TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Chapman on Randle and the NBA

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chapman on Randle and the NBA
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-18-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some team is going to take him just where is the question.

Love him or hate, former Kentucky Wildcats great Rex Chapman has plenty of experience in the NBA as both a player and an executive. A 13-year playing career was proceeded by a brief stint as the Director of Basketball Operations with the Phoenix Suns, and he’d eventually work as the Denver Nuggets Vice President of Player Personnel.

Needless to say, Chapman has plenty of experience scouting and evaluating prospects for the NBA Draft. He’s gathered evaluations from 15 different NBA scouts, GMs and other execs to see what they thought of this year’s crop of prospects.

Some of their breakdowns were similar to that of what the national media sees, but the way they view Julius Randle is very different. Most view Randle as a Top 5 pick, but the execs Rex spoke with said Randle could fall out of the Top 10.

I found it interesting however, that ONLY 3 of these 14 NBA-people say that they themselves would draft Randle in that 4-9 range. A majority of these guys like JR in the 10-14 range. What they’re saying about JR:

“While he’s a terrific rebounder, his defensive issues are frightening. Worst defensive big-man in the draft.”

“How many times can a guy catch the ball at the top of the key, drive into 3-defenders and give it to the other team?”

“I question his feel for the game and basketball IQ.”

“Will have to improve his face-up game (jump-shot), because in our league guys will just play behind, wait for him to jump, and then play volleyball when he releases it.”
Is it possible that Randle is actually waiting to declare for the draft because h’es not sure if he wants to? Is he actually being told he could fall out of the Top 10, and thinks a return to UK could lead to him being take much higher in 2015?

It’s possible, but not likely. Randle is probably waiting for something or someone before making his announcement, possibly at a ceremony or press conference with friends and family.

Link

[ 04-18-2014, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-18-2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beginning to kinda wonder about Rex. His tweet about Cal leaving, and now this? Seems to me that for some reason, Rex is holding a grudge about something.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-18-2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could agree with the falling out of the top 10. His biggest asset is he is very strong. But being strong doesn't always go far enough. His shot is not very good. He misses more layups than he makes. He is not a top shot blocker. He doesn't get very excited during the game. His facial expression when something doesn't go like he wants it to is like how could you call it like that. Outside of being rated in the top 5 coming out of high school and his strength and being able to get somewhere around 25 double doubles he doesn't have much else. I can see where someone would think he is the greatest because of the double doubles but that may be hard for him to do in the NBA.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-18-2014 04:23 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The question I want to know is who are these ten players that they would take before Randle? I'll be very happy if Randle stays another year in college, but I just don't see ten teams passing on Randle.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 04-18-2014 04:38 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO Chapman has lost all credibility with the bbn, I still cannot believe that he said that Cal was leaving the day before the championship game...even if it were true he should have kept that info to himself until after the game to make sure it wouldn't cause a distraction. Who knows, maybe that was the distraction that lost the game, not likely but who knows.
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 04-18-2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't trust Rex. 25 double doubles against a constant double and sometimes triple team. If Rex is to be believed then I think it is talk to drop him in the draft so that they might have a chance to get him. Anyone that doesn't pick him in the top five will look foolish later.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com