TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Best Game Ever? Who are your top 3

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Game Ever? Who are your top 3
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-20-2007 01:41 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously this has to arguably be one of the best.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/best_game/06/11/wolff.best/index.html

I would list in no particular order, the UNC vs Georgetown 82 /UNC vs Kansas 1957

Maryland vs NC State (ACC tourney)1974

Maybe in that mix, NCST vs UCLA 1974

I am listing these games because I remember them best in more detail. I chose these games because of what was on the line at the time and the games were close from tip to close!

Certainly there are games from which there were amazing comebacks, I.E. UNC vs FSU down 23 with approx 9 minutes left and many other schools like UK and Duke in the ncaas with Duke leading most of the game and losing its lead in the closing stages to lose to UK.

But I am looking at games I can remember from the opening tip to the close of the game that consisted of one big play after another by both teams. Anyway, there are numerous games that would just as easily fit in this category, but would be interested to get other opinions to remember the other great games.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-20-2007 02:11 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From a UK standpoint there is only one game that fits the #1 category and that is the comeback from 30+ points against LSU.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
mr_ukkid
Player
Member # 2304

posted 07-20-2007 03:34 PM      Profile for mr_ukkid   Email mr_ukkid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My top 3 in college basketball and I am still classified as a youngin....so my games are pretty recent. However, my top three in college basketball that I personally saw would have to be:

1) 30 pt comeback UK vs. LSU

2) Unfortunately the '92 UK vs. Duke game don't like the outcome, but that was one heck of a game

3) IT was a tie between, 1985 Championship Game Villanova vs. Georgetown. I was personally at that game in Rupp Arena. Villanova was the Cinderella team and had no shot at beating Georgetown. What a great great game and 1987 Championship Game between Indiana last second shot by Keith Smart to beat Syracuse in New Orleans. I was personally at that game too and had a good friend on that Indiana squad by the name of Steve Eyl.

--------------------
"The point of coaching is to win Championships" --- John Calapari
mrukkid@gmail.com

Posts: 2265 | From: Wildcat in Buckeye Country! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-20-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr_UKkidd,

Forgot that one, it was a great game. What was that kids name? BJ Armstrong. Thats it. And sadly enough, did he not have a cocaine problem shortly after the ncaa? May have that wrong, but seemed he befell some kind of problem after the championship.

uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 07-20-2007 03:57 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1-UK/Duke '92
2-UK comeback against Duke in '98
3-UK comeback against Utah in '98
4-UK comeback against LSU

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 07-20-2007 04:07 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK 106 Vanderbilt 44 2003

I wish they were all that great!

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jholder
Player
Member # 1020

posted 07-20-2007 04:30 PM      Profile for jholder   Email jholder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1 UK-Duke in '92

2 UK-Duke in '98

3 UK-Arkansas in the SEC tournament championship game that went into triple overtime with UK winning on Epps free throws.

--------------------
CarlisleCatFan

Posts: 515 | From: Bardwell, Ky. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-20-2007 05:58 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For old time Kentucky fans, obviously March 22, 1975 when Kentucky beat IU 92-90 to end an undefeated season for the Hoosiers after having been humiliated by IU earlier that season by a score of 98-74 on December 7th (Robey, Phillips, Givens and Lee's freshmen years at UK). That was one of the best played games from start to finish I have ever seen in my many years of watching UK and college basketball in general. I guess it makes it very special if it involves your team. MY second choice is the UK Comeback over Duke in 98 and it is very hard for me to distinguish between those two games. To me, no ACC game ever compared to some of the UK rivalry games, but I am a UK fan, not an ACC fan like the people at ESPN, Sports Illustrated etc who determine such things.

[ 07-20-2007, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wildtut
Player
Member # 2225

posted 07-20-2007 08:32 PM      Profile for Wildtut   Email Wildtut   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
scwc i still have a newspaper of that win i have it in plastic so it will keep on the frt page its says the kittens finaly grows up remember that game real well.

--------------------
I was a young wildcat when i was born i be and old wildcat when i die

Posts: 1942 | From: Rock wood Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-20-2007 09:08 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another one I forgot I attended in Rupp. It was a tournament game and I believe the last time alan Houston played against UK. It was a route and Houston couln't find the basket all night. don't remember the score but it was a romp.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 07-21-2007 12:20 AM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have so MANY GREAT memories of Kentucky basketball. Picking only three just does not do the topic any justice.

UK 92-90 over IU tops the list to go to the Final Four in 75', Has that really been 32-years ago?.

The great comeback at home against Kansas with Dwight "the blur" Anderson stealing the ball and
Kyle Macy winning it at the end was great.

The GREAT comeback against Mississippi State in the LAST GAME UK played in the Colesium stands out
with UK winning in overtime.

Kentucky blowing North Carolina out in Freedom Hall in 1974 after trailing midway in the first half by sixteen points.

The COMPLETE DEMOLISISHING of ul at Freedom Hall
when Rex Chapman was a freshman. I can still see him making all the threes from downtown. Some had to be from thirty feet. Crum could only stand and watch as Kentucky OWNED them by 85-51!.

That Loss sit the Louisville program back by ten years easily!.

The Mardi Gras Miracle has been mentioned.

The 1963 comeback against Duke in the Sugar Bowl
as Terry Mobley hit the game winner with three seconds left.

