TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UNC scandel could hurt them in major ways

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UNC scandel could hurt them in major ways
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-26-2014 06:06 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you do the crime you have to pay for all your dirty deeds.

It appears the Wainstein report could possibly rewrite the history of UNC's storied basketball program.

The report revealed the paper class scheme had been going on for nearly two decades.

An expert who deals with the NCAA is suggesting the fallout could cost UNC a championship banner inside the Dean Dome.

As a former compliance director at Maryland, former president of the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics and now president of the Drake Group, Gerald Gurney has studied literally every academic fraud case and how it was adjudicated by the NCAA since 1953. He is the preeminent scholar on the topic and when Gurney spoke with ABC11 Thursday, he pulled no punches when it came to North Carolina and the sanctions they may face.

"Schemed, long-term, deliberate," said Gurney.

Gurney, who now teaches at Oklahoma, has seen it all when it comes to academic fraud.

"My favorite case was the Georgia Southern case when the basketball coaches actually went to the final exams of a player, posing as the players," he said.

Still, Gurney said what happened at Carolina over 18 years trumps it all.

"The worst case in the history," Gurney said. "There is nothing that even comes close to the level and the magnitude of this case."

Gurney says UNC's complete lack of oversight is inexcusable in this case and points to one of the most dreaded phrases in the NCAA lexicon.

"That would likely bring you a violation of lack of institutional control," he said.

So where does Carolina go from here as it relates to the NCAA? Bubba Cunningham said Wednesday that the school will not sanction itself any further. Gurney said he doesn't expect the NCAA to try and make a statement. Essentially, it doesn't need to. The infractions are serious enough on their own merit.

"Lack of institutional control usually affects financial aid," said Gurney. "Various teams, it affects long-term probation of various teams. You also have a number of ethical violations."

Yes, in Gurney's estimation, if the NCAA finds even one player stayed eligible because of fraudulent classes, wins and titles could be forfeited.

"It would not be at all unusual if those games had to be vacated," said Gurney.

The one place Gurney took issue with Wainstein was his relative absolution of Roy Williams and what he says he knew about the sham classes.

"That kind of defies logic to me, and I think the NCAA will take a long look at that issue," he said.

The NCAA can take a very different view of Williams' culpability. Their new rules state that a head coach is responsible either way.

When asked if Williams is out of the woods in Gurney's mind, he replied, "Not by a long shot."

Still, Gurney is optimistic about Carolina's future.

"The University of North Carolina is such an outstanding university. It has so many things going for it and this will pass. This will be history soon," said Gurney.

As mentioned, Gurney is the current president of the Drake Group. Prior to him taking that office, the group gave UNC Professor Jay Smith an award recognizing him for standing up to UNC and demanding answers during the past several years. He has collaborated with Mary Willingham.

Some UNC fans will choose to ignore his opinion because of those associations, but he is the ranking expert in the country. So this is not a guy spouting off -- he knows of what he speaks.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 10-26-2014 06:49 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The University of North Carolina and it's fans are going through pure hell with this scandal. They have always believed they were above reproach when it came to ethics in their athletic programs. It would take a small person to take joy in their present plight.

By the way, I stand 4'6" in my boots.

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 10-26-2014 08:54 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
^^^^LOL^^^^

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-26-2014 09:33 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rating that against an opened letter containing $10,000 addressed to a recruits father I would have to say this is 10 times worse.
Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-28-2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama,

Since there was only $1,000 in the envelop, then the UNC scandal is 100 times worse. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-28-2014 05:13 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the correction. The memory fades with time.
Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-28-2014 05:44 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, you added the amount of inflation that has occurred since the famous Emory money package accidently breaking open in an LA facility. Look at what happened to us for only 1,000 dollars which I never believed we were stupid enough to send in the form of cash via any carrier.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-28-2014 07:22 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KOHN WOODEN AND JERRY TARKANIAN, SET THAT UP WE WERE GETTING ALL THE WEST COAST PLAYERS. WE WERE ABOUT TO GET DON MCLEAN WHEN THAT CAME DOWN, THEY COULD NOT STAND LOSING CHRIS MILLS. AND LERON ELLIS. THEY PRAISE JOHN WOODEN ALL THE TIME HE WAS A BIG TIME CHEAT HIM AND THE BOOSTER SAM GILBERT, PAYED FOR ABORTIONS AND ALOT MORE FOR PLAYERS. RESEARCH IT.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-29-2014 09:33 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bean, you know your Wildcat basketball history. I had always heard it was Wooden and his crook of a booster Sam Gilbert who set us up with Emory Freight and Chris Mills. I never thought we were dumb enough to do that and got penalized for something we had no control over or was not involved in. Ruined Dwayne Casey's college coaching career.

[ 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 10-30-2014 04:15 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Im honestly smitten by the latest that UNC is dealing with.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 847 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com