TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Poythress believes platoon system will work

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poythress believes platoon system will work
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-26-2014 09:35 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it works like it did in the Bahamas there is no doubt it will work. I think we have the players to make it work and if the coachs stay with it they will only get better. I hope we play fast and a tough nosed defense and wear teams out with our depth.

Poythress, who is also a two-time Academic All-SEC member, talked about the Wildcats’ depth, coach John Calipari’s plans for a platoon system and the sky-high expectations for the Cats, who play their annual Blue-White Game Monday night in Rupp Arena.

Question: What has the competition been like with so many guys fighting for playing time?

Poythress:  “The competition’s been real good. Everybody’s competing, We’ve always got 10 good guys out there and we’ve got good subs with Derek (Willis) and Dom (Dominique Hawkins), so it’s been real competitive out there.”

Question:  is there pressure to not screw up and do your best each time out because you know what you do in practice will help determine how much playing time you get?

Poythress: “There’s no pressure, it’s practice. You’re just trying to get better each and every day, so you’re just trying to go out there and paying just doing what you do best If you shoot, you shoot. If you rebound, you rebound. Do what got you out here.”

Question: Has your play from the Bahamas trip carried over into practice?

Poythress:  “Yeah, it’s carried over. I’ve had a couple of good practices just trying to go hard, just trying to do what coach asks me to and doing it within the team concept. Just playing for one another.”

Question: Has the team bond from the Bahamas carried over?

Poythress:  “We’re such a close team the bond’s always there, it’s tough to break it. We just do everything together on the court and off the court.”

Question: Is the platoon system Calipari wants to use going to work, or do you have to see how it works?

Poythress:  “I think it’s going to be good. We’ve got 10, 12 guys that can play it. We’ve got such great talent, we’re confident whoever is out there can perform.”

Question: Is it a lot of fun playing with so many good players?

Poythress: “It is. They’re always changing up the lineup so you never know what to expect.”

Question: Do you think there’s any issue with playing a lot of guys?

Poythress:  “No, if you have this many good players, why not play 10? Why not play 12? If people can play, let them play. Everybody on this team is generous, we all sacrifice for each other.”

Question: Do you think Calipari can stick to the platoon system?

Poythress:  “We’ll see how long it lasts. But I think he can. If everybody does what they’re supposed to do, I think it can last.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com