TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Matthews not worried about drop in recruiting rankings

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Matthews not worried about drop in recruiting rankings
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-15-2014 01:57 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think he is going to be a lot better than many think.

Charles Matthews wasn’t sure how he did, but he was “happy for the opportunity” to compete with 52 of the nation’s best high school players at the recent USA Basketball Junior National Team mini-camp in Colorado Springs that is designed to evaluate players for possible inclusion on future USA Basketball rosters.

“I wanted to position myself in a great way to be on a future team. That was my main goal,” said the 6-5 guard from Chicago. “This gave me a chance to learn and compete.”

The guard remains UK’s lone commitment in the 2015 recruiting class. Once a top 15 ranked recruit, his stock slipped during the summer to where the four-star recruit is now down to around 50 in the recruiting rankings.

Matthews battled with injuries throughout the spring and summer, while only playing in eight Nike EYBL Games when he averaged 11 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. However, during a 3-on-3, under 18 summer tourney in Colorado Springs he was on the winning team and named tourney MVP.

“I don’t have to prove nothing. I’m hard on myself, but I try to play my hardest all the time,” he said. “I just wanted to continue what I thought had been good summer play even if some others didn’t see it that way. I wanted to play well, take it to my school season and win a state championship.”

Matthews’ coach at Saint Rita High School in Chicago is befuddled by the way the player’s recruiting ranked dropped.

“I thought he had a terrific summer,” coach Gary DeCesare said. “In the spring, he was playing hurt and that is when everybody got into, ‘What has happened to Charles,’ I guess. He missed two weekends of Nike play with a groin injury. But he participated in everything else you would expect a top player in the country to be in all summer.”

DeCesare rattled off a long list of prestigious camps that Matthews attended over the summer and performed well.

Link

[ 10-15-2014, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-15-2014 03:26 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like I said in another thread on this matter, normally once a recruit commits to UK, his stock goes up and not down. This is a very unusual situation for us. Hopefully this young man has been evaluated down only because of spring and summertime injuries.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com