TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Respect still a issue in SEC basketball

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Respect still a issue in SEC basketball
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-08-2014 12:19 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The league has not been very deep of late however I think it's a cycle more than anything else.

The SEC ranked eighth among leagues in NCAA men's tournament participants.

"I'm tired of this fallacy and myth that our league is no good," South Carolina coach Frank Martin said. "I'm tired of it, and I think it's disrespectful to the coaches in this league. We have guys in this league who have had success wherever they have been, and trying to say that our success is not very good because our league is not very good is disrespectful and not true.

"We have been a league in transition the past couple of years, and now I think it's starting to take shape."

Florida and Kentucky were the only SEC schools assured of being among the final 64 teams in NCAA play, which marked the first time that had occurred. Tennessee had to defeat Iowa to be among the last 64 remaining and then whipped Massachusetts and Mercer to advance to the Sweet 16.

That the three SEC participants in the NCAA tournament each won at least three games aided the league's image, yet there doesn't seem to be much carryover in terms of the preseason polls for 2014-15.

ESPN analyst Jeff Goodman recently released a top 50 that has Kentucky at No. 1 and Florida at No. 7 but no other league team in the top 40. Georgia, which returns four starters from a team that went 12-6 in SEC play but got bounced in the second round of the NIT, is ranked No. 43, one spot ahead of LSU.

Kentucky lost Julius Randle and James Young to the NBA draft after one season but returns twins Andrew and Aaron Harrison, Willie Cauley-Stein, Marcus Lee, Alex Poythress and Dakari Johnson. The Wildcats also have another stellar signing class featuring power forward Trey Lyles, center Karl Towns, shooting guard Devin Booker and point guard Tyler Ulis.

"For the first time, I've had players return who had the chance to put their names in the draft," Kentucky coach John Calipari said, "so we're in a unique situation where we have veterans. Granted, those veterans are mostly sophomores with two juniors, but I'm excited about it.

"The returning players and freshmen are getting along well, so it's all good."

Florida became the first team in SEC history to go 18-0 in league play this past season and won 30 consecutive games before losing to Connecticut in the national semifinals. The Gators had a veteran quartet of Patric Young, Scott Wilbekin, Casey Prather and Will Yeguete, but they will return Michael Frazier, Dorian Finney-Smith, Chris Walker and Kasey Hill.

The Gators also will be adding small forward Alex Murphy, a transfer from Duke, and power forward Jon Horford, a transfer from Michigan.

"We lost four really good players who meant a lot to our program the last several years and have had a lot of success," Florida's Billy Donovan said. "We have some other guys returning who will have to step up in some different roles than they were in this past season, but I do think it is a good group of guys who I think went through an experience last year that will help prepare them this year."

Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl is back in the league at Auburn, which has the SEC's longest NCAA tournament drought at 11 years. Pearl's return should add some pizazz that the conference has been lacking, which could result in added attention.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-08-2014 12:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It also should be noted that Georgia had the same SEC record we did at 12-6. UT wasn't far behind at 11-7 and Arkansas 10-8. The SEC should be more competitive no doubt about it but looking at last years record throwing Florida out of the equation it isn't as bad as many might think.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com