TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » I hope Gottlieb will have to eat his words!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hope Gottlieb will have to eat his words!
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-23-2014 03:42 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is what he has to say about Cal and our and our depth. I think he is absolutely nuts except for the fact that if we don't press with all the depth we have we won't be using the biggest advantage we have to the fullest. We should be able to wear team's down to the point of exhaustion.

This season, Calipari is spinning the 'too many dudes' sentiment around his team, presenting it as a 'platoon' system. He even has pundits drinking the Kool-Aid about how Kentucky's second team could be others' first team. Whether that's true or not, it's beside the point: depth is overrated in college basketball, especially if you don't press. (Kentucky isn't really wired to pressure, as they are bigger than they are quick or fast). Moreover, kids need touches and shots, and my in-depth research reveals you can only play with five players and one basketball. Kentucky does have strength in its depth, but Cal having to sell it suggests it is going to be tricky to keep everyone happy.

If Cal really wanted to say something profound and visionary, it would be to say that his players (only one or two of whom are lock NBA starters at this stage) are actually better served to learn to play with fewer shots. It might be hard to sell a recruit on that basis, but what if Cal told people his players will enter the NBA with a knowledge of the energy level and attention to detail they'd need as a bench or role player? While no NBA team is subbing 5 in and 5 out, if a Kentucky player wants to learn to be a pro, he needs to learn efficiency above potency. The ultimate NBA feeder program could actually do just that, acclimate players to the role player-driven NBA instead of grooming them to be superstars.

Going a step further on the subject of depth, last December I would have told you Arizona and Oklahoma State were the two best teams in the country.

I remember San Diego State associate head coach Brian Dutcher telling me after Arizona beat the Aztecs last November, “They have the perfect number of guys." He was talking about what was basically a seven-man rotation at that stage for UA.

So was I off about Arizona and OSU? If you judge based upon the Final Four, or even in Oklahoma State's case the Big 12 standings, the answer is yes, way off.

But based upon the context of December, I still believe I was on the right track, and here's why. Both teams had NBA talent, with two legitimate pros. UConn, Wisconsin and Kentucky had two pros too. “Pros” doesn't mean NBA stars, just guys that can carry a college team with superior talent.

Additionally both teams had multiple ball handlers, a go-to guy or two and just enough minutes to keep everyone happy, but not too few where foul trouble or fatigue was a huge issue. Then injuries and off-court problems began to invade.

Oklahoma State lost Michael Cobbins to a torn Achilles and Stevie Clark to suspension. The Cowboys' lack of interior talent, depth and the presence of a second ball handler opposite Marcus Smart became their ultimate undoing. However, before OSU lost their two rotation players, their depth was perfect.

Arizona lost Brandon Ashley, and still came close to beating Wisconsin and reaching the Elite Eight. Suddenly the Wildcats went from perfect depth to one guy short, and was still one basket short of the Final Four. That lack of depth had its disadvantages, but UA had great chemistry. Syracuse, which spent a big chunk of the season at No. 1, had little depth, nor did UConn which won a title. That should be all the proof you need that depth is overrated.

So what does this mean for Kentucky?

It means that they're ahead of where they were at this time last season, but not by much. UK lost its two best players to the NBA, and depth on the interior doesn't equal the tenacity of Julius Randle. Though UK has the ability to play big or small, how players adjust to their new roles, who takes the big shots and how much they can extend their defense will vary greatly based upon lineup, which may be shuffled often. It doesn't mean Kentucky won't be in Indy for the Final Four. It's just that fans and pundits need to look past the cute Calitudes, and understand that depth of talent is a tricky minefield to navigate, especially with this group of Wildcats.

Link

[ 10-23-2014, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-23-2014 04:13 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't stand this dweeb, he is by far the worst college basketball has to offer in my opinion. We may not win it all and I do agree with some of the things he states. I just don't feel this team will have that much consistency and harmony if Cal is planning on trying to get ten players twenty minutes a game. I am a strong advocate of using more talent than Cal normally uses but just am not a fan of his platooning system idea and feel it will actually hurt future recruiting rather than help it. Most of these five star players are expecting to get quality minutes and if they see they can't get that at UK, they will be going somewhere else for their college careers. I hope I am wrong and that it helps future recruiting but fear it will not.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 10-23-2014 04:52 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gottlieb is an ass.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 10-23-2014 07:16 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
Gottlieb is an ass.

scwc, I don't care for Gottleb but I do agree with him on depth is overated in college basketball.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 10-24-2014 10:56 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think if depth was overrated, there would be no need to have more than five players on the team.

Depth is a necessity.

Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-24-2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It goes back to the 50s and 60s when Rupp was coaching. He worked with 5 guys basically. the others were used for injuries, fouls, and mop up duty.
Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com