TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Fans still remember Givens 41 pts against Duke

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fans still remember Givens 41 pts against Duke
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-19-2014 02:26 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That game is and always will be one Kentucky's greatest victories.

Of course, fans here wanted to relive one of Givens’ best moments — his 41-point performance against Duke in the 1978 national championship victory in St. Louis when he was 18-for-27 from the field.

“I still can’t believe it has been that long ago,” Givens, 57, said. “Now with the internet, younger people actually get to see highlights from that game. I understand folks my age still want to talk about that game and folks who saw the game or are just UK fans. But the thing that amazes me is where young people come up and want to talk about it and they were not even born then. That’s what the internet has done and how it has brought guys like me back to life. Now a new generation that loves Kentucky basketball can see the old players, too. Reading about it is one thing, but watching it is a whole different thing.

“I coach group of eighth grade boys in northern Kentucky. They did not know anything about me. Some parents made sure the kids did some research and it brought a whole new light to their eyes when they knew I played at Kentucky. It is interesting and neat when younger Kentucky fans watch some of us old guys and feel like they know us and get to watch us play.”

Most of those here knew plenty about Givens, who earned Kentucky Mr. Basketball and Parade All-America honors after his senior year at Lexington’s Bryan Station High School in 1974. He became a four-year letterman at Kentucky and scored 2,038 points in 123 games (16.6 points per game) and ranks third on the school’s all-time scoring list. His jersey has been retired and hangs in the Rupp Arena rafters.

He was in position to win three national championships. His freshman season in 1975, UK lost in the Final Four to UCLA in San Diego in legendary coach John Wooden’s final season. In 1977 when he was a junior, UK lost to North Carolina in the Elite Eight when rules still allowed the Tar Heels to spread the floor and go into a four-corner delay offense to protect a lead.

“I don’t know that people understand how good that team my junior year was,” Givens, the 16th overall pick in the 1978 NBA draft who played two years with the Atlanta Hawks, said. “Kyle Macy sat out that year (as a transfer from Purdue). Put Macy on that team and we really would have been special.  Larry Johnson was a tremendous ballhandler and passer and defender like no other guard I ever played with.

“We still had Rick (Robey), Mike (Phillips), James (Lee) and myself. Marion Haskins ws a big key to that team, too. We had great players on that team and it could have very easily been another championship. And as freshmen we lost to UCLS in a game that quite frankly I felt we should have won. But there was so much emotion with coach Wooden. Still, we had a great opportunity to win and could have won three championships.”

Givens, not surprisingly, says most fans want to talk about the victory over Duke that gave coach Joe B. Hall his national championship.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-19-2014 03:29 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Goose is one of my all time favorites and always will be. Can't believe he is 57. I remember the game well. I believe he was a lefty but in my old age I'm not sure.

[ 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5402 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-19-2014 04:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, he was a lefty and had the sweetest stroke as good as anyone has ever had and it produced string music on many occasions. I too can't believe he is 57 as it seemed like yesterday he was lighting it up for the Cats. (well almost like yesterday) [Wink]

[ 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-19-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I actually don't remember that performance. I guess that's because I had not developed my intense dislike for all things Dook, at that time. Christian Laettner had not yet stomped Aminu Timberlake in the chest and got away with it.

The Stomp

[ 07-19-2014, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 07-19-2014 06:56 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember it well. In 1978, I was 11 years old and my love affair with Kentucky Basketball was just beginning. That performance in the finals along with the James Lee break away dunks are my earliest and most found memories of UK basketball. From that point forward, I can remember huddling around the old AM radio to listen to my Cats play.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2256 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-19-2014 09:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Givens is not a fan of one and done per the Linked article.

Jack Givens is not a fan of the one-and-done scenario even if coach John Calipari is making it work at Kentucky.

“I am not a fan of the one-and-done situation. I am a Kentucky fan, so I want guys to stay longer so I can see them pay more. It is probably a selfish thing on my part,” Givens said. “Can you imagine how good the Anthony Davis (2012 national championship team) would be if they had stayed together three years. That is a championship every year.

“Having said that, I would rather have them for one year than play against them. I am smart enough to know that. I am glad we do get them. I wish we could keep them longer.”

Givens noted that the NBA might eventually enact a rule that would require players to stay in school two years. However, he warned that also likely will allow players to go straight to the NBA out of high school, something that is not permitted now.

“We may not get some of the players we do now if that happens because some of them are probably good enough to go out of high school,” Givens said. “But I am not a fan of the one-and-done player and I don’t think Calipari is, either. He’s smart, it’s the rules for now and he’s great at doing that.”

Link

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 07-23-2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember it well, I also remember the battles him and James Lee had in High school, Givens was the last of the mid range Jump shot guys. He was deadly with that 15 ft. jumper.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com