TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Metcalf rates UK's offense one of the best

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metcalf rates UK's offense one of the best
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-07-2014 11:57 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We certainly have the players to make our offense "the" best and if Cal can get them to play together no matter who is on the floor at any given time we will be the best offense in the country. This team will not even be close to double digit losses like we have had the last couple of years.

Many predicted the Kentucky national title game run before the 2013-14 season began, questioned that prediction throughout the bulk of the year and lauded it as the Wildcats improved each night in the final weeks of the season. It all came together for John Calipari's squad at the right time. Those young NBA prospects who couldn't get past Arkansas and South Carolina weeks before the tourney began ended the year as the national runner-up and likely No. 1 team in the 2014-15 preseason polls for the second consecutive season. Once the Big Dance began, Kentucky's fiery offense helped the Wildcats storm through the toughest gauntlet in the field. Kansas State, Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin all fell.

They scored 78 points against the Shockers. They bounced back from a 13-point deficit against their rival Cardinals. They hit big shots late against Michigan and Wisconsin.

And now, they're back with NCAA tourney stars Aaron Harrison and Andrew Harrison. Willie Cauley-Stein will be healthy. Alex Poythress will be a senior. Plus, they'll boast the nation's most powerful frontcourt (Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee and freshmen Trey Lyles and Karl Towns). The Wildcats will also add Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis, a pair of guards who will enhance Kentucky's backcourt.

These Wildcats will have more inside-outside balance and depth than last year's team. They'll spread the floor. And defenses will be perplexed by their collection of offensive weapons. It'll be a more fluid offense led by a confident Andrew Harrison, who runs this squad now as both a point guard and a leader.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-07-2014 06:16 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alex will only be a junior, not a senior and there will be no seniors on the roster unless they are walk ons.

[ 07-07-2014, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-07-2014 10:25 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe he meant he would be a senior as far as graduating after next season. He is a very intelligent student and will be done in 3 years.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-08-2014 07:23 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alex will in all probability graduate in three years from UK but he is still a Junior in terms of basketball eligibility. The link referenced also classifies him as a Junior, not a Senior.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-08-2014 08:55 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guard play was terrible to average, two years ago, when the team was caught without a top point guard. They still would have had a chance to make it to the sweet 16, had Noel not gotten injured.

Last season, the guard play was good, but not great until tourney time. With all the size and talent, I see most games being about who gets to sub in to get in the box score, because the games with be no contests.

This is a big year for Poythress. I believe he will be asked to defend the the 3 spot. He is the most explosive player on the team. I, personally, thought that he was a better shooter his freshman year. Would like to see him have confidence in his jumper, this season. He could be the key to Kentucky being the most dominant team that anyone has seen in a long time.

Regardless if Poythress displays a jumper or not, Kentucky should win the tourney and only lose anywhere from 0 to 3 games all year.

[ 07-08-2014, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-08-2014 09:11 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boom, That's a good analogy of the of last years team and to add my two cents I thought Poythress lost his confidence in his shooting and became "very" hesitant. He is a great young man but thought lost his confidence in himself, some players thrive on coachs that are hard and coach with authority and it was obvious Poy didn't. I think Cal figured that out and handled him differently as the season went on and it showed in his play. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Poy didn't have a very good season this year and become a team leader.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com