TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Joe B and Crum radio show is cancelled

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Joe B and Crum radio show is cancelled
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-24-2014 12:37 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really sorry to hear that as they have meant so much to the state of Kentucky basketball for so many years. They will be missed.

I was saddened to learn Thursday that the Joe B. and Denny radio show had been cancelled. Their last show will be on the air October 30th.

The reasoning behind this depends on which website you read. After talking to Coach Hall, I do know he is not ready for it to end.

Coach Hall and Coach Crum were rivals during the height of their careers. The rise of Cardinal basketball created some unforgettable moments between the two. No one could imagine that years later the two would become close friends. The photo of the two sharing a box of popcorn at a game is priceless.

For the past 10 years fans have tuned in to listen to the two coaches talk sports, fishing and a lot of basketball. They have no gimmicks, giveaways or road shows. They do not use social media. They just share their knowledge and passion for the game with fans.

Coach Crum sits in a studio in Louisville and Coach Hall in Lexington as they take calls from fans throughout the state. They bring the two fan bases together even if only for two hours a day. The respect they have for each other can be felt through the airways and their interaction with callers.

Kentucky prides itself on basketball tradition, yet for whatever reason a part of our history is being cancelled. It would seem to some that ratings, advertisers or other reasons have become more important than allowing two championship coaches to talk to fans.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-24-2014 06:19 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They are two great coaches, but I did not listen to their show. There is competition and they can't beat the competition, plain and simple.

If they put them on a different time slot,as not to compete with other sports shows, they might have a chance.

They can't beat out other UK shows, but maybe they could beat out the political radio shows, after the noon hour.

[ 10-24-2014, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-24-2014 06:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read another article (attached) where both Joe B and Crum want to continue the show and they might be able to do just that.

Kelly Carls, the controversial program manager for Clear Channel stations in Louisville, told the Courier-Journal’s Adam Himmelsbach that he wanted to continue the relationship. “We’ve got a 10-year relationship with the coaches now and loved every minute of it,” Carls said. “So it’s basically up to them how long they want to do the show.”

The coaches have said they want to continue the show, which is also broadcast on other stations in the state, including WKU Public Radio in Bowling Green. Lexington has two other AM stations and nine FM stations so there would appear to be some viable options in parts of the state that worship anything UK blue.

Hopefully the show will continue. Their folksy, down home approach is at least an alternative to some of the biased and argumentative approaches of other shows.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-25-2014 07:51 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I couldn't stand Denny Crum when he was coaching and I cant stand him now.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com