TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Emmanuel Mudiay leaving SMU before he even starts

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emmanuel Mudiay leaving SMU before he even starts
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-14-2014 02:16 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heading to play overseas for cash due to the NCAA questioning his amatuer status I guess. I would not be surprised to see more and more "1 and Done" players go this route due to the NCAA compliance beast.

[ 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-14-2014 02:52 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's sucks for SMU!
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-14-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad he didn't sign on at UK!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-14-2014 06:03 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There goes Larry Browns future team building. I haven't heard a word about this until now. Another case of wondering what is going on with the NCAA.
Posts: 14171 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-15-2014 09:24 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like I forgot to link the article. They have updated it with other information as well. It is now saying it was a combination of wanting to help his mother out financially and a source saying that the NCAA was questioning his amateur status. Who knows.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/1121 4190/smu-mustangs-prospect-emmanuel-mudiay-headed-overseas

[ 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-15-2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here was the statement he released to SI:

"I was excited about going to SMU and playing college basketball for Coach Brown and his staff and preparing for the NBA, but I was tired of seeing my mom struggle," Mudiay said via a statement his brother, Stephane, provided to SI.com. "And after sitting down with Coach Brown and my family we decided that the best way for me to provide for my mom was to forgo college and pursue professional basketball opportunities. I am grateful for Prime Prep coach [Ray] Forsett for developing me into the player and man that I am and I am also grateful for Coach Brown's guidance and his support. This has nothing to do with my eligibility in any way."

--------------------

redbone

Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 07-15-2014 04:55 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish him luck. Brandon Jennings out of Oak Hill Academy did this and said it was the worst experience ever. He was selected 10th in the subsequent draft (2009) by the Bucks.
Might see more of this in the future if NCAA doesn't get it together and provide something for these kids that are earning millions for the NCAA. They deserve a piece of the pie.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-15-2014 10:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good to see him be so gracious to all the Cat fans and coach Calipari. Good luck to him in his quest for professional basketball stardom.

He had picked SMU over Kentucky only a few weeks before the event, but was gracious with UK fans and in his praise of UK coach John Calipari as well as UK signee Tyler Ulis, a Chicago point guard.

However, I have to admit I was a bit surprised to learn this week that he will be playing professionally in Europe, and not at SMU this season. SMU coach Larry Brown says this is not an “academic issue, since he has been admitted to SMU, but rather a hardship issue.”

Mudiay said simply that he wants to make money to take care of his mother before he’s eligible for the NBA draft in 2015.

Here’s what Mudiay said about UK fans at the Marshall Hoopfest: “The fans are great. A lot of people were telling me they were probably going to boo me and stuff like that, but they are great people, great individuals. A lot of them told me good luck at SMU where I am going. I probably wasn’t expecting that, but I love them for that. I have great respect for Kentucky fans and the school itself.”

Here’s what he said about Calipari: “He wished me the best and I respect that. Some coaches are hurt when you say no, but he just told me to go out there and do what you can do. Larry Brown was talking some stuff and that relationship with Calipari made it better. But I really respect him for how he handled everything. He made it easy on me. I had nothing against Kentucky. I just thought SMU was better for me.”

He called Ulis a “great point guard” who could make incredible passes and more than hold his own against anyone.

Since then, Ulis’ stock has continued to rise and now having him and not Mudiay — and you can draw your own conclusions on what happened with SMU — has turned out to be a blessing for UK.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com