TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Staying for more than a year is not a failure

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Staying for more than a year is not a failure
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-19-2014 08:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the article and some recruits need more time than others and think we will see more staying in the future much like this year. It won't be because the players aren't talented enough either but sometimes they actually like the college atmosphere and want to get more education and enjoy college life like Poythress did last year and WCS has done this year.

From a players perspective, putting one's self in line to become a millionaire with one decision is something to be celebrated. No player should ever be criticized for doing what is in their economic self-interest.

For UK, I've wondered at various times these past five years whether having essentially a new team every year is the surest route to basketball success. It's hard to argue, however, with four Elite Eights, three Final Fours, two championship game appearances and an NCAA title over a five-year period.

Still, there has been one clearly lamentable facet of the "one-and-done" era in Kentucky basketball — the fact that players who stay at Kentucky beyond their first year are somehow stigmatized as not up to par. There's something perverse about a dynamic in which the people who are in your program the longest are diminished.

Even Calipari seems uncomfortable with that aspect of Kentucky's one-and-done culture.

"Why is (staying more than) one year a failure?" the UK coach asked Thursday morning in a news conference. "I'm even doing it in recruiting now. I'm going into homes and one of the things I've started saying is 'You are not a failure if you come back.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-19-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do think WCS really could have gone early as next years class is full of bigs and this class hardly has any especially of any consequence. I hope it works out for him but afraid it will cost him some big bucks for waiting.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-19-2014 05:54 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD, why do you think it will cost him? I see no reason why he couldn't be a top-ten pick after next year.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-19-2014 07:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul you are right, my point was he pretty much was a sure thing to be a lottery pick with such few centers this year and now he risks a chance of injury when there will be more big men to choose from next year.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com