TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Kentucky will be deep in talent

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kentucky will be deep in talent
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-14-2014 06:06 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From an ESPN article on this years Cats:

Kentucky sophomore forward Marcus Lee is just one part of arguably the nation's top frontcourt.
My summer began with the LeBron James Skills Academy and didn’t truly end until I landed in Charleston (for a planned vacation with my wife) to the news that Cougars coach Doug Wojcik had been fired.

Along the way, there were countless AAU contests in several locations, and there were drills and games involving some of the top college players in the country. A few days also were spent at the NBA Summer League and, on TV, seeing a glimpse of a new, loaded Kentucky Wildcats team playing down in the Bahamas.

Here are my 10 college basketball takeaways from the summer, starting with that scary Kentucky team.

1. I’ve watched a decent portion of Kentucky’s games down in the Bahamas -- which were aired on ESPNU -- and this Wildcats team is the deepest I’ve seen in the past decade. It’s not just ordinary depth, either -- it’s quality, insane depth. Marcus Lee, who showed glimpses of what he could do in the NCAA tourney last year, may not find his way into the rotation. Derek Willis, who could start for at least 250 teams around the nation, is the seventh big man on the depth chart. Seventh! These guys are currently without two of their top frontline guys due to injury -- junior Willie Cauley-Stein and skilled freshman forward Trey Lyles -- and they still look deep and overwhelming.

I know the competition in two of the three games has been fairly lackluster, but the fact remains that this team doesn’t lack for much (other than a true small forward) and the difference-maker with this group is diminutive freshman point guard Tyler Ulis. Andrew Harrison was erratic with his floor game and did not set up his teammates for easy baskets nearly as often as Ulis, who also will be a pest on the defensive end due to his speed, quickness and toughness.

[ 08-14-2014, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-14-2014 12:43 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read that somewhere, Kentucky Sports Radio, I think. I believe this guy is giving Andrew undeserved grief. If he had checked the box score, he would see that Andrew out-shined Tyler in every category, including assists. That's not a knock on Ulis, I love his play. I just think the more experienced Andrew is the starter.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-14-2014 02:31 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Norm, Ulis is exciting but he will not play ahead of Andrew in the rotation this year. I thought the twins played outstanding basketball in the three exhibitions and will be our starting guards for the entire season if neither have any injuries. I have picked four of my five starters, Towns, Poythress and the twins. The fifth will come from between Dakari, Lyles and Willie by mid season assuming all are healthy and able to play.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 08-14-2014 02:40 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a player like ulis will come into the game and make u play hard, whether you want to or not, the last game ulis had 7 points 6 assist. not bad numbers off the bench. I love mighty mouse.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-14-2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC,

Imagine if Willis was that fifth starter. Townes, Poythress, Willis, and the Twins -- that is a tall lineup, and every one of them can not only score in the paint, they can all hit the three. They would give opposing defenses fits.

Now imagine WCS, Lee, Lyle, Ullis, and Hawkins. That would be a defensive team par excellence. Two rim-defenders, two perimeter pests, and Lyle.

Ah, the possibilities. It will be a fun season.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-14-2014 04:36 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Again, as we all know it is not who starts the game but who plays the most minutes because they are helping the team and who is playing at the end during crunch time. I'm sure Ulis will compete for his share of the PG minutes with Andrew.
Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 08-16-2014 06:51 AM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I don't want Alex shooting threes for us and Willis is getting better but still a defensive liability.

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 08-16-2014 06:54 AM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I don't want Alex shooting threes for us and Willis is getting better but still a defensive liability.

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-16-2014 10:33 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see Willis as a defensive liability. He has played as good defensively as anyone on the team in these four exhibition games. His shooting other than the one game has not been good and yesterday he had only 3 rebounds with 3 turnovers and no points. I would like to see them experiment with different units playing together during these exhibition games but that has not happened thus far. I was impressed with his speed and athleticism during the second Puerto Rico game. I have seen nothing defensively that would cost him minutes this year.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-16-2014 01:18 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too have been impressed with Willis. My only complaint about him is his offensive rebounding unless I'm missing something. I don't remember him getting even one offensive board so far. Can that be right?
Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com