TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » NBA commish wants to raise the age limit

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NBA commish wants to raise the age limit
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-25-2014 04:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to see if the NBA actually does raise the age limit, I think deep down the commissioner really want to.

Since becoming the commissioner in February, Adam Silver has already made some swift moves and enacted changes in the NBA. One issue that Silver has continuously brought up is how the NBA’s current age limit of 19 needs to be increased to 20. The National Basketball Player’s Association is strongly against the age limit increase but Silver is still harping about it as he did in a recent interview with GQ.

…I’ll give you one more: I think it would benefit the league to raise the minimum age from 19 to 20.

Why can’t you do that now? If it’s possible to dictate that players can’t sign until they’re 19, why is making that age 20 any more complicated?

The reason we can’t unilaterally do it is because it must be collectively bargained. We bargained with the union many years ago in order to move it from 18 to 19. Going to 20 was on the table during the last bargaining cycle [in 2011], but it was an issue we parked, having already lost several weeks of the season [due to the lockout], and we were anxious to get the season going. But it’s something I hope to address in the near future.

What is the union’s principal argument against raising the age limit? It seems like it would be good for everyone—the NBA, the college game, the physical development of the players.

Their principal argument is that it’s a restriction on players. And as a philosophical argument, I totally understand that. Of course it’s a restriction, in the same way a draft is a restriction. But our view is that it would make for a better league. You’d have more skilled players, more mature players. The draft would be better. It would be better for basketball in general. Strong college basketball is great for the NBA. And we know those players are eventually going to come to the NBA, whether they are 19 or 20 or 21.

Silver makes a meaningful argument for why the age limit should be increased but he will have to make his case worthwhile to the players and the new head of the NBPA, Michelle Roberts. This will all come to a boil after the 2016-2017 NBA season when the next collective bargaining agreement is negotiated.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-25-2014 06:51 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The difficult thing is, in any other profession the only age limit, like where I work, is 18 years old. You have to be a legal adult. Not that I'm against raising the age limit. I'm not sure if it is constitutionaly fair!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 11-25-2014 07:02 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To my knowledge, Baseball does not have an age limit as close to 50% of talent is drafted in High School, and Football doesn't identify an age limit but stipulates something about not draftable until what would have been the end of your sophomore year of college. But what I've heard on that is that it is more of a safety issue to keep HS kids from having to block or play against full grown men like JJ Watt

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-25-2014 09:38 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Football is the only one that makes any sense. It makes perfect sense!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-25-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Flacatz, what you posted puts it into perspective in football but not so sure about basketball.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 11-25-2014 11:34 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, basketball has a problem with the Players Union...... has to approve of it.....I may be wrong, but I believe it is not the commissioners call alone.... but must be approved by the overworked and underpaid....

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-26-2014 06:22 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, under paid alright!!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-26-2014 06:23 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, under paid alright!! [Razz]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-26-2014 07:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess it these athletes are old enough to go to war at that age they and chance losing their life they should have the opportunity to make a living playing sports.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-26-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always thought the same thing about alcohol and soldiers too.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-26-2014 12:11 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What everyone says is true. But the only real sensible decision is to partially return to days of yore. In other words, return to when they could go pro directly out of high school. But there is a BUT......... If they decide to go pro and do not make a roster on their first try they should be allowed to reapply for entry into college......but only 1 time. If they should decide to declare for the draft again they are gone.

Second option........... if they decide to sign with a college they are there for two years, period. I know there would be those who would try to leave after one year so there would have to be penalties for those who want to try the system. I would leave that to the powers in charge to decide; pay back money, etc.

Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-26-2014 12:19 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, your idea makes a lot of sense.

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-26-2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is not a 'rights' issue. It is a private organization setting its own standards for admission. Whether you can drink, or vote, or go to war has no bearing on whether you can join the local Country Club, nor whether you can be drafted into the NBA.

It is clear, and the Commish states it well, that the current system is harming college basketball AND professional basketball.

So, fix it!

I would prefer the system that baseball has now. You can be drafted out of high school, or you can play college ball. If you choose the latter, you are in for a minimum of three years. By the end of the third year, the choice of completing your degree becomes much more viable, and many do so before declaring for the draft.

I know that I don't follow the NBA very much any more primarily because I don't get to know those players during their college careers. Of course, that especially applies to UK players, but others as well. The era of Bird, Magic, Jordan, et al was special because they were great players that developed a personna and mystique in college. Today, there is no shortage of great players in the NBA, but that personal connection is not there.

That's Tiptree's take on the matter. Somebody tell the commish. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com