TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » How tired are our Cats?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How tired are our Cats?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 12:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is their 6th game and they have to be a little fatigued mentally and physically. This will give them a ton of confidence if we can finish this off 6-0.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They should not be tired at all. Every player has played no more thnn two and a half games since last Sunday. They should be in much better physical condition than their opponent today and I would be shocked were they to lose. If fatigue is a factor for them against this team, we could be in for a rather long season.

[ 08-17-2014, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 01:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They looked tired to me other than Ulis and without hit him we would be 10 down at the half. They had better realize the team they are playing are out hustling them all over the court. I bet after a good talking to they will come back and play more like they have in previous games.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first team only scored 8 points in the half and 6 of those were by Poy leaving only 2 points from the other 4 starters.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The second unit are showing no signs of being tired. I like the play of them much better than I do that of the first unit, have during this entire exhibition tour. Fatigue should not be a factor for any of them, 4 minutes and out for at least 4 minutes of action should keep fresh legs for all of these young men. I know it is t games in 8 days but in actuality, they have played only two and a half games in that time with the way they have platoon substituted. And our Pit Bull Ulis is a basketball player, he takes no plays off on either end of the floor. He is definitely going to get a lot of minutes and be a major fan favorite this coming season. I never thought a player of his size was capable of doing the things I have seen him do since last Sunday, he is very special and has a basketball IQ that is second to none.

[ 08-17-2014, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 02:01 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Without Ulis we would be down by 10. The little man is special!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 02:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the 2nd unit will start.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 02:04 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Bruce, he is the engine that is making it happen today as he has been in all the games in the Bahamas. He is very special with a basketball IQ second to none.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis is not a good three point shooter, something just does not look right in his delivery of that shot. He is 0 for 5 today, all wide open, uncontested 3's.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 02:46 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Far too many three point shots today, 17 thus far with over 3 minutes to go. Yesterday we made 50 percent of our three point shots, not today. We are 5 for 17 and wthey are 5 for 10. They have quit attacking the zone inside, settling for three point shots the last several minutes. Twins have not played very well today. It would be nice to get a win and go home but this game is still very much in doubt.

[ 08-17-2014, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 03:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They looked gassed!

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-17-2014 03:05 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looked to me like they just quit playing in the last 5 minutes or so.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 03:07 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No reason for them to be gassed, they looked bored to me, no hustle etc. I don't buy into the Billis line of fatigue, we played a lot more players than our opponents did. I thought Robic's substitution pattern in the last 4 minutes cost them the game as much as anything. I would have finished with the second unit, they played with enthusiasm and were the better of the two units today. We are going to need Willie and Lyles once the season starts. No reason we should have lost a 13 point lead in the last 8 minutes of the game.

[ 08-17-2014, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2014 03:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Darn right, there is no reason to be gassed as they did not play a lot of minutes but they sure didn't hustle and play the way they did in previous games. We have far to much talent to play the way we did. The good thing is they had to realize that if you don't give it your all bad things can happen. In the long run it's probably going to be more of a positive than a negative.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 03:42 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Bruce. I fear our achilles heel again this year is going to be inconsistent outside shooting. It appears that only Aaron Harrison will be a consistent 3 point threat. Booker might develop but I have not been that impressed with his play and Willis, who I thought was a 3 point shooter last season, has little to no outside shot anymore. He will spend a lot of time on the bench again this year. I don't like the way they platooned the players, I like the more traditional game management than I do a platooning system. The second unit seemed to look better all week long than the first unit did. Very poor team effort today. The second team created what little excitement we had in the game, first unit was pretty much a no show today. Hopefully they will learn more from the loss than they would had they won. After the first three dunk fests they had, their opponents took that away inside and Kentucky did not seem to know what to do without the lob and dunk. They are young and should be ready by the first game. I hope Willie and Lyles are ok because we are going to need them. Not enough shot blocking all week long and we need a rim protector for this team really bad. Dakari is a pretty good offensive player but he is not a shot blocker.

[ 08-17-2014, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-17-2014 04:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well there you go. It's Sunday and I forgot the game was on. So it looks like I missed nothing important. From what you guys are saying it just reinforces my thoughts so far. This will not be an undefeated season by no means. Just because we have 9 all americans doesn't mean we can't lose. And we will probably lose 1 handfull, and maybe start on the fingers of the second hand.

Booker has made a few 3's but overall he will have to learn from the bench and practice. I am pushing Hawkins ahead of him for overall playing results.

Unless Willie has a problem returning Dakari will be back on the bench for a good part of the game. It looks like our so called shooting ability could be headed for the can as in past seasons when we were supposed to have outstanding shooters coming in.

I'm not trying to degrade the team, I'm just seeing it like it is at this time, which is August. Sure hope they all improve by November. Now to look for the replay time tonight so I can see just how bad it was.

Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-17-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, look at the stats. The starters of Dakari, Alex, Harrison twins and Booker together only scored 23 of our 62 points today. They were a total no show as a unit.

[ 08-17-2014, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

shoe
Player
Member # 1830

posted 08-17-2014 05:04 PM      Profile for shoe   Email shoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was a trip for the team that I think would have fatigue them. This was not a basketball trip but an overall vacation with basketball thrown in. They had many other things on their plate, like swimming, making appearance having fun.

