “They are playing both man to man and zone (defense). Imagine they will play man and pressure us a little bit, but they will have the zone ready. Last year they played all zone and I don’t believe that will happen this year.”

Providence, which lost to North Carolina in the NCAA Tournament last year after winning the Big East Tournament, has wins over Florida State (80-54), Navy (88-51) and Notre Dame (75-74) going into today’s game with Yale.

Scoring point guard Bryce Botton, who played 39.9 minutes per game last year, led the Friars last year when he averaged 21.8 points and 5.9 assists per game last year. Now the team is run by sophomore Kris Dunn, a former McDonald’s All-American, who is averaging 9.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 7.4 assists per game.

LaDontate Henton, a 6-6 senior, averaged 14 points and 7.9 rebounds per game last year and hit 36 percent from 3-point range. He has increased his scoring average to a team-high 23.4 points per game and is also adding 5.8 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game this season.

Tyler Harris, a 6-9 junior, started every game last year and averaged 11.6 points per game and scored in double figures 25 times. This year he’s averaging 13.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.

Calipari says Providence coach Ed Cooley is vastly underrated.

“Ed Cooley is one of those great coaches nobody knows about. He is the kind of coach that I respect. At tough places and does it and stuff happens, and he still does it,” Calipari said. “I need to see a guy like him down in the trenches and does it right. I think he is as good as they get.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-28-2014 05:48 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would say Cal's plan is to continue to run the platoon system for most of the first half to see what the team can do with Providence's zone does.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-28-2014 06:29 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He has gone with it so long already he just might keep it going as there are no signs it isn't working.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-28-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That doesn't mean in the last 8 minutes of the game he won't shake it up and put the hot hand in the game.

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-28-2014 11:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He has already said at the of games all bets are off and he subs the way he see's fit.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-29-2014 06:34 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Providence shot 51% from the floor against Yale, but only 3-13 from 3 point range. Providence is undefeated but I don't think they will get nearly as many good looks inside as they may have against Yale.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-29-2014 09:28 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we have the man power to stop them especially if we can neutralize Henton and Botton.
Providence hasn't seen a team near with the depth of our Cats and they will have some big adjustments to make. I like our chances.

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 11-29-2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats will win by 20+.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-29-2014 10:01 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, Norm. There's no way that a team can practice to face the size they will face against this Kentucky team.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-29-2014 10:34 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats 82 Providence 63

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-29-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK 79-65
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-29-2014 11:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cooley their coach is a awfully good coach and he will have his team ready to play. I just think like most all of you we have to much talent to overcome especially in Rupp. They may hang for awhile but in the end it's Kentucky...

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com