TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Interesting take on "Ole Roy"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting take on "Ole Roy"
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-19-2007 08:00 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ole Roy ain't that good?
In the "what have you done for me lately" world of sports, Ole Roy is in trouble. Part of it maybe a spillover from the meltdown against Georgetown in the Elite 8, part of it is because he signed no one in 2007, and part of it is because he hasn't signed many and lost a handful of high profile verbals for 2008. So, the sky is falling... Or is it?

I'm sure Ole Roy knew that at least one of his prized freshmen would have bolted out. I mean, you didn't need to be a rocket scientist or Marty Blake to figure out that Branda Wright was a top 10 lottery pick. He also had one scholarship to give from graduating senior (Rayshawn Terry). Wes Miller was not on a scholarship in 2006-2007. But in typical Ole Roy fashion, he earmarked just a few players and that was it. Kevin Love went to UCLA (good personality match with Ben Howland, Kevin Love actually enjoys playing in slugfests). So that was it for 2007 for Ole Roy. He's done this at Kansas as well, and that frustrated Jayhawks fans even when they were madly in love with Ole Roy.

Ole Roy

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186358 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 07-19-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have always thought Ole Roy Boy was a good coach, but not a great coach.
And how hard is it to recruit at Chapel Hell?? Especially when Michael Jordan shows up at practice...

I am glad Roy is the head coach there. I will be surprised if he wins #2.

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-19-2007 12:21 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can honestly say that I have had the privilege of meeting and talking to Roy Williams and I was very impressed with him as a person and how he conducted himself at a major high school basketball tournament in my area. We may not like UNC but I have to give Roy Williams an A plus as a person but I have only been around the public Roy and can state that he comes across as a very good person. He is a great recruiter also and I don't buy into everything this writer says about him. That does not mean I am a Roy Williams fan, just saying that having had the privilege of meeting and talking to him one on one puts him into a totally different perspective with me.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 07-19-2007 01:32 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Had more than enough exposure to Ole Roy during his and my sojurn in the Sunflower State. His "Aw-shucks, dad-burn" personna will lull some to sleep but just when they nod off he sneaks in a slips it to the opposition, no matter who they are. Caveat adversaria.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 07-19-2007 04:09 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well of course I am biased as you would expect, but I have to differ with the take. Ole Roy has reached the 500 win mark quicker than any other coach. His win average is best among active coaches. Its hard to argue against his success. Will he win another NC? Remains to be seen. But then again that can be said for most any coach.

I like Roy. He is dedicated to his players and follows in the same tradition as Dean Smith as far as his loyalty to players and program. Had Kansas not messed up with the AD, etc, I truley believe he would still be at Kansas. But thank goodness things turned out the way they did.
He is a class act as was Dean.

I obviously want more NCs, no doubt, but I want them the right way!

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com