Just swimming really takes it out of you in the hot sun all day. Making appearance like giving out the shoes to the kids. I don't know if they practice but that would take it out of you also.

I just got back from a vacation in Florida and I was beat. (of course i'm an old man). Throw in six games in eight days against men, and it can take it out of you.

Posts: 685 | From: Dayton,Ky | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-17-2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Definitely fatigued today and ready to get home, but a great trip for the team IMO.

I would normally be in the "not" fatigued camp, but 6 very physical games in 8 days plus all of the appearances took it out of the them today.

Loved what I saw in the 6 games. Should be a very exciting season.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-17-2014 06:53 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We lost an "exhibition" game against older experienced players with good talent. We had two probable starters on the bench. We were using a platoon system with most players getting about the same amount of time with little regard for talent or where they fit in. No big deal IMO.
Posts: 5405 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-17-2014 08:05 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
they were basketball burnt out, 6 games in 8 days will take it out of them, we will struggle all year on defense, and I said it before we have no go to shooter. thought cal was going to coach today.i think we were outscored 9 nothing in last 2 minutes, cant let that happen. should have only played 4 games and let the kids enjoy themselves.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-17-2014 08:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We scored 3 points after having a 12 point lead with just under 9 minutes to play!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-17-2014 09:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If this keeps up the way it is headed there will be some disappointed returnees. That is if Cal lets all of them know how they are playing. As was said above, the second team played better than the first team through most of the tournament. So this should be a signal loud and clear to all the veteran players to either pick your game up and play a little better team ball or you may not be headed in the right direction. Of course there is also the possibility that some of those guys on the second team are better, or want to be better, than the first team. Guys, this is a new situation for Cal. Unless some of the older guys can up their game in the next couple months they could be on the second team. As much as I would like to see a 2 platoon team these guys may cause it to not happen.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-17-2014 11:54 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my fear that some of these kids will start playing for nba scouts, and not play team ball.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-18-2014 09:32 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We actually had a 13 point lead with about 8 minutes to go in the game.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-18-2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC,

True and I get what you are saying. I saw a lot of short shots and really more mental fatigue than physical. I told my wife around the 5 minute mark that I thought the DR would win the game. Those kids looked drained the last 12 minutes or so especially. I just think it was a long trip away from home and the kids, coaches, and everyone else just seemed disinterested in this game from the tip, even the fans in attendance.

I read nothing into the game at all. This team is going to be fantastic and in be right there for a chance at Title Number 9 and I know that you probably feel the same way.

Losses just are not very fun even if it is a summer exhibition game.

[ 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-18-2014 10:13 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know we "all" new how good this team was going to be and many UK fans are talking 40-0. That is way to early to talk about but it shows the mind set after seeing all the new good recruits and even more importantly the talented players that stayed for another season. You would be hard put to find another Kentucky team that went as deep as this team and I'd argue you can't, they are that good.

What I like so far about this team is how they play together with little to no animosity about there playing time. They legitimately have 12 players that could play on any team in the country and will see limited minutes this year playing for the Cats. If they can continue playing together like we have seen so far this team is "really" going to be special as their talent 1 trough 12 is unprecedented. imo

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-18-2014 10:30 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
catmandoo, I couldn't agree more. Some are putting way too much emphasis on an exhibition loss. I don't think we go undefeated, but I see "very few" losses for this team.
Posts: 5405 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-18-2014 01:34 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal realizes he has a team that may never be equaled as far as their abilities. He knows the easiest way to keep them all happy is the platoon system. whether they can all contribute enough to a win remains to be seen. But having them accustomed to playing most of the time with 4 other guys can build confidence. Figuring out who the 2 remaining subs will be may not be so much fun for them. Right now I see Willis and Booker as the tall and short subs for anyone who gets in foul trouble or hurt. If there are more than 2 guys in trouble the platoon system would have to be modified for periods of time. I'm not ready to scrap it and I think Cal will continue it as long as he can.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-18-2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to be convinced that Cal is going to try and utilize the platoon system. I've been in the firm camp that he will stick with his 7 to 8 man rotation, but I'm beginning to believe differently.

The only thing I see different than most on here is that I think Booker is solidly in a rotation of 8 and defintely in the platoon. I don't think his defense was nearly as bad as many made it out to be (a lot of the drives he gave up were more on Dakari than him. Dakari did not play the high screen properly 90% of the time on the trip), he showed me that he could take the ball to the rack when I thought he was a spot up shooter only, and he showed in the Saturday game that he was willing to take and make shots with the game on the line (his little step back 15 footer was a thing of beauty). He showed good passing ability and he was always moving without the ball on offense (I watch games differently than most people. I hardly ever watch the players with the ball, I watch the players without the ball to see what they are doing). I like the kid a lot.

[ 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-18-2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like him too but he will find that Cal will be on him on defense. I saw several times he was just trailing his man as he drove for a free layup. Of course Dakari gets caught when there is a screen and he doesn't get switched back on his man. They all got a lot to learn.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com