TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Coury

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coury
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 07-17-2008 11:31 AM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wkyt said Gillispie noted that Mark Coury had
been given his release to transfer to another
school.

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-17-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, There's ONE starter gone! [Wink]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-17-2008 06:02 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not blame Mark Coury one bit for leaving the program. I think he was made a scape goat by our coach. His self esteem had to be destroyed by the way he started games, played the first two or three minutes never to enter the game again most of the time. He should never have been starting in the first place and he was obviously intelligent enough to know that.
I wish him well, he is obviously a very fine young man and a great student athlete.

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-17-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He was a walkon who got a free semester when we were short on players. I think he knew what his role was and enjoyed the time he got as a starter. He done as much as we could have expected of him and deserves to be on a team he can start for as a Junior. If that doesn't work out for him Billy said he culd return to UK.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 07-17-2008 09:19 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This raises a question in my mind--bearing in mind I am talking about the UK of the past and future. After you have walked-on and started at UK, how do you go anywhere else and play basketball? And when you do, how can you ever get the rush you must have had coming onto the floor at Rupp Arena with the fight song playing and the crowd roaring?

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-17-2008 09:33 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say it will be a vastly different situation for him. I don't know where he is looking but I was wondering if he transfers to a Div I school does hehave to sit out as a walk on here? If so I would imagine he would go to a lower school so he wouldn't have to sit out.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
steve243
Player
Member # 569

posted 07-17-2008 10:10 PM      Profile for steve243   Email steve243   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
coury got to pull the brass ring for one season at UK. he was a starter on the best college bball team in the nation. he warmed up and played five to ten minutes in front of 24,000 plus people at rupp arena. he had a couple of very credible games with several stinkers.

i, too, think he is a smart young man. he had to know it was a down year and if this was '96, '97 or '98, he may have been just a manager. but such is a crazy thing called opportunity. it wasn't his fault our ranks were so thin.

how many of us would not relish those 2 to 3 minutes we would start supposedly knowing we shouldn't be.

my thanks mark. your next journey may not be as prime time but i'm sure you'll take advantage of those opportunities in the same class you demostrated here.

Posts: 1504 | From: lexington ky | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 07-19-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coury was a scholly player his frosh year. Tubby revoked his scholly just before he sneaked out of town. Once your scholly is taken away it cannot be reinstated by that institution. Therefore he is seeking a scholly elsewhere, but can be a walk on here if unsuccessful.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 07-19-2008 12:58 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC:
quote:
I think he was made a scape goat by our coach.
?????????????????????????

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
steve243
Player
Member # 569

posted 07-19-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for steve243   Email steve243   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
SCWC:
quote:
I think he was made a scape goat by our coach.
?????????????????????????
mm
do you really have a question? the big blue nation is still as divided as it was two years ago. there are still those who want this coach to fail because others were happy when the former coach left. of his own accord if i remember correctly.

some were happy with the status quo while some thought we were in a downward spiral of lackluster performances and pitiful recruiting. it is something that may take a long time to heal.

Posts: 1504 | From: lexington ky | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 07-19-2008 05:09 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Steve 243:
quote:
mm
do you really have a question? the big blue nation is still as divided as it was two years ago. there are still those who want this coach to fail because others were happy when the former coach left. of his own accord if i remember correctly.

some were happy with the status quo while some thought we were in a downward spiral of lackluster performances and pitiful recruiting. it is something that may take a long time to heal.

I was wondering specifically how Coury was made a scape goat.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-19-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never could figure out why BCG ever started the young man? I am glad he's leaving, simply because the coach won't be able to start him anymore. It wasn't very fun watching a once mighty program being out rebounded and pushed around the court, last season.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 07-19-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Blue:
Coury was a scholly player his frosh year. Tubby revoked his scholly just before he sneaked out of town. Once your scholly is taken away it cannot be reinstated by that institution. Therefore he is seeking a scholly elsewhere, but can be a walk on here if unsuccessful.

Interesting statement and I wasn't sure it was accurate. Proved hard to find facts, this is most definitive thing I found (from Coach's radio show):

quote:
"As for Mark Coury NOT being on scholarship, the last staff had a agreement with Mark on the scholarship last spring and once he came off he can't return to a scholarship per NCAA rules. Coach tried to get Mark a scholarship this season, but couldn't, because of the rule. Coach added that they'll do everything they can to help Mark and other players with getting their education."

Doesn't say absolutely that Smith regime pulled scholarship but intimates it.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 07-20-2008 01:01 AM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Coury was the poster child for what Gillispie expected out of his players and thus he was awarded the starting position. It is difficult to know if his minutes at the very beginning of any game had a real effect on the outcome or not but I find it difficult to think the experience of being at Kentucky for 2 seasons was anything other than a positive one for Mark. He was a good kid and a great student and his effort on the court was unsurpassed by any player on the past couple of rosters. He should excell in anything he attempts and I wish him nothing but good fortune in his future. Honestly, I will miss him from the team in the coming seasons. While you never could count on the results from Marks efforts those efforts were consistantly his very best, and you can't fault that.

The common story is that Coury was originaly a walk on as a freshman. UK had an open scholarship that year and through hard work it was decided that Coury had earned it, with the provision that it was only for the one year and that a recruit would be offered it the next season.

If you CLICK HERE UKATHLETICS.com offers that he was a walk on for the 2006-07 season and mentions nothing about a scholarship.

I don't know exactly how the process of giving the scholarships is conducted but I do know that they are only for a single year, and that each scholarship must be awarded each year even if given to a player who had one the previous year. My guess would be that future scholarships aren't offered until the current one expires at the end of the current academic year (the obvious being that the student would have to maintain grades that would qualify him/her for the next scholarship period), thus given the time frame during which Tubby left and Gillispie arrived I would guess that it would have been up to Gillispie to either offer him for his sophmore year or give it to another player, be it a new recruit or another current walk on player.

Posts: 7201 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com