TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Should Cal Redshirt Willis?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should Cal Redshirt Willis?
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-17-2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your all's thoughts personally I think so, cause when willie and Lyles come back he will prolly be 12th man. any thoughts?

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-17-2014 09:50 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way Cal recruits, I doubt that Derek will EVER get significant playing time. He'll be another John Hood, IF he stays.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36272 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-17-2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way Cal recruits there is no reason to redshirt anyone. If you can't get playing time this year what makes you think you can get it next year? No way. Cal has done this a couple times now. He goes out and signs a kid early for some reason. Maybe just to get the ball rolling. It hasn't panned out the way I see it. 3 of them have been freshmen and 1 a SO and 1 a JR.

2009-10 Hood
2010-11 Poole
2011-12 Beckham (Jr)
2012-13 Harrow (S0)
2013-14 Willis

All of these may not have been the first one to sign with UK but several were. Now we may be looking at another one next year with Matthews as he almost slid out of the top 100. He has come back up to #42 in the 247 poll. It just seems strange that we get some early signees that are just not good enough to get much PT.

[ 08-17-2014, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14176 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-18-2014 09:29 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see Willis ever getting any playing time under Cal. If I really wanted to play basketball and were Willis, I would transfer to another school. Willis did get significant playing time in the Bahamas and it does not look like he will fit into this years team other than as a bench warmer.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-18-2014 10:17 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The sad part to me he is that he plenty good to not only play but start for most all division one teams in the country.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-18-2014 11:21 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's a Kentucky kid who will probably never make the NBA. If I was him, I'd rather sit the wood for UK than start for EKU. Honestly, I think he'll see the court this year and even more during his remaining years. During the Bahama exhibition games, I thought he played just as well, if not better, than Marcus Lee.
Posts: 10348 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-18-2014 11:36 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too Paulcat. I thought he showed real good athleticism, I did not know he had that kind of athleticism. His three point shooting was off but all other aspects of his game were good, including his defense. He played as well defensively as anyone on the team. If he gets his three point shot going with some consistency, he could possibly make and NBA team were he playing on a regular basis at the college level and I just don't see that happening with Cal.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-18-2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
scwc with cal u are right. like Bilas said willis could start for 250 division one teams.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-18-2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought Willis played very good on the trip as well. Actually, I think every single player had a nice showing on the trip.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-18-2014 12:36 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey I thought Hawkins played very well too, no one hardly mentions him.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-18-2014 12:55 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hawkins and Ulis were our best defenders on this trip, I was impressed with both and Hawkins actually took and made a couple of three point shots during the games, something we would never have seen him try last season. I was impressed with the efforts of all but am still concerned about consistent outside shooting.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-18-2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We recruit shooters every year and we end up lamenting about our outside shooting. Lamb has been the exception. He seemed to be able to make the 3's with regularity. Wiltjer wasn't bad either. Booker is just starting so we'll have to wait and see. But if he doesn't start playing some defense he won't get a lot of time to find his shot. Just because he seems to be relaxed playing with these guys doesn't mean he has a guaranteed starting spot. Right now he would be behind Poythress and Lyles, and Lyles hasn't even played yet. I'm still hoping they can all get it together so we can continue the 2 platoon system at least with some of the lower teams we play. that's the only way I see some of these guys getting much PT. Otherwise it will be the Harrisons, Willie, Dakari, Karl, Tyler, Trey and Alex who form an 8 man rotation. Booker , Lee, Willis and Hawkins will mop up. Hope they all get better.
Posts: 14176 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-18-2014 01:49 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has made public statements praising Willis, of late. I see no need to redshirt the young man and I also think that he will may a big contribution in his last year or two. Cal finally gets a few talented four year guys on the roster and some people think they should be redshirted. There will be games that may be good match ups for Willis or injuries or foul trouble could be factors. I wouldn't redshirt any player, unless they have an injury and can't go.

[ 08-18-2014, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-18-2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom if them some people are me u talking about? I did not say he should be redshirted I just ask a question. but cal will bury him on the bench just like he did last year.hes more athletic than dakari.imo

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-19-2014 12:24 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only player I ever saw Cal offer to redshirt that was not injured, was Wiltjer, at least publicly anyway. I don't really know, but I suspect that Cal felt that that Wiltjer still had potential, despite being slow as Christmas on defense. Cal has stated before that he doesn't believe in redshirting players.

It seem to me that Willis is improving, from last season. But didn't get to see much of his play last year to really remember him.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com