TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Gillispie to interview

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gillispie to interview
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 03-23-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Informed by email from very reliable source Gillispie told his Texas A&M players that he was going to Lexington to interview.

[ 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: prophet ]

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 07:43 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That might explain his demeanor this afternoon in the press conference at which he was asked about the job. I paid more attention to his expression and body language than I did his answers, and they were very telling. You could tell he was holding something back, not just being appropriately vague.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 03-23-2007 07:49 PM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I told you guys in my post he was "tight lipped"
when asked about it. He was asked if he had said "anything" to his players and he said:
"Why would I talk to them?"...Bayer, I too watched his expressions closely and thought the same thing. Is this Mith Barhart's "answer" to
Rich Brooks? Someone on here already said Gillespe
teams play the old halfcourt "slow it down" style.
Good God in Heaven, Can you imagine that!

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 07:55 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was good enough to be the Cards in what was described as "almost a home game."

--------------------

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 03-23-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's no secret that my first choice (posted weeks ago) was Gillispie. I've watched a dozen or so games this season on ESPN FC and satellite and his team runs with the opportunity, but it should be noted that there was a talent deficit between Aggies and teams such as KU, UT, OSU and even TT. With the talent after a full year of recruiting I think he'll be offensive-minded enough for us UK fans. I also think the returning players will enjoy playing for him.

Maybe Barnhardt actually read my email.....nah.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:02 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
prophet-how do we know you aren't Mitch Barnhart? [Wink]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-23-2007 08:08 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, How do we know?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BTW, don't rule out the possibility that this may be a ruse to take the heat off what the AD is really doing.

--------------------

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-23-2007 08:21 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe prophet is actually an agent and his client is Gillespie and the true ruse is in the spelling of his name......Profit??????

[Wink]

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 03-23-2007 08:22 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My guess is Gillispie is not the real Barnhardt's first choice, that would be Donovan, but Gillispie is on the short list and was available for the interview. I keep hearing the term "big financial contributors" and "horse people" from different sources. You guys who live in the Commonwealth, could you fill me in a bit on that?

--------------------

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-23-2007 08:27 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Considering the connections you have with inside sources, horse people and contributors...... I've been looking to you for my information.....

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:28 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most of the big financial contributors were/are coal people from E. Ky, although there may be some nouveau riche around the area. In the past some of the local owners of horse farms were big into supporting the UK BB program, but many of the horse farms have been bought out by Middle Eastern families. There are a few of the locals still around, but it is not like it used to be.

--------------------

prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 03-23-2007 08:35 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No inside connections with anyone with a lot of money. If I did there are some great investments in Panama and that's no joke. Wish I were 20-30 years younger but left all that stress behind. Having been in broadcast business for 30 years I do have many connections across the country...including WCCO in the Twin Cities. But that's another story for another post. What was the guy's name, Seth or something, that was a force in UK athletics a few years ago?

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:36 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seth Hancock, Claiborne Farm.

--------------------

prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 03-23-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's him. Not around anymore?

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:45 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's still around, but not as involved as he once was. The Sutton thing did not help him and RP was very different about who he allowed inside. Coach Smith was much less involved with those people, hence his lack of support from that constituency.

[ 03-23-2007, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-23-2007 08:46 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seth Hancock..... sounds sooooo gothic..

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-23-2007 08:47 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Claiborne Farms was one of those that was bought out. Actually I think it almost, or did go bankrupt! Then it was sold at auction!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
His dad was Bull Hancock, one of the great breeders in the race game.

Don't even go there FlaCatz. [Big Grin]

[ 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 08:49 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry hamilton, but not Claiborne. It is still family owned. You may be thinking about Spendthrift Farm. It went public and then did end up bankrupting.

[ 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-23-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any kin to John Hancock?

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 09:10 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only on his Dam's side. [Wink]

--------------------

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-23-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Watch your dam language

[ 03-23-2007, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: FlaCatz ]

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, no offense meant. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-23-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You might have been referring to Calumet which had financial problems and the owner passed away.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 09:49 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, Calumet was bought by Henryk de Kwiatkowski (sp) who died a few years ago, but I think his trust still owns it.

Just went to the Calumet Farm website and in fact his family and a group of trustees operate the farm now.

[ 03-23-2007, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------

Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 03-23-2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jim Host was mentioned as a multi-million supporter of UK who would help UK "pull" any
and all strings to lure Billy Donnavan to Kentucky.
And Prophet, If Gillespie is good enough for you,
then he would be acceptible for me also. Bayer already pointed out he beat Ricky P. in a Home
game atmosphere for Pitino.

[ 03-23-2007, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Bluecat ]

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 03-23-2007 10:14 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I forgot about Host. Of course, he is the head of the Commission which is in the process of getting a new arena for UofL.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com