TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » This season's expectations

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This season's expectations
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 09-18-2013 10:45 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope no one else talks about a perfect season, or like a championship is in the bag. Yes this years class is amazing, but they are freshmen. Look at last years results. Yes we have a highly rated pg, but he is a freshmen. Do I think we could win a national championship? Yes. Do i think we could go out in the first or second round? That is a definite possibility. I just hope everyone will have realistic expectations and just enjoy seeing the season play out. Each season will be a gueessing game as long as we have this many freshmen coming in each year. The expectations were high last year. At this time last year people were talking about a final four run and how good our class was, but it never happened. The 2012 team was a very unique team. You had high level talent that all bought into the team first, and it started with your 2 best players (MKG and Davis). MKG was the difference. He was a leader like no senior I have seen before, the kid was the key to that whole championship. We also had key uppercalssman, and returners. We do have a few returners, and hopefully they will lead. We will have to have leadership like that if we are to win another championship with this many freshmen. I am so excited to get the season going, and to see the Cats play; but I personally am just expecting to see a team that plays hard every possession, plays as a unit, and plays with passion and fire. I will not be surprised if we lose 7-8 games this season, and I will not be dissapointed if they lose while playing their butts off. You just never know with Freshmen. I will be dissapointed if they do not play hard, don't have passion, and they don't play as a unit. I am looking forward to a great season, but I am going to enjoy it game by game, and then look at the overall result. I sure hope we are cutting down the nets in March, and I believe we can, but I am not going to look too far ahead. Let's just enjoy the ride as we go and hopefully we see more ups than downs, and it ends with number 9.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 09-18-2013 10:54 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My expectations are the same every year - I expect to have fun watching UK play ball. That's as far as I go, although I like to see the team win every game. And if they win it all, i'll be happier than a camel on Wednesday. Anything other than that and I'm always a little depressed to see the season end. Not because of wins or losses or anything like that. Just becuase of the 6-7 month wait until the next season.
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-18-2013 11:49 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman quote - "I will not be surprised if we lose 7-8 games this season, and I will not be dissapointed if they lose while playing their butts off. You just never know with Freshmen."

I will be both surprised and disappointed if we lose 7-8 games while playing their butts off. If this class is any where near as good as advertised, this should not happen.
For this to transpire, we would have to lose 3 games in our non-conference schedule, 4 in the SEC and one tournament loss or something along those lines. I personally don't know a UK fan that would be happy with those numbers unless the lone loss in the tournament came in the final four. Of course I was thinking along the same lines this time last year. My opinion on this along with 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I wish I had your attitude Paulcat, I get depressed after every UK loss. You would think after 67 years I would grow up.

Posts: 5405 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-18-2013 01:55 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am with you Handycat, 7 losses may occur but if it does, most Cat fans will be very disappointed, especially with all the hype about this group going undefeated etc. I sure hope we don't get a repeat of last season, if we do, I would think Coach would have to rethink his one and done strategy. I know I am expecting another 30 win season and anything less than that will be very disappointing to me.

[ 09-18-2013, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 09-18-2013 02:15 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think over the last five years I've just come to realize that there are very few things worth getting upset about in life. Sports is not one of them. And I live for UK basketball. I'll miss my brothers wedding before I miss a televised UK game. Even in losses, I try to find something in the game to pick my spirits up.

The joy of just watching UK basketball is worth more to me than the misery of them losing.

[Smile]

[ 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 09-18-2013 04:21 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we have 7 losses, I will be disappointed (didn't use the best word) because I hate to see us lose. I just mean if we play as hard as we can and still lose, I can handle that. I have just begun to temper my expectations with all of these freshmen. In 2012 I thought we would go far because of our returners. I am just like a lot of you where I take losses hard, but I am not going to come out with undefeated dreams and a lock for the final. I do expect to have a great season, and a good showing in the tournament. It's just way too early to really know what this team will do. It hopefully will be fun to watch them grow and perform. Can't wait for October 18.
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 09-18-2013 06:03 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UKMAN, is your real name Grinch?
Growing up in eastern Kentucky I was one of seven children. Christmas usually meant getting something we all would share and maybe a new sweater. I would still hope for that new bike to be beside the tree (it never was) but the joy of sharing Christmas day with the people I loved far outweighed any disappointment I might feel.
UK basketball is almost the same for me. I always hope to win it all, but am not disappointed because I share my love of UK basketball with so many others. And when we do win...aahh what joy!
I know what you were saying, but to reach that exhilaration of winning you have to weather the lows of losing. It makes the winning that much sweeter!
And by the way, just kidding about the Grinch remark, it just tied in with the Christmas analogy.
Cat's will rule this year! Undefeated NCAA Champions! There I said it.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 09-18-2013 07:48 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope your right ol blue. And no offense with the grinch remark. I am not being pessimistic, just trying to be fair to these young kids. i am like every other fan where i expect for us to be in contention. Cant wait for the season to get started. I am ready for some basketball. It has been way too long.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 09-18-2013 09:23 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with Paul. I enjoy every minute of every game. SOme nights when the games are close you's swear I was marching the sidelines along with the coach. Sweating like a horse and loving every minute of it. SOmetimes we lose a tough close game. (UL last year) Sometimes we win a tough close game. (UNC two years ago) Either way they have the blue and white on their backs and I flollow them through thick and thin!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cat Fan In The Mill
Player
Member # 2756

posted 09-19-2013 08:21 AM      Profile for Cat Fan In The Mill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think expectations for this year team are no different than the expectations for every team in the history of UK basketball and that is to win a National Title.

UK fans are rabid, loyal and most of all hungry and we are hungry for another title this season.

--------------------
"On, On, U of K....We are right for the fight today......"

Posts: 1341 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 09-19-2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Going undefeated would be a real kick in the pants to IU. It's the only thing they have left. Would make me smile.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 09-20-2013 09:45 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
I think over the last five years I've just come to realize that there are very few things worth getting upset about in life. Sports is not one of them. And I live for UK basketball. I'll miss my brothers wedding before I miss a televised UK game. Even in losses, I try to find something in the game to pick my spirits up.

The joy of just watching UK basketball is worth more to me than the misery of them losing.

[Smile]

Very well said. I'm in the same boat, other than I no longer plan my life around UK basketball like I did prior to kids. My kids and family always trump the Big Blue. Just hit the DVR record button and don't come in contact with anything to show me the score. I now make sure not to wear UK shirts out when the game is going one because EVERYONE wants to seem to give you an update. LOL.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com