TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Successful season?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Successful season?
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-24-2014 09:38 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Curious to what you folks think as to what it would now take to make this a successful season?
Maybe there are some who would already consider this season a success by making it to the sweet 16.

I know our expectations were high before the start of the season and many may not be satisfied with any thing less than a National Championship.
For me, beating Louisville for a second time and advancing to the elite 8 will make this year a success. Lose to the Cards and I'm on the fence.

[ 03-24-2014, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 03-24-2014 09:48 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After that win, I don't think we can consider this a bad season, but we have had good seasons that I have not felt satisfied.

To be a successful season, we need to beat Louisville. If we don't, then we are the 2012 Hoosiers.

If we do, then we can say, "The only way you can win a championship is if we are out of the picture."

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-24-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree with HC. Making the 16 was not expected after some of the losses we suffered. But to make it especially good we need to take care of L'ville again. After that it all depends on where your thoughts are. Are you just happy this team was able to go further than you expected after all the trouble it has had during the regular season or........are your thoughts revived of the expectations you had prior to the start of the season? I guess I am finally relieved that they have now been able to play several games at the level I thought they would. But I hope now that they have found out what they can really do that they can continue for another weekend and show the media and coaches who vote in the polls that they don't really know much about basketball afterall. [Razz]
Posts: 14130 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-24-2014 10:01 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Winning it all is a successful season, other wise march on to next year, and try again.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-24-2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Winning it all is a successful season, other wise march on to next year, and try again.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 03-24-2014 10:55 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Disallowing all the preseason hype and watching us fall deeper into a funk as the season progressed, for me maybe not a totally "successful season" but we have definitely redeemed ourselves.....to be on CBS for their prime time game, against the undefeated WSU, with all the Kentucky haters out in force, with most all the so-called experts picking us to lose, with the new hype that this game was the defining game between the good (experienced seniors) vs the evil (one and dones), for most everyone but the BBN pulling for WSU. Consider for a moment if we had lost this game......consider what the press would have said about us. They would have had a field day. To me this was a huge win. Love the joy I saw in the eyes of the kids after the win. Win and advance.

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-24-2014 11:03 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My warped way of thinking is that we defeated the number one seed in our region and we are now the number one seed!. I want a final four and then will go from there! If we were to lose to L-ville (and we will NOT) then it would be a bad lost to a disappointing season imo.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-24-2014 11:44 AM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You hit the nail on the head Jersey Cat...was great to see those kids have fun, and see the smiles on their faces. Getting to the final 8 would be sweet, beating Louisville will be tough but I think they can do it! GO CATS!!!!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-24-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barkley, Kenny the jet, And Kellogg all picked Wichitah, and not one said a thang about it after we beat Wichitah. I hope its Ky against florida, for championship, don't think they beat us 4 times. Like cal said by all these guys picking us number 1 at begging of season , these so called experts was setting us up for failure.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-24-2014 12:06 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any loss from here on out will be against a very respectable opponent and shouldn't be considered an upset. However, we all know what's gonna happen after our next loss. [Wink]

Hopefully, though, our next loss won't be until next year!

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 03-24-2014 12:32 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Friday's game will come down to how it is officiated. If they call the game the awy it is supposed to be called, especially with the new rules of this year, we win. If they let losserville hack, mug and assault players the way they have let them the first two games our chances decrease significantly.

[ 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: bigbluerev ]

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

Posts: 1806 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-24-2014 04:17 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before the season started I predicted 7 losses and a sweet 16 appearance. I guess it can be considered a success now, but overall it has been a disappointing season. But the ending is what is remembered. If we keep going it could be a great season. To beat Louisville we are going to have to move the ball better on offense. I don't think we can rely on just outtalenting them. We beat Wichita because we were just superior talent wise. They played smarter, and executed better than we did. We will also have to attack their pressure. I don't think we should just break the press to break it, which we have done against Florida. We need to attack their press and make them pay for pressing us. We have the team to do it, just have to make good decisions. I hope Cal has them going against 7 guys on a press in practice this week.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-24-2014 04:53 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe it's all in how one see's it.

I think this has been a great season. We got to watch a group of high school players learn and grow together. Sure they took some lumps, but it appears to me that this group has evolved into a solid, special team. Five straight games now that they've played darn good basketball. Hopefully there's four more games left.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-24-2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
We beat Wichita because we were just superior talent wise.

You must have watched a different game than I watched then because Wichita State is very talented. They have 2 sure fire NBA players on their roster: Early and Baker. Cotton and Van Fleet are elite level college players.

[ 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-24-2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
I believe it's all in how one see's it.

I think this has been a great season. We got to watch a group of high school players learn and grow together. Sure they took some lumps, but it appears to me that this group has evolved into a solid, special team. Five straight games now that they've played darn good basketball. Hopefully there's four more games left.

I think it has been a very good season as well. Hard for me to say "great" since they didn't win the SEC regular season or SEC Tournament Title. Obviously if they win title #9 that changes the answer.

[ 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-24-2014 08:58 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sweet 16? It wasn't good enough to keep Tubby employed here... Just sayin.......

