TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » CNN nails North Carolina

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CNN nails North Carolina
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-08-2014 09:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sure does look like North Carolina really pooped in their mess kit. Check out this video.

Video Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-08-2014 10:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is another article where it talks about how UNC has reached out to Rashad McCants who is telling what on in the UNC program while he was there.

UNC reached out to former player Rashad McCants on Sunday, asking him to meet to talk about his recent statements on ESPN and Sirius radio in which he accused the university of academic misconduct.

The letter, signed by associate athletic director Vincent Ille, asked McCants to contact the school to discuss his critical comments about the basketball team.

“I learned today of public statements you have made that indicate your knowledge of potential NCAA rule violations involving the University of North Carolina,” the letter says. “I would like to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss this in greater detail.”

Reached Sunday night, Ille confirmed that a registered letter was sent to McCants’ residence, along with two text messages. Ille said he had not received a reply as of Sunday night.

McCants, a key player on UNC’s 2005 national title basketball team, made national news when he told ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” in an interview that aired last month that tutors wrote his papers and that he relied on no-show African and Afro-American Studies classes to remain eligible during his time at UNC. In danger of becoming academically ineligible, he said that he took all AFAM classes in the spring of 2005 and that he did so well he made the dean’s list.

Copies of McCants’ transcript, which “Outside the Lines” obtained, verify his course load.

McCants told ESPN that UNC coach Roy Williams knew about the no-show classes, and that Williams in the fall of 2004 warned him that he could become academically ineligible. Williams denied McCants’ claims and said he had no knowledge of tutors writing papers for his players.

McCants said on Friday in an interview on Sirius Radio that he has not talked to the NCAA about his allegations. The NCAA reopened its investigation into UNC athletics last week.

Link

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-09-2014 04:13 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do agree with the announcer, the coach has to know what was going on within his program or he should be fired immediately. If this were Kentucky, we would have every news outlet and the entire enforcement staff of the NCAA on the UK campus trying to nail our hides to the wall. I doubt we will ever see that happen at UNC.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-09-2014 08:02 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, it's even worse if he didn't know what was going on. I think what ever happens Roy Williams has lost all credibility as a coach and human being to a whole lot of people.

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-09-2014 09:51 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think what ever happens Roy Williams has lost all credibility as a coach and human being to a whole lot of people.

Except the NC fans.
Posts: 5409 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-09-2014 09:59 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy, If Attila the Hun coached North Carolina they would idolize ground he walked on.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-09-2014 10:23 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IU fan loyalty for Bobby Knight is unmatched, imho. He threw chairs, cussed everyone out, initmidated and abused players and the IU fans still worship him.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-09-2014 12:19 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a problem with news programs like this. That's why I hardly ever watch news stations. 99% of what the guy said is not based on proven fact, and it's mainly just his speculation. Now it may be, and probably is, correct. But I don't need that out of a "news" station. News stations should just report facts - not "he said/she said" or some guy's opinion. Eventually this entire mess will clear the air and be made public. Until then, I won't even think about it.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-09-2014 01:42 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is not UK, this is UNC, I seriously doubt that anything will ever be made public. It is a known fact that these things actually happened at UNC and the man is speaking his opinion based on facts. I watch sports news as well as hard news, both cover sports stories and usually the hard news stations don't take the diplomatic approach an ESPN announcer will, especially Jay Bilas who don't want any harm to come to his beloved ACC. I like Bilas but he is all about protecting the integrity of the ACC. If, you read the ESPN articles, they pretty well lay this out in greater detail than the CNN reporter did. Plus, the individual on CNN is a sports guy, not a hard news person.

[ 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-09-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would bet that the only "facts" this sports guy has is what he has heard or read about. McCants says one thing and 15 other people say the opposite. Somebody is lying. Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending UNC here; I'm speaking against these news outlets. I just don't think news outlets should be siding one way or the other. They should just report the news and leave it at that. I don't like this guy getting on TV and saying Roy should be fired immediately. That's just his opinion.

From what I've read, the initial NCAA investigation stopped because nobody was talking. They couldn't get all the info they needed. To me, that says that all the facts aren't out in the open.

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-09-2014 06:05 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This has been an ongoing investigation that has been over three years in the making. The McCants story is not the only news on this. Their football team have already had scholorships taken away etc over the same thing being reported on the basketball team. It is well known in all sports circles that this occurred at UNC and ESPN have had many stories lately regarding this subject. Only Jay Bilas of ESPN is currently being supportive of UNC of all the articles and on air broadcasts that I have seen.

There are some reporters that are hard news reporters and then there are sports reporters, this man is a sports reporter who obviously has a great deal of credibility for this to be covered on CNN.

The McCants story is just an addition to the already piles of investigative data that has been reported over the past three years, his coming forward has just added more fuel to the fire. The professor has been given immunity from prosecution by those investigating this because he was paid over 12,000 dollars for a class he did not teach but many football players and basketball players got credit for. There is just too much smoke for there to be no fire on this subject.

[ 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com