TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Could Mudiay's move to China start a trend?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could Mudiay's move to China start a trend?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-23-2014 09:31 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a good question and a possibility, we will just have to wait and see. What do you think?

week ago, news broke that Emmanuel Mudiay would skip playing college ball at SMU and pursue professional opportunities. That set into motion plenty of discussion about whether the move would be a good or bad one and if it would be emulated by future high-level talents.

Tuesday, the family of the 6-foot-5 point guard from Dallas (Texas) Prime Prep confirmed to Rivals.com that Mudiay will be leaving for China in late September to play for Guangdong. The move -- first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports -- comes along with a contract of $1.2 million for the year overseas.

Now that the move has been made, there is little doubt that top prospects and the coaches who recruit them will be watching very closely to see how things go even if there is no guarantee that others will line up to follow in his footsteps.

Bottom line, elite talents skipping college to play overseas is still rare. In the class of 2008 Brandon Jennings did it by going to Italy for a year before heading to the NBA rather than attending Arizona. He is now doing very well for himself in the NBA. In 2009, Jeremy Tyler took it a step further by skipping his senior year of high school to head overseas and made stops in both Israel and Japan before making his way to the NBA where he is preparing for his fourth season in the league.

Will Mudiay's success or failure set a new trend? It is too early to tell, but what little data we have suggests that we haven't yet reached a point where heading overseas is something that we should expect to be common.

Should the NBA change the current one-and-done rule to a two-year requirement, then this could become a different discussion. For now, though, Mudiay will likely be an exception to the norm rather than a trailblazer.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-23-2014 10:05 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO Larry Brown found out Mudiahy was ineligible. so this is the best way to escape the NCAA. jmho. But to answer the question , yes I do think this is the way of the future. After all what is a degree worth this day and time? just asking, not much in the eyes of young people. when u are offering them millions not to get a degree.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-23-2014 04:22 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green Bean, that was what I thought when I originally read the article a week or so about him playing overseas because the NCAA were looking into his eligibility. I think he was probably going to be ruled ineligible by the NCAA and that is the reason he is off to China.

Only time will tell whether going overseas instead of college will become a common practice.

[ 07-23-2014, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com