TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal says being ranked no. 1 has no bearing on the upcoming season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal says being ranked no. 1 has no bearing on the upcoming season
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-17-2014 08:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's going to be a fun year for the fans watching this 2 platoon system develop and with all the talent it should be awesome from the start.

Kentucky coach John Calipari says his team needs a lot of work, but he was not surprised to learn that UK starts the season ranked No. 1 in the preseason coaches poll.

He said he did “not really” have a reaction to being No. 1 and drew on past history to show why.

“We may have been No. 1 when we lost in the first round in the NIT (two years ago) and may not have been ranked No. 1 when we won the national title (in 2012),” said Calipari at Thursday’s Media Day. “I can’t remember. That is fine. Probably five, six or seven teams that could be No. 1.

“Where were we last year (in the rankings when UK was near the top of every poll) and we almost fell off the fact of the earth. To me, that’s fine (to be ranked No. 1) and is something for the kids to live up to, but it has no bearing on what we are about to undertake.”

He noted how twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison came in last year with 16 percent body fat and now both sophomore guards are down to four percent. He said feedback from the recent NBA combine focused on their improved speed and athleticism.

“Everybody knows they have gotten better. I am trying to get those guys to play better and the way this team needs, that will be the key for us,” Calipari said. “Their skill sets, everything about them is way better. They are the greatest kids. Not seeing any body language. The biggest comment from the NBA is that these two have changed. But what if they play great and the other 10 stink, it won’t matter.”

Calipari emphasized he plans to stick with a two-platoon system even though many continue to tell him it won’t work.

“I am on a mission to make it work. I am hearing all the reasons you can’t make it work, though,” Calipari said. “I am staying focused on these kids. It is how do I get them together to understand each other.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com