TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » 2014-15 College Basketball Conference Preview: SEC

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2014-15 College Basketball Conference Preview: SEC
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 10-23-2014 08:10 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The college hoops offseason is painfully long. But we're almost through it! And now it's time to get ready/informed for 2014-15 with our month-long worth of ample preseason content here at CBSSports.com. We'll be previewing all of the major conferences in addition to giving you a bevy of other features. Today's lookahead examines the SEC. And be sure to head here for our hub of preseason goodies.

Kentucky, Florida, and...

It's not a matter of if, but who will join the Wildcats and Gators at the top of the SEC. Coaching turnover has been plentiful across the expanded league, and now several programs have hit the "prove it" stage in the transition process. Ten coaches have been at their current position five years or less, and only two of those coaches -- Alabama's Anthony Grant and Georgia's Mark Fox, both heading into year six -- have led their team the NCAA Tournament.

Gary ParrishUF's Chris Walker gets benefit of doubt despite setbacks

The programs below Kentucky and Florida are hungry for success, and the SEC would love for its 14-team membership to have more than three representatives in the NCAA Tournament. Teams like LSU and Arkansas look close to breaking through, but this could be the football season having an impact on my basketball outlook. We'll reassess the overall strength of the SEC come tournament time.

Coach's take

"Here's how I think the league will shake out. Obviously you've got Kentucky and Florida, two teams have been at the top the last couple years. There's a bunch of talented teams I think that are going to be fighting for that three spot. When you look at Georgia, what they bring back. Arkansas can put their pitch in to finish there. LSU, with their frontcourt, they have two pros.

"That's a good thing about our league; you've got Florida and Kentucky and you can kind of flip a coin on that third spot. LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, and Ole Miss as well [are all teams that could finish third]."

On John Calipari winning with a deep rotation

"I think it can work. It all depends on the type of kids he has there. He knows his kids better than anybody else; if they'll buy into five guys going in, then the next five going in. I think those guys could be really, really good if those kids will buy in. Now, and the end of the day they have to buy into it because he's going to have some five-star guys coming off the bench and that's not normal."

On Florida

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com