TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ok, I was really wrong!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok, I was really wrong!
jamborain
Player
Member # 2385

posted 05-16-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for jamborain   Author's Homepage   Email jamborain   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have placed myself as a pro-Tubby realist, but my greatest fear was that we would be so humiliated by the national media if he left that the program would take years to recover. I just want to say that I was wrong. We got the best guy here for the job and it was time for a change.

--------------------
"They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on UK Basketball Tradition

Posts: 835 | From: atlanta | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
eltoro
Recruit
Member # 2828

posted 05-16-2007 09:59 PM      Profile for eltoro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It takes a big man to admit when he was wrong. Now, welcome to the world of being a pro-Billy G. realist. If he continues the way he has been going it will take us years to get back to national prominence. I'm thinking 2 years.
Posts: 41 | From: Louisville | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
mr_ukkid
Player
Member # 2304

posted 05-16-2007 10:32 PM      Profile for mr_ukkid   Email mr_ukkid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard a lot of comments like that Jam, when I would talk about a coaching change. Not just from you but there were a lot of folks that would say, "You all will be sorry if we lose Tubby." or "Kentucky would regress so far we would never recover." or "Nobody will want to come here if Tubby is gone."

WEll I can't remember the last time I was this excited about Kentucky Basketball. I personally want to forget about the whole last decade of Kentucky Basketball. Ok, half a decade, but you get the idea. I remember that Pitino even stated if Kentucky is without Tubby Smith that it would set us back 15 years. Hey I was thinking about that. Wouldn't that put us back during the mid 90's. I love those days. [Big Grin]

We forgive you Jam.....Just like I hope folks forgive me for putting up with my Anti Smith talk. Golly I can't wait till OCT. I think you all will like the new mrukkid. I absolutely hated being against Coach Smith, I hated it, but I just couldn't be for him either. I knew he couldn't get the job done, his coaching style is ok for the 70's. Can't say I am not glad Coach Smith is gone. I feel like I am reborn again. I swear I'm having an out of body experience. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The point of coaching is to win Championships" --- John Calapari
mrukkid@gmail.com

Posts: 2265 | From: Wildcat in Buckeye Country! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-16-2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesssssssssssss! I had the same feelings. I never believed for one moment that one coach would determine that we could never recover. But it has been said before, no one is bigger than UK Basketball, even a coach. Those on the outside who thought we were doomed must now be believers. I can just see us running the floor with Patterson, Stevenson, Meeks, Bradley amd Crawford. But watch out for Carter, Harris, Stewart, Legion, and Jasper or Porter. I think we have a solid 10 man rotation with Porter and Williams to boot. And then next year add Jennings, Miller and Zeller and we are talking final four in 2009.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 05-16-2007 11:12 PM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about those "wise" old naysayers on here who always without exception would ask: "Suppose Tubby should leave, which I DOUBT, but suppose he
did who could we get to take his place that would be just as good?"...

Thank God those days are gone, I would always respond to them that at Kentucky you NEVER
EVER need worry about finding a quality replacement to run the BEST DANG PROGRAM IN THE
WHOLE DANG NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
jamborain
Player
Member # 2385

posted 05-17-2007 06:14 AM      Profile for jamborain   Author's Homepage   Email jamborain   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, it seems after the initial media storm that that BG smile and his availability to the media makes it tough to be critical of him. At the end of the day the recruits come because of people and possibilities and fans come because of loyalty, the media does not control the program. I think internally Patterson and Legion are tearing a lot of these guys apart, like Goodman, but it's tough to be critical of BG.

--------------------
"They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on UK Basketball Tradition

Posts: 835 | From: atlanta | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 05-17-2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What you saw on monday was a concerted effort from
UK's enemies to try and "twart" the Kentucky programs (Gillispie's) reputation as a recruiter.

In only five weeks time they have had "enough" of hearing about him from one source or other.

They KNOW that the situation at Kentucky is much different now and they are NOT liking it one bit.

They saw monday as an opportunity to pile onto
Billy G's reputation and try to bring him down a
notch or two without knowing the facts on the entire situation regarding the recruits.