Number 1 Kentucky beating Number 2 Duke in the 1966 Final Four, GREAT GAME!. Duke had Two All-Americans, Bob Verga and Jack Marin, and a center named Lewis that wasn't bad either.

Kyle Macy beating Magic Johnson and Michigan State in the 1978 Mideast Final game. Robey sat
pick after pick and Macy did the rest.

The comeback in 78' vs Florida State, down by ten points at the half coach Hall benched three starters only to see the wildcats come storming back to win.

UK killing Florida State in the 1993 East region finals.

UK stopping Tim Duncan FLAT vs Wake Forest in the NCAA midwest final to go to the 1996 Final Four.

Kentucky STOPPING Alan Houston in the SEC tournament his LAST game at Tennessee by 101-40
in 1993. All-American Houston went scoreless in
his LAST game.

The unforgetables beating Shaq-led LSU by 100-95,
when we had no business doing that BUT we did!.

The Runts beating Cazzie Russell and Oliver Darden in the 1966 Ncaa to make the Final Four.

Great memories, nothing but GREAT memories!!!!!

I can't wait for the NEW GREAT MEMORIES to begin under our new GREAT coach, Billy G!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-weeks and six days til the MADNESS BEGINS!!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

[ 07-21-2007, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Bluecat ]

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-21-2007 03:25 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bluecat, your memory is a lot sharper than mine, you named a bunch of great UK games that has gotten lost in my memory bank.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max Beasley
Player
Member # 1320

posted 07-21-2007 06:08 AM      Profile for Max Beasley     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks bluecat, that was a fun remembrance. I think my 3 would be the comeback versus LSU...Dale Brown had no timeouts and couldn,t stop the bleedin. The loss to Duke by the unforgetables, and the win over IU..even with a hurt Scott May IU was "The Monster" that year and that was there only loss in a 2 year period. Mike Flynn, a former Ind. Mr. Ball came back to bite the guys in red. Also will always remember the unforgetables taking out Oneal, Roberts, Jackson and Co. from LSU....showed what heart could do.
Posts: 3089 | From: somerset, kentucky | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-21-2007 02:43 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the blowouts as well, but what I was looking for is what would be considered the great games that were a battle from tip to stern.

One big play after another, the games where the leads were never really established, the back and forth through out. Those were the type of games I was looking for. I know there have been many but over the years have forgotten some of those games.

As for comebacks, I still enjoy the 8 pts down with 17seconds (UNC vs DUKE 1974) no three point shot. Or any number of the UNC vs Duke wars.

But the games I am refering to are the WARS, like the 92 Duke vs UK or the 82 UNC vs Georgetown title game. Where the leads never really got to double digits, or at least not for long.

[ 07-21-2007, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: UNC-HEELS ]

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 07-23-2007 08:38 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Best 3 games ??????????????????

#1 98 UK-Duke
#2 92 UK-Duke(Laettner stomp and we got screwed)
#3 1973 my 9th grade year, Spin the Bottle with Vicke C, it had all the elements of the previous two; after a very dissapointing initial performance there was a great comeback and well, uh, hmmm, lets just say she didn't stomp on my chest!
[Wink]

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-24-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FC,

LOL dude! Been there. But after a while we just threw the bottle away!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-24-2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UNC-HEELS:
Certainly there are games from which there were amazing comebacks, I.E. UNC vs FSU down 23 with approx 9 minutes left and many other schools like UK and Duke in the ncaas with Duke leading most of the game and losing its lead in the closing stages to lose to UK.

But I am looking at games I can remember from the opening tip to the close of the game that consisted of one big play after another by both teams.

Duke didn't lead that game from the opening tip by a large margin. That was a game of huge runs by both teams were the lead got to double digits on both sides and the other team would come back. UK just had the last spurt. Duke's 17 point lead lasted a whopping 2:00 minutes of playing time after Wayne Turner decided to abuse Wojo. By the 7 minute mark of he game Duke led by a whopping two points.

A great game that many forget was the very next game that UK played against Stanford a 86-85 OT victory.

P.S. B.J. Armstrong played for Iowa not Villanova. I believe the player you are thinking of is Dwayne McClain.

[ 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-24-2007 03:09 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Treyball,

The way I worded that makes it sound the way you took it. I combined two thoughts there, I know the UK Duke game was close. And I did not mean to refer to that particular game as being one of the comeback games. Sorry, I should have inserted an extra word or two on that thought.

More of the reference I was refering to was the UK vs Duke 92 and the UNC-Georgetown game of 82.
Thats what I meant, so sorry to mislead you on that thought!

MRB
Player
Member # 1361

posted 07-25-2007 12:06 AM      Profile for MRB        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The championship year under Tubby coming back against the Dookies in the NCAA Tourneyis high on my list. Always will be.
Posts: 1314 | From: CALIF | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
catlogic15
Player
Member # 1227

posted 07-25-2007 08:42 AM      Profile for catlogic15     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For sure the '98 UK-Duke game really stands out. Someone mentioned the '75 UK-IU region final and that one was great, too. wasn't that the only game IU lost over two years? Oh, and I still have a T-shirt(smaller now) from '86 that says Big Brother 85, Little Brother 51.

Georgetown-'Nova championship was a great game to watch.

Posts: 921 | From: Louisville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-25-2007 04:14 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about the IU vs Syracuse game for the NCAA title? was that in 87?

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com