TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Platoon system to give opposing coachs headaches

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Platoon system to give opposing coachs headaches
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-29-2014 12:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We won't know exactly how well the platoon system will work until we play some tough games but with the depth we have it's highly unlikely if fails.

After sitting courtside and watching his two platoon system during the Blue-White Game Monday, Kentucky coach John Calipari said he’ll “probably try some different” combinations from what he used even though he likes the idea of having two freshmen on each platoon with three veteran players.

“It gives it some balance. We’re just going to see what happens. I mean, I’m committed to it. It’s the best thing for these players. Now we got to make it the best thing for our team,” Calipari said.

While Calipari is still trying to figure out how to juggle a 12-man rotation on two platoons, he says opposing coaches will have problems to figure out as well.

“The good news is that other guy we start playing against is going to have to figure out what these 10 guys or 12 are, and how one unit plays versus how another unit plays, what are they doing in pick’n rolls, what are they doing on post-ups. This group plays one way, this group plays the other way. The issues I’m going to have, the other coach is going to have, too,” Calipari said.

Calipari says he doesn’t know yet how the platoon system is working as UK approaches its exhibition opener Sunday night against Pikeville.

“We’re going to find out. We haven’t done it yet. Today we just played a bunch of guys,” he said.

What will he do during in-game situations platoon-wise?

“I don’t know yet. I got to get in games and do it,” he said. “There are going to be issues that we’ll have that I’m going to have to deal with, and there are going to be issues that other coaches are going to have that he’s going to have to deal with. How we finish games, we haven’t gone over that yet. We’re just now getting to how we’re going to grind it out, how we’re going to play. We just started that yesterday.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com