TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Robic not been around a player like Ulis

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robic not been around a player like Ulis
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-14-2014 09:31 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ulis is special no doubt about it and will get his minutes for sure. This article is well worth the read.

In the 18 years he’s been with Kentucky coach John Calipari, John Robic says that 5-9 freshman point guard is the “smallest guard we have ever had.”

However, Ulis is certainly playing much bigger than that so far in UK’s three exhibition games in Nassau.

He had seven points and four assists in Tuesday’s win. He has had three or more assists in each game and has made a 3-pointer in the last two games. He also has four steals.

“You really don’t have to teach Tyler Ulis a lot,” said Robic on the UK Network postgame radio show after Tuesday’s win. “He has a great feel for the game. One or the more advanced players IQ-wise for freshman on Aug. 12 I have ever been around. He’s really good.

“When you are that small, you have to play small and be quick and be a pain in the rear with opponents. He is that. He makes up for lack of size by getting into players and offensively he sees the floor.”

Ulis is also what Robic calls a “tough kid” on the court.

When he came to Kentucky to play last January, he had sprained his right wrist the game before but played in front of UK fans and led his team to a win. In Tuesday’s game, he was decked by a Puerto Rican player when he ran into a screen. He got up and on UK’s next series threw a lot pass that led to a score.

“He’s a tough kid. He’s not going to back down,” Robic said.

“The lights clearly went off, but they came right back on for him. He’s tough,” ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said during the game.

Teammates Marcus Lee said it didn’t take long for players to realize how tough Ulis, who is from Chicago, is when he came for a visit.

“The day he came to play with us last year and tried to fight — who’d he go after? — DeMarcus Cousins. And DeMarcus Cousins is a big person, so I wouldn’t do nothing stupid like that. But he had that fight, like, ‘No, I’m not backing down from you.’ I’m like, ‘All right, let me help you with this. Let’s back it up.’ But he wasn’t stopping,” Lee said in Tuesday’s postgame press conference

Ulis doesn’t try to over complicate the game.

“My role is just to come in and distract the guard and force him to play faster and offensively keep everyone involved and run the offense,” Ulis said Tuesday during a postgame interview on ESPN. “It is great coming in learning from guys like Andrew (Harrison) especially. The way he runs pick and roll. Competing with these guys in practice every day gets us better.”

He says going against the 6-6 Harrison daily makes him better.

“He pushes me. He’s strong and physical,”  Ulis said. “The whole game is a lot more physical. But I am really looking forward to this season.”

Calipari indicated during an interview on ESPN just how much he is looking forward to having Ulis.

“He will deliver balls for shots and really changes the complexion of what everybody is looking at,” Calipari said. “He throws the lob better with his left (hand) than his right.”

Calipari said there is no drop in team play when Ulis replaces Harrison in the lineup.

“It’s a step up in energy and you know he is going to play,” Calipari said. “He is going to get it (the ball) to you in a place where you can score. Everybody runs like crazy because you think you are getting the ball. His head is always up.”

Link

[ 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-14-2014 10:03 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know I have really been impressed with his play during the first three exhibition games. He does play like one tough guy and he has skills that you don't have to teach. He will be a fan favorite with the Cats this year.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-14-2014 12:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, I would bet Ulis will stay another year or two, not because of his abilities but "maybe" because of his size. There has been other point guards his size that have made it in the NBA and Ulis will too but he might wait a year or two to hone his skills before making the move. Time will tell and what ever he decides I'm sure will work out for him.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-14-2014 02:35 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He plays like a veteran, and not only is he a terrific point guard, he will knock down the 3 on teams, that makes him really hard to guard, cause if u get up on him, he will go around players, and if u give him daylight he will knock down the 3. Ronnie Lyons, dickie beal come to mind, better shooter than Beal, and quicker than little Ronnie.He will push Andrew all year, and make Andrew a lot better player by pushing him.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-14-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love Uliss. One correction to the article. Cal was not speaking about Uliss when he said "he throws the lob better with his left than right" he was commenting about Derek Willis.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-14-2014 04:11 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did not realize Willis had the athleticism he showed in the Tuesday game. He was playing well above the rim on a couple of plays. I am very impressed with the team talent in the exhibition games I have seen thus far. They seem to be very unselfish and don't seem to care who scores, that is the kind of team chemistry you want to have.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-14-2014 04:36 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last year there were a lot of folks that thought Willis should have been getting more playing time. I was skeptical and fairly vocal about his abilities and didn't agree. I thought he was probably lacking on the defensive end of the court. Based on these three exhibition games, he does not appear to be a defensive liability, at least IMO. The young man can play and is much more athletic than I gave him credit for.

Still don't know how much time he will get. I just don't see Cal continuing this pattern of substituting 5 at a time but even if he does I'm not sure who Willis would play in front of once Willie and Trey return.

[ 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com