TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Here's a trivia question for you.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's a trivia question for you.
Wildcat Bill
Player
Member # 615

posted 04-17-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Wildcat Bill     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who was Cawood Ledford's color and statistics man in the 60s, before Ralph Hacker got the job? If you listened to the radio broadcasts of the UK basketball games in the 60s, you'll remember this.
Posts: 1070 | From: Evansville, IN, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-17-2009 07:58 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was born in 1967. I don't think I'll remember who it was!!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 08:24 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe it was Jack ___________ from WHAS, but I can't think of his last name.

[ 04-17-2009, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 04-17-2009 08:29 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know Jock Sutherland worked some UK games. Is that the answer?

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-17-2009 08:36 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
claude sullivan

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 08:50 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Claude Sullivan was the play by play announcer on the competing Standard Oil Network from its flagship station WVLK in Lexington, while Cawood was the play by play announcer on WHAS out of Louisviloe. When Claude Sullivan died of throat cancer in 1967 Cawood became the play by play announcer for the new UK Network, but Cawood and Claude never participated in the same broadcasts.

--------------------

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bgbull14
Player
Member # 2569

posted 04-17-2009 08:50 PM      Profile for bgbull14        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Claude Sullivan is correct............
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was it Jack Cook?

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 09:14 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Claude Sullivan is correct............
Claude Sullivan did not serve as color analyst for Cawood Ledford. See my post above. They were on competing networks until Sullivan's death in 1967. After that Cawood became the voice of the new UK Radio Network.

[ 04-17-2009, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-17-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the history books said Sullivan was Play-by-play until Cawood took over!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 09:29 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mark, I'll try to find the link about that and post it, but as I said above, they were on competing networks until Calude died during the 1966-67 basketball season. After that the AD finally set up the first UK Radio Network with Cawood as the sole play by play announced.

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here you go:

quote:
One of the best ever was Claude Sullivan, who was only 42 when he died of throat cancer in 1967. At the time of his death, Sullivan was the play-by-play man for both the Cincinnati Reds and the Kentucky Wildcats’ football and mens’ basketball teams. To be fair, he wasn’t the sole "voice of the Wildcats." He shared that distinction with Cawood Ledford, his friendly rival who did the UK games for 50,000-watt giant WHAS in Louisville.

Sullivan did the Wildcat games for the Standard Oil network, which had WVLK of Lexington as its flagship station. Beginning in the late 1940s, UK basketball was so popular that four or five stations or networks originated live play-by-play broadcasts. But Claude and Cawood both were so good, so big-league in every respect, that eventually there was only the two of them.

Bernie Shively, who then was UK’s athletics director, wanted to establish a single UK network. However, he drug his heels because he refused to pick between Sullivan and Ledford. When Sullivan died, the UK network was born, with Ledford as its sole voice and WHAS as
the anchor station. By the time he retired after the 1992 season, Ledford had become an icon throughout Kentucky.

Billy Reed on Claude Sullivan

[ 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-17-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually Norm, I think that information is even found in Cawoods book,"Hello Everybody This is Cawood Ledford".

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-17-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mean, BAYER!! It is getting late isn't it?

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 09:38 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is at that, and our daughter has a tennis match at 8:00 tomorrow morning. Besides, Norm and I look a great deal alike on here. [Big Grin]

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-17-2009 09:47 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know Jock Sutherland worked some UK games. Is that the answer?

prophet-Jock had a talk show on Lexington Radio when Coach Hall was at UK. He also wanted to be an Assistant Coach at UK, but Coach Hall would not hire him. Later he was an Assistant at Alabama under C M Newton.

On his radio program he became very critical of UK basketball, the show was terminated and he always blamed it on Coach Hall. I don't think he ever worked as a color analyst on the UK Network. Of course, he later was a color analyst for UofL.

[ 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 04-17-2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jack Cook

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wildcat Bill
Player
Member # 615

posted 04-17-2009 11:35 PM      Profile for Wildcat Bill     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those of you that said Jack Cook were correct, although I think it was spelled Jack Koch, but pronounced Jack "Cook". I believe that he was also an employee of WHAS, as was Cawood when he first became the UK play-by-play man. I remember that Cawood would turn over the halftime to him, so that Cawood could take a break. Jack would go over the halftime stats and other things.
Posts: 1070 | From: Evansville, IN, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
catfan1
Player
Member # 2923

posted 04-18-2009 12:59 AM      Profile for catfan1   Email catfan1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Man,,,I thought I was old,,,I guess Im just a young pup in here at 40,,,,lol.
Posts: 340 | From: beaver dam kentucky | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 04-18-2009 05:44 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wildcat Bill-I think you're right about the spelling. And, it was commonplace in those days for the play by play to turn the halftime over to the color man. Usually, the play by play went to have a smoke since they would not allow smoking in gyms or arenas.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com