TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What famous Wildcat birthday was today

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What famous Wildcat birthday was today
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-02-2014 08:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He would have been 113 and his name is Adolph Rupp.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-02-2014 08:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 09-04-2014 08:13 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This man imo, invented Basketball, they ask Nolan Richardson once about his gimmick defense, and Nolan said on national defense, and I quote, Heck Rupp was playing this defense since the 30's.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-04-2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Rupp could have recruited like Cal there would be no doubt in my mind that he was the best coach ever. It's amazing what he could do with a roster of mostly KY kids. Since he left the rest of the country has caught up and you now must recruit all over the country if you want a championship caliber team every year.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 09-04-2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama he probably didn't have the resources they have now. didn't Rupp get Art Laib off the west coast? I heard Rupp say once he could take the best players from state of ky and beat anyone.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-04-2014 01:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Times were so different back in Rupp's era, I bet his recruiting budget wasn't much above 500.00
dollars. Rupp did however get some great out of state players, just to name a few Cotton Nash from Louisiana, Bill Spivey from Georgia and Groza from Ohio.

In the beginning his big advantage was he was a true basketball coach from his very first job as a high school coach from Freeport Illinois, the same gym I played in a few times as a high school player. The best part about Rupp he always out-smarted all his opponents right up until the day he retired. He was such a good coach he didn't need to recruit all the good players as he had the ability to teach his players to play as a team and that they did as his unbelievable record shows.

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 09-04-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rupp and Harry Lancaster drove in a car recruiting most of the time. back then though most all players wanted to play at ky. so Rupp and Ky recruited just on Kentuckys name.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-04-2014 06:03 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rupp used to invite players in for try outs and other coaches would wait outside his tryout sessions and offer scholorships to those Rupp felt could not play at UK. Rupp got most of his players from the states of Ky, Ohio and Indiana.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-04-2014 10:41 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He was good at getting the best player from those 3 states and once in a while he would end up with a pretty good kid from another state. I think when the color barrier was broken in the south basketball changed a lot.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com