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-24-2014 09:20 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope we can continue playing like we have the past 5 games. However, after Sunday I am now back hanging on the wagon again, but I haven't climbed on board......yet. They have peaked before during the season only to dive again. I'm ready to climb back on if they can get past Louisville. Several tough teams have been eliminated and the path is a little easier because of that. I just hope they are for real now and can work hard enough to work their way into the final 4.
Posts: 14130 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-24-2014 09:21 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember two things: Tubby left KY, he was never EVER FIRED! HE went to Minnesota who hasn't sniffed a deep final four run since Clem Haskins coached there 17 years ago! He was fired from Minnesota and he now coaches at Texas Tech! A coaching graveyard!

Don't get me wrong, I still to this day think Tubby was a good coach. He won KY a title for us, or we won one for him. Either way both of us should be grateful. My point is I'm not sure Tubby has had the same success since he left KY!

[ 03-24-2014, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123969 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-25-2014 07:53 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Based on pre-season expectations, anything less than a Final Four would be a disappointment to me. It doesn't make any difference to me whether it is the players fault or the Coaches fault, the fact is, this team did not decide to get serious until the SEC Tournament. That is a disappointment, and thus anything less than a Final Four is a disappointment.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-26-2014 06:55 AM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
m Hamilton, I never said Tubby was fired, Tubby was not meeting the Final Four and/or Elite 8 as an annual right of passage expectations of the BBN.... ... Tubby was not excited about recruiting, not sure why, but after the 7' Stewart kid collapsed and died (Tubby's star recruit for 2000 season), I think he lost interest.. I remember Tubby even had his parents down and presented them with a Jersey on what would have been HIS Senior Night at Rupp.. There was also that undercurrent of folks who didn't want him from the beginning and winning it all in 1998 gave him a grace period... Yes Tubby left for Minnesota, and although no one talks about it publicly, no one you can convince me that the administration and Tubby agreed it was time to go, and a public firing would have been an incredible recruiting tool for our rivals, Tipton, ESPN, SI and everyone else to burn our recruits with. Tubby was a Class Act while he was here, AND as he was leaving. I was not happy with 10 loss seasons either, he wasn't getting it done in March and yes I agree it was time to go....

bayer, I agree completely, based on the preseason expectations, Final Four is successful, anything less would be Underachievement.

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2014 07:51 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Few coachs have not had that much success after leaving Kentucky unless they go to a big time basketball program like Pitino has done with the Cardinals. I would hardly call the Minnesota job or Texas Tech big time programs. In fact Knight and his son coached the Red Raiders and didn't do that much.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 03-26-2014 06:26 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got caught up in the 40-0 hype prior to the season beginning and felt a FF was a given. After seeing this team struggle to gel as a team, I really thought we'd flame out in both the SEC and NCAA tournaments. Now that they are playing like I had hoped they would from the start, I guess I'm expecting a FF again. Crazy ain't it'? Schizophrenic fan I suppose. Lol

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-26-2014 06:43 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EnterpriseCat:
I got caught up in the 40-0 hype prior to the season beginning and felt a FF was a given. After seeing this team struggle to gel as a team, I really thought we'd flame out in both the SEC and NCAA tournaments. Now that they are playing like I had hoped they would from the start, I guess I'm expecting a FF again. Crazy ain't it'? Schizophrenic fan I suppose. Lol

I feel the same way.

[Smile]

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-26-2014 07:13 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bayer glad to see that you agree with my post on this thread - has to be a first! [Big Grin]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-26-2014 07:35 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Many UK fans were proclaiming that without a strong showing in the SEC tourney, we'd likely end up in the NIT again this year. I never really believed that, figured we were a lock to make the dance. I've thought since about a month ago, though, this team just doesn't play well enough together to make a whole lot of noise at tourney time. I thought a sweet 16 appearance would be a decent finish for them. I still do. I'm glad they at least made a respectable showing, and were able to give a talented Wichita St team their first loss.

Now granted, since the committee saw it fitting to place us in the bracket with Lville, I'd sure like to beat those guys. If puke had survived, I'd say we'd need to make the final 4.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-26-2014 08:17 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes the regular season was disappointing on two fronts. Number 1 you never lose at home. YEs they lost to a REALLY GOOD Florida team. But they should never give up home court advantage to a team of lesser talent than themselves, Secondly they should've never lost to USC, or Arkansas!
I'm not one to talk moral victories but on the flip side we played against 5 teams that are still in the Sweet 16. 3 during the non-conference schedule and 2 in conference! Most of our losses (save the Florida game) our Cats have been the game until the end with a chance to win a few of those. Never do I see us want to lose 10 games but on the flip side IF my Cats can prove to me they can play with the best teams in the country week in and week out, that to me is Satisfaction!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2014 09:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we can beat Louisville we have a shot to make it to the finals and that would be a amazing come back from where we were just a few weeks ago.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-27-2014 06:23 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're throwing around some big IF's there CMD!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-27-2014 09:36 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that's better than being a "doubting Thomas". [Wink]

--------------------

Soup_Bean
Recruit
Member # 12586

posted 03-27-2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Soup_Bean   Email Soup_Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If we can beat Louisville we have a shot to make it to the finals and that would be a amazing come back from where we were just a few weeks ago.
Exactly! Just a few weeks ago people were questioning (with good reason) Cal's coaching ability, recruiting strategy, behavior, the team's heart, talent, etc. Ky has made the biggest turnaround the last two weeks than any team in the country. The question is can they continue to come together and play well. At this point in the tourney if you have an off day you are probably going to lose...no matter the team.
To me, a FF would be considered successful but not necessarily satisfying.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com