TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Kentucky easy team to pick for National Champion

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kentucky easy team to pick for National Champion
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-16-2014 09:52 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This writer has got it right.

After John Calipari retained most of the talent from last season’s team that went on a roller-coaster, heart-stopping run to the national title game – then added four McDonald’s All-Americans in another stellar recruiting class – you won’t find a reputable preseason top 25 that doesn’t have Kentucky as No. 1.

1. Kentucky

Last season: 29-11 (12-6 in SEC, T-2nd). Lost in national title game to UConn. One of the most ridiculous seasons we’ve ever seen, from preseason hype to midseason struggles to postseason miracles.

This season: Kentucky has all the talent, like it always does, with a lineup that boasts nine McDonald’s All-Americans and as many as 10 future NBA players. But coach John Calipari also has something that he has rarely had at Kentucky: experience. Joining this year’s typically stellar recruiting class are juniors Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress. The Harrison twins may only be sophomores, but last season ought to count for at least two seasons of experience, given how much these two had to play under the microscope. Ditto for the other five returning sophomores. If you see a preseason poll that doesn’t have Kentucky No. 1, you’re looking at the wrong poll. Even with a brutal nonconference schedule, this team has a shot at going undefeated. I don’t think it will happen, but it could – and that’s saying something.

2. Arizona

Last season: 33-5 (15-3 in Pac-12, 1st). Lost in Elite Eight to Wisconsin. One of the most heart-breaking losses of the tournament kept coach Sean Miller out of his first Final Four.

This season: This is what the Miller era has brought to Tucson: The Wildcats lose two players to the NBA Draft, including fourth overall pick Aaron Gordon, and this team might be even better this season. I still contend that Arizona would have won it all if Brandon Ashley hadn’t been injured in February, taking away the team’s top 3-point threat. Ashley is back, and Miller adds dynamic freshman scoring wing Stanley Johnson to the mix. This might be Miller’s most talented team, and it has tons of experience, too: a senior point guard in T.J. McConnell, a junior big man in Kaleb Tarczewski and a possible lottery pick in sophomore Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. These guys told me when I visited campus last month that they set the goal at the beginning of every season of having the nation’s best defense. The Wildcats did last year and ought to be tough this year as well. This is the one team I considered putting over Kentucky in my rankings.

3. Wisconsin

Last season: 30-8 (12-6 in Big Ten, T-2nd). Lost to Kentucky in Final Four. Coach Bo Ryan finally got over the hump and did it with an atypically high-scoring – but typically efficient – offense.

This season: Wisconsin loses Ben Brust from a team that made the Final Four last season – and that’s about it. Sam Dekker and Frank Kaminsky are two upperclassmen All-American candidates. Traevon Jackson is one helluva senior point guard. And sophomore forward Nigel Hayes is the player Wisconsin coaches expect will make a big jump this season and make a huge impact in the frontcourt. After not making a Final Four in his first 12 seasons at Wisconsin, two straight Final Fours is the goal for Ryan.

4. Duke

Last season: 26-9 (13-5 in ACC, T-3rd). Lost in Round of 64 to 14-seed Mercer. Gave March joy to Duke haters everywhere.

This season: The best recruiting class in the nation includes possible top NBA draft pick Jahlil Okafor, a game-changing center who has drawn comparisons to a good Andrew Bynum, even a young Tim Duncan. This team is loaded with young talent, including fellow freshmen Justise Winslow – one of my favorites in this year’s freshman class – and mature point guard Tyus Jones. Upperclassmen such as Rasheed Sulaimon and Amile Jefferson will bring the youngsters along. Will Jones be able to unseat senior Quinn Cook at point guard? If he does, he could have the same impact on Duke this season that Tyler Ennis had on Syracuse last season. Reliance on freshmen could mean some bumps in the road in the historically tough ACC, but this team has all the potential in the world.

Scott Sewell-USA TODAY Sports

Perry Ellis could emerge as the best player on another star-laden Kansas roster.

5. Kansas

Last season: 25-10 (14-4 in the Big 12, 1st). Lost in Round of 32 to 10-seed Stanford. Gave Kansas fans an offseason filled with coulda/wouldas, as Joel Embiid’s season-ending injury came at the worst possible time.

This season: No, Bill Self won’t have two of the top three picks in the next NBA Draft – but he could be close. The reliable NBA Draft website DraftExpress.com has two Kansas freshmen, wing Kelly Oubre and manchild of a big man Cliff Alexander, projected as top-five picks, and sophomore shooting guard Wayne Selden as a first-rounder. But this team’s success will depend more on reliable junior forward Perry Ellis – a dark-horse All-American candidate – and freshman point guard Devonte Graham. As usual for a Self team, the expectation will be winning its 11th straight Big 12 regular-season title and making a Final Four.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com