TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Jaylen Brown.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jaylen Brown.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-26-2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
imo is the best player in the 2015 class, Ingram is right there with him, if we can get one or both of those players we are set, hopefully Brown, if I had to choose one.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-26-2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think our superiority in the recruiting area is starting to drop off starting with the 4 freshmen we have this year. They are all good guys but we lost out on some other higher rated guys. I think we'll find that a lot of the top 25 guys will be spread over a larger group of schools with the 2015 class. I also think that other coaches have learned how to out talk Cal with some of them. The novelty is starting to wear off with some of the top guys. But there are still some good ones out there that we will sign. But I think we're going to find it harder to sign 6-7 of the top 35 like we have done a couple times in the past. For example, I thought we had a great shot at Brown, Ingram and Blakeney. My thoughts are now that Brown will probably be lured to stay home with GA. Ingram has too many schools in NC pulling on him to stay home also. And Blakeney wouldn't surprise me if he goes with Louisville or Florida. Right now I have backed off all those I thought we would get except for Bragg and Stone. Replacing Newman on my list is a trio of lesser known guys like Dorsey, Dozier and Davis. Maybe not as rated higher than Newman at this point but loof at Ulis. He wasn't rated that high either until he signed with UK and started beating up some of the higher guys in all star games like Jones. This class has really started becoming a big question mark and will not start falling into place until 2 or 3 guys make their decisions.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-26-2014 02:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True or not there are a lot of rumors that have Cal going to coach Lebron in the next few years and it could be coachs are using it when talking to the better recruits. It has to be something like Bama points out because these recruits are not showing Kentucky the love that they have since Cal has been at Kentucky. It also could be that other coachs as deceiving they can be could be pointing out how Cal's teams have lost 23 games in the last two years and 12 game in the SEC with a lot of talent. Something is happening as it's very obvious our recruiting prowess is dropping off considerably.

Looking at the bright side it could be just a anomaly and some of the better unsigned recruits pick the Cats and Cal continues recruiting the better players in each class.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-26-2014 05:58 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope you're right but right now all we have is a guard who has dropped to #58 in the 247 ratings. I just don't believe he is that low but I think they have dropped him for a reason that I can't understand.
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 07-26-2014 07:08 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the freshmen will be spread out over many schools, but coach cal won't be out worked and I believe we'll still have the greatest collection of talent.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9799 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-27-2014 04:44 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cmd I believe cal will be loving up to Lebron after this year. he has already said his dream is to coach Lebron, and the 2015 class is not very strong imo.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

viccolo
Player
Member # 1860

posted 07-27-2014 11:24 AM      Profile for viccolo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal loves him because, all a coach has to do is hand him the Ball. with a player like that life is Good....

--------------------
Vicco Ky ...Dodge City of the east

Posts: 2449 | From: Saint Marys OH | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-27-2014 01:40 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Cal has no more allegiance to UK than to try to get a job in the NBA coaching Lebron James, let him go. We have had many basketball coaches in my lifetime, starting with Rupp. All have been successful at UK except Billie Gillispie and I have no doubt that we will have no trouble replacing Cal with a high caliber coach if and when he leaves. I am sick and tired of hearing about the Lebron James love affair. Cal is an outstanding coach but he does not walk on WATER. If Cal wants to take a pay cut to coach Lebron, let him go. I do think the mere rumor of this story will probably hurt our recruiting over the next couple of years even under Cal. Cal himself is the one responsible for this rumor.

[ 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-27-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No one is or has been bigger than the Kentucky program and never will be.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-27-2014 02:48 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was the point I was trying to make Bruce, thanks for simplifying it for me. We all love having Cal as our coach but these self generated rumors by him are starting to get to many of our fan base, me included. Cal is great at promoting himself, acting much like many of our politicians from time to time.

[ 07-27-2014, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-27-2014 07:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As was said above all but one of the 7 coaches at at UK in my lifetime has been a winner. Since Rupp started in the 30's having only 7 coaches is saying a lot for the program. Take away Billy Gs 2 years and Suttons short tenure we would have only 5 coaches. I would say there are several top coaches who would be ready to step in to take over the reins. I don't think we would hardly miss a beat.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-27-2014 09:29 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Common sense tells me I should keep my mouth shut but that's never been a deterrent for me. I agree that no one person is bigger than the UK program. Cal is human and has his faults and makes mistakes, this may be one of them.

I don't agree that he could leave and we would hardly miss a beat. I think it's possible we might miss a whole bunch of "beats". I forget, who hired that a$$hole Billy Clyde?

Posts: 5410 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-27-2014 09:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No problem. I'm always around to relieve you from all the heat. [Big Grin] We all make mistakes and the Athletic Director has made mistake. No more allowed. But I think there are several guys out there who could recruit very well. But would they have the same feelings for coaching at UK as Cal does? Most probably not but I'm sure there is a top man who would feel the same as Cal.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-28-2014 03:39 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gillispie was the only basketball coach ever hired at UK by only the AD doing to vetting. I bet that will never happen again. When we got Cal, Mike Pratt was in charge of the search committee to replace Billy G. I am in the corner with Bama, we would miss Cal but Kentucky basketball is much larger than any one individual.
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-28-2014 08:13 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what scwc said truer words never spoken, and hes right Cal started this rumor, and it will hurt recruiting , that's when cal packs his bags and high tales it. Cal lost 2 games with the 2 number one recruiting classes. how can that happen? If that was Tubby. we would still be hearing about it.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-28-2014 10:04 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First let me say I believe everyone who has posted on this thread is a true blue UK fan and will back Cal as long as he is loyal to UK and is our coach. I wanted to say that so no one thinks I am including them in the following comments.

I was in western Kentucky recently attending my 50th class reunion. I was shocked at the number of people that disliked Cal and some even seemed to hate the man. One of my best friends has not followed UK since Cal became coach and actively roots against them. The majority were Cal supporters but the anti Cal minority were very vocal. I've said before that the Cal hire made me "uneasy" but to date, he has proved me wrong, at least IMO.

I too wish Cal would tone down some of his rhetoric but believe there are few, if any, that could have turned around the program so quickly after the disaster of the Billy Clyde years.

Are there coaches out there who could continue the winning traditions that Cal has brought back to our program and be willing to leave their present program? Probably, but I believe the really good "proven" coaches ain't going anywhere. Most that are left would be a crap shoot IMO.

Again, I agree NO ONE, including Cal, is bigger than the program.

[ 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5410 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-28-2014 07:22 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have to remember who Cal inherited. Harrelson, Patterson, Liggins, Stevenson, Miller, Harris and Porter, plus several others he found new homes for. Then he had 3 good recruits he brought with him from Memphis and he was able to sign 3 top recruits that Billy had set up. If you look back on this team it was truly the deepest team he has had since he's been here. And we all know what should have happened. This years team may be as deep and better than that team. This was Cals dream job and I imagine there is another top coach out there who thinks that also. We don't want to search for a new coach anytime soon but if it happens we will still come out on top. Back on the subject of Brown, if we get him or some of the others who are on our list Cal will be earning his pay. There are so many of these guys who hold offers from UK who will choose to go elsewhere so they can get more PT.

[ 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com