TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal has no plans to red-shirt Willis or Hawkins

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal has no plans to red-shirt Willis or Hawkins
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-30-2014 08:41 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both of these players are probably good enough to make a few of the SEC starting line-ups. Unless we sign some of the top players for next year both of them will be getting a lot more playing time next season, they are that good.

Sophomores Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins know even in a platoon system that their minutes are going to be limited on this year’s Kentucky team because of the abundance of talent and experience that coach John Calipari has.

In Monday’s Blue-White Game, Hawkins was just 1-for-5 from the field and had just three points and three rebounds. Willis was 2-for-3 from the field and had five points, three assists and three rebounds.

“I think they both played well. Derek is still trying to make hard plays instead of just making an easy pass or an easy play. But he shoots the ball. He’s long. He can go get balls,” said coach John Calipari after the game.

“Dominique is just way better than he was a year ago. A year ago they did not guard him. Literally just said, Let him shoot. Now if you leave him open, he’s making those shots.”

Both players have shown no interest in a redshirt year despite likely being the 11th and 12th players on the depth chart, and Calipari made it clear he was not about to ask either to redshirt.

“That’s a player’s decision. I would never. Young man wanted to do that, they’d have to explain why, if that were what they wanted to do,” he said. “You know what’s great about playing here? You only have to have one good year. You only have to have one good year. You don’t have to have five good years. No one playing under me has four good years. You only have to have one.

“Some guys are ahead mentally and physically. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t play for a year or two. How about this? Or three. That one year you have your breakout. See ya. Kids are on different timetables.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-02-2014 09:21 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It may not be this year but with the experience they are getting next year I can see them getting a lot more minutes. They have to much talent not to.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com