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 05-17-2007 08:03 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jamborain:
but my greatest fear was that we would be so humiliated by the national media if he left that the program would take years to recover.

The only way that happens is when there is a hint of scandal, otherwise nothing else sticks. Mainly, because Kentucky (both school and state) is pretty much an easy target, as well as convenient punching bag, for most of the East Coast media no matter what we do.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-17-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two quotes here to address. The first is

quote:
my greatest fear was that we would be so humiliated by the national media if he left that the program would take years to recover.
Had UK publicly fired Tubby, then I still think this would have happened. As it happens, Tubby basically slinked away to a safer location, letting UK off the hook PR-wise.

quote:
How about those "wise" old naysayers on here who always without exception would ask: "Suppose Tubby should leave, which I DOUBT, but suppose he did who could we get to take his place that would be just as good?"...
Count me in those 'doubters'. Tubby proved me wrong about the strength of his character. The manner of his departure left a bitter taste in my mouth, but I still wish him all the best. And, for all my disappointment in how he handled things, Tubby's manner of leaving DID leave UK looking a lot better than we might have otherwise!

Gillispie was the perfect hire for UK. His rapid rise from obscurity to national prominence coincided perfectly with our vacancy. He has the personality, the drive, and the knowledge to be another Rupp or Pitino at UK.

However, his name was rarely mentioned as an alternative, and I personally knew next to nothing about him. Prophet, I think, had been pushing for him, but most of the names mentioned (Self, Matta, Donovan, Izzo, and others) would have been tough to attract to UK had Tubby left in disgrace (i.e., fired or forced to resign under pressure from the AD).

Fate has a way of smiling upon the deserving, and UK ended up with Gillispie -- a marraige made in heaven. I couldn't be happier. I think we netted a rising star that will be at UK for a long and successful (even by UK standards) tenure.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 05-17-2007 11:02 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Count me in those 'doubters'. Tubby proved me wrong about the strength of his character. The manner of his departure left a bitter taste in my mouth, but I still wish him all the best. And, for all my disappointment in how he handled things, Tubby's manner of leaving DID leave UK looking a lot better than we might have otherwise!
Call me skeptical or call me whatever you want, but I still believe Coach Smith's departure was pre-arranged, to some extent, with the athletic staff. This allowed UK to save face PR-wise, it allowed Coach Smith to take another less stressful job at a D 1 school and it worked out for the best all-around for everyone.

You just will not make me believe that all of this could have happened by happenstance, especially since one of the employees of the UK Athletics Department formerly worked at the Univ of Minn.

For that reason, I do not see one bit of taint on Coach Smith's character and like those above, if, and it is a big if, the results on the court are as great as the results off the court have been, then I was wrong in believing UK would have a hard time replacing Coach Smith. But, I will reserve judgment on that until the next 3-4 years have passed (hoepfully it won't take that long).

[ 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 05-17-2007 12:23 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What well-earned and well-deserved euphoria for The Big Blue Nation! Makes the next 5 months or so much more enjoyable and the anticipation so intense. It's been interesting to read the many posts and opinions on what looks to be a bright and blue future. One area of interest however has been noticeably absent of comments: X's and O's. Perhaps it's because Coach Gillispie sort of arose from the unknown, or he wasn't in a publicity-rich program, or he doesn't have a lengthy head coach resume. Basketball savvy posters such as Trey Ball, CatFanRick, etc. haven't given much, if any, insight into what can be expected from Gillispie's Wildcats inside the lines. It's possible, I suppose, that one won't know until a few games have been played but personally I'd like opinions from those with coaching or playing experience and insight.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-17-2007 01:31 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Count me as one who wanted very much for us to do better but wasnt sure who we would get to do that. After Donovan said no - I was more worried cause I didnt want Izzo, Creame etc. I wanted Coach Smith out that much I knew.

We got the BEST coach available and for that I am very thankful of Mitch B and his search..

He has done wonders for the state of UK sports and I belive we all need to gave a big AMEN to him. [Big Grin]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com