TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » South Florida hires Steve Masiello

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: South Florida hires Steve Masiello
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 03-25-2014 02:04 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After his Manhattan Jaspers made the tournament and had Louisville on the ropes, it was only a matter of time before Steve Masiello landed a bigger job. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman is now reporting that South Florida has hired Steve Masiello as their new head coach. He’ll replace Stan Heath.

Masiello is a polarizing figure in the BBN, but I think we were all cheering for him to upset the Cards on Thursday. In other Pitino protégé news, Billy Donovan just signed a contract extension at Florida that will keep him there until 2019.

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-25-2014 08:02 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First off, I like Steve Masiello. My comment is not about him but about some of the insane responses to teams making it to the NCAA Tourney. One of the hot topics today on the ESPN talk shows was the Dayton Coach getting an extension and large raise. Apparently, the current Dayton Coach has a worse record for his first two years than the previous Coach had in his last two years. Yet, Dayton beats Ohio State on a last second shot and then survives his nest round game when the other team misses a last second shot. So what does Dayton do, rewards him with an extension and salary increase. So, two wins in the NCAA Tourney is worth more that his "whole body of work." Strange.

As for Steve, he has averaged 13 losses a season over the last 3 seasons at Manhattan, and yet USF wants him as their new Coach. While 13 losses may be an upgrade for USF, that seems short-sighted to me.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-26-2014 12:42 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I for one do not think this is a upgrade for steve, but I look at it this way it may well help us to keep coach antiqua a little bit longer.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 03-26-2014 02:44 AM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
billy clyde beat louisville at rupp and we gave him the keys to the building---a win in the ncaa does not make a coach---recruiting-running a clean program--winning a high percentage of game--final fours-and national championships while making your players better is what makes a coach

[ 03-26-2014, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: country cat ]

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1022 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com