TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » two platoon system?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: two platoon system?
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-29-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I said it long ago, and I am still a fan of it. It worked in 1996 when they were so deep and this team has the capability to give it a try. We all want to see a lot of running offense and full court defenses and this is the way to accomplish that. Run the opponent for 3-4 minutes and change them out for the second platoon, and run them some more. Plus we would have two extra guys such as Hawkins and Willis to exchange for a small or a big who wasn't getting the job done. I hope he gives it a try in practice to find out who plays the best with who. then give it a try in the early games.

"""Meanwhile, with Calipari’s cup runneth over with talent, DeCourcy writes that the coach has “pondered whether to open the season with two platoons, essentially subbing out one group of five for another.”

Dean Smith often did the same thing at North Carolina, and on paper at least Kentucky does look to have that kind of depth."""

Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-29-2014 03:04 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With this group, I would like to see him give this a try or at least something similar. Just don't think it will happen in big games.
Posts: 5402 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-29-2014 03:48 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thought it was a discussion on military strategy for a minute.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-29-2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha! Sounds like it if you know anything about the Army. I will agree that when we play one of those big games early in the season he may not be brave enough to go with that plan. And it may not work against top teams unless we are hitting on all cylinders. But for the direction teams and teams being coached by friends just for the payout it could work wonders for these guys. He should be able to determine which five guys can play with each other and balance out two groups.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-29-2014 06:17 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never been a fan of the platoon system myself. I believe in taking advantage of your talent by creating individual match ups for your opponents rather than wholesale substitution. It never really worked all that well for Dean Smith. I want to see Coach Cal use more players than a six or seven man rotation but can only see a rare occasion where any coach might use the platoon system.

[ 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-30-2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only because you can. That's my feeling on it